12Y MOS Texas NG

4,125 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by txaggie_06
TexagChris17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags,

I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with MOS 12Y, Geospatial Engineer? I am looking at joining the Texas National Guard, and this MOS caught my eye because I have always loved geography. I have a few questions: What is the job like, how is AIT, and what type of clearance do you need for it? Also, how is being in the National Guard in general?Thanks!
Complaint Investigator
AG
That sounds like it would be boring as F on drill weekends and you'd get stuck doing something else, but I have no idea. Best bet is to get a recruiter to let you talk to the unit you'd be joining first.

Guard is ok. It will impact your civilian career one way or another. Mobilizing for natural disasters last minute. Drill that spans Fri-Sun and two weeks isn't the summer. Employers have to deal with it, but they don't all really like it.

Go intel and wear civilian clothes to drill and have it translate to cool stuff in the civilian world. Top secret required most intel positions.
clarythedrill
I believe that MOS is basically a map maker. Not sure how busy you would be on drill weekends, but your annual drill I would think would see you doing lots of work making maps for different units who are drilling all over the state. Might be a fun MOS, but I see upward mobility ending at about the SFC level. I am sure it stovepipes with other MOSs at MSG, but since there are not many of that MOS, promotions would be as slow as glaciers.

Look into 88L and 88N if you live close to the coast.
Tango_Mike
clarythedrill said:

I believe that MOS is basically a map maker. Not sure how busy you would be on drill weekends, but your annual drill I would think would see you doing lots of work making maps for different units who are drilling all over the state. Might be a fun MOS, but I see upward mobility ending at about the SFC level. I am sure it stovepipes with other MOSs at MSG, but since there are not many of that MOS, promotions would be as slow as glaciers.

Wouldn't all of those be in the Reserves, not the Guard?

12Y indeed works in map-making (at least they're who give you maps in Iraq/Afghan), but they also do some digital stuff like TIGRNET, BFT, etc (digital map and unit tracking programs/equipment)

Don't believe the hype on intel, they're not CIA spook secret squirrel stuff. You'll be making inane weather briefs and plotting the location of the Krasnovians for the evening commander's update brief.
Complaint Investigator
AG
Tango_Mike said:

clarythedrill said:

12Y indeed works in map-making (at least they're who give you maps in Iraq/Afghan), but they also do some digital stuff like TIGRNET, BFT, etc (digital map and unit tracking programs/equipment)

Don't believe the hype on intel, they're not CIA spook secret squirrel stuff. You'll be making inane weather briefs and plotting the location of the Krasnovians for the evening commander's update brief.
Our guys work with local PD's in plain clothes. And it will get you a better job than a 12Y on the federal side - not talking about military only. In order to make the military worth it, you have to find ways it translates to the real world and how it can benefit you there.
TexagChris17
AG
clarythedrill said:

What is 88N like? Is it just working receiving/shipping paperwork? I work in logistics and I do a lot of that so I was hoping to do something different.
TexagChris17
AG
Complaint Investigator said:

Tango_Mike said:

clarythedrill said:

Our guys work with local PD's in plain clothes. And it will get you a better job than a 12Y on the federal side - not talking about military only. In order to make the military worth it, you have to find ways it translates to the real world and how it can benefit you there.

What are some other good MOS' that can translate on the civilian side?
padreislandagfan
Nothing in the guard will transfer over to civilian training very well, It's combat units.
All the good MOS that transfer to civilian work are in the reserves.
The USAR is all support units.

clarythedrill
TexagChris17 said:

clarythedrill said:

What is 88N like? Is it just working receiving/shipping paperwork? I work in logistics and I do a lot of that so I was hoping to do something different.
Those two MOSs are on Army ships. One maintains and runs the ship while the other works cargo (stevedores). The Army has large ships that sail from home port in the States to where ever they are needed around the globe. They are used to transfer supplies and equipment from the large Merchant Marine ships to the shore when the water is too shallow for the big ones to come in.

Highest ranking person on the ship is a Chief Warrant Officer, and highest enlisted is a Sergeant First Class. The crew will have a cook and a medic to go along with the small crew. Seems like a really fun job, but you do pretty much tap out at the E7 level, when you make E8 you are shorebound for the rest of your career.

Edit: Those two MOSs could be 88L and K, not N, but not sure.
Tango_Mike

Tango_Mike said:

clarythedrill said:

Well, I guess if you want to join the National Guard to be a local beat cop, there you have it...
Complaint Investigator
AG
Tango_Mike said:

Tango_Mike said:

clarythedrill said:

Well, I guess if you want to join the National Guard to be a local beat cop, there you have it...

Who pissed in your cheerios? Damn dude, I was just saying the intel stuff translates well to a fed job and our guys actually get to do **** on drill weekends.. You poo poo'd on it for whatever reason. Then you come back salty AF "well, if you want to be a local beat cop." Maybe they want to be a detective. Or maybe they want the TS clearance to get a good job. Have a beer. Chill out. Allow someone else to have another insight into things.
WBBQ74
AG
Retired TxARNG here; 4 years RA, 26 years RC. What the previous poster said about combat units. If you want to enlist in the Guard you need to consider several factors:

1. You want to get into a unit that is reasonably close to your home. You will attend drill every month, one weekend, and very likely go to Fort Hood that summer for your AT for 2 weeks. In normal years. As an EM you really need to be within 50 miles of your armory so that you aren't making a SERIOUS drive back and forth. Longer drives wear you out and become a reason for you to want to quit. FIND A UNIT CLOSE TO HOME.

2. Once you have identified a unit that is close. Go visit and see what type of unit it is. An infantry unit? An Engineer unit? An artillery unit? Whatever. Then you check on the MOSs available in that unit, what vacancies they have, i.e., where the slots are for you. You want to choose an MOS where you have a chance to grow - get promoted - over time in that unit. When you enlist, you sign up for a certain MOS - job skill - and that is the job skill you get initially trained up for (BCT/AIT). You pretty much get to pick it one time, kinda like getting married. So you have to pick wisely. Picking some 'kewl' MOS out of the sky that has NO slots anywhere in the state or at least 300 miles away from your home WILL NOT WORK for you as a young EM. Geography is a very important part of a good experience in the Guard. Pick an MOS that 'fits' a unit close to your home. Trust me on this. Over time, the rank is more important than the MOS. All MOS have good/bad points to them, you have to balance options/choices/benefits. If the unit close to your home is a Armor company, then sign up to be a tanker. Choose the MOS that the unit pretty much is - that way you put yourself into a position to do good and get promoted because there are going to be chances to move up. If you pick an MOS where there is just one of them in the unit and it maxes out at E4 you will NEVER get promoted to NCO unless you leave the unit - drive far away. Don't do this, you won't be happy over time.

3. The Guard is a larger/local organization in Texas. Plenty of growth/promotion opportunities over time because there is a larger unit organization structure. The Army Reserve is more a composite organization of smaller, dissimilar units, mostly company level. Meaning it can be easier to get promoted in the Guard because there are more chances to move up. This is a generalization obviously but depending on where you live, a USAR unit might be a dead end kinda deal.

4. You take a 5 year look at your life. Where do you want to be, what do you want to be doing in 5 years. Hard to see much past that. How would enlisting in the RC fit into your 5 year life plan? Think hard and choose well, not on just 'kewl' stuff. Hard questions and hard answers.

5. Be mentally prepared to get deployed someday. It ain't just for pay and bennies. It could happen and you signed up for it. Uncle Sam could call your unit up and you have to go. Where ever it is. Serious.

Good luck. Serving your country is an honor. Salute.
Complaint Investigator
AG
TexagChris17 said:

Tango_Mike said:

clarythedrill said:

What are some other good MOS' that can translate on the civilian side?
I'm pretty familiar with the aviation side of things so I'll suggest more of those.

15Q - air traffic controller. FAA was hiring like mad recently and the pay was awesome.

15T or 15U - UH60/CH47 mechanics (I left out 15R, but they are mechanics as well just don't get the opportunity to fly.) Get your A&P license, go work at an airline. They are hiring a ton of mechanics just like they are hiring pilots. Could also go contract overseas and make 6 figures working on aircraft

Finance officers - opportunities to get a lot of comptroller certificates/experience

Pilot - rotary transition programs because the airlines is hurting bad. The pay sucks the first few years, but gets better the longer you are in.
Ag_SGT
AG
TexagChris17 said:

Howdy Ags,

I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with MOS 12Y, Geospatial Engineer? I am looking at joining the Texas National Guard, and this MOS caught my eye because I have always loved geography. I have a few questions: What is the job like, how is AIT, and what type of clearance do you need for it? Also, how is being in the National Guard in general?Thanks!
I wish I had seen this sooner but a rarely make it over to this board. I was a 12Y, although it was 81T back when I joined and absolutely loved it but I was active duty so I am not sure sure what your experience in the National Guard would be like. Despite what others have said, no it isn't just map making although that is a small part of the job. Saying we are map makers would be akin to saying infantry men make bullets just because they use them. We use maps, imagery and other geospatial data to analyze the terrain and create geospatial products that allow downstream viewers the ability to visualize the battle field before ever stepping foot there. That could include things like route analysis, line of site analysis, combined obstacle overlays, site suitability analysis, 3D Modeling, 3d fly thrus, web application development, etc. You will also learn things like coding and python scripting which are very marketable on the outside. Most of the times you will work side by side with intel folks in the GEOINT cells, thats what I did and after the Army reorg it seems like most all units are now aligned like that.

So far as jobs after the Army, so long as you have a degree in geosciences to go along with that experience in the Army, the job opportunities are limitless. Name an industry, I can almost guarantee you they have GIS analysts on staff. Me personally, I got out in 2005 and worked in the private sector for a small company for a few years where my main tasks were LiDAR mapping and GPS grade surveying. Loved the job but eventually went into government doing GIS for the VA. My main job there was mapping out where Veterans live and suggesting new points of care based on drive time and distance.as well as doing web application development. Eventually I missed my roots so I just started a job at Fort Leonard Wood, MO with the Army back in July. My job now is a little more high level and focused on the Cartography side of the house, I will be working with our partners at the NGA when it comes to map development to ensure standardized mass produced maps are meeting the needs of soldiers in the field. If you do enlist, you will come thru here as the school for GIS is here in MO. When I first got back into government my initial goal was to spend enough time in to retire and then transition back to the private sector but, right now I'm loving this job so I may stay longer. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
txaggie_06
AG
There are 12Y positions in Civil Affairs (Reserve) and are one of the positons that work out of the Civil Information Management Cell. You would be gathering data and like the previous person said, doing that job.

I would stay away from the 88 position they talked about. I had several of my guys have to switch to that and then be told later on that it was going away and they would have to get another MOS.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.