US Navy nomenclature question

2,997 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bodie Broadus
bqce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was just watching a McHale's Navy rerun, and as was Navy custom, JO's were referred to as Mister (Last Name). This custom was still practiced during my time 75-82.. Did the new (wo)manning requirements do away with this practice?
Stat Monitor Repairman
I recall it being the protocol to call JOs by Mr. or Ms. _________ as opposed to Ens._____ or Ltjg _______.

After Lt. I think it was the norm to say LT ________.
bqce
AG
We called everyone below LCDR Mister. I was just wondering if that custom is still observed, what with female officers being so prevalent now. Or are you saying JO's are called Mister or Misses?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Yeah, I think that was the norm. I had the misfortune of working with a couple of female JOs fresh out the academy and the norm was to call them Miss [whatever]. This was the mid to late 90s.

bqce
AG
OK - thanks for the update.
bigtruckguy3500
Interesting. This is news to me. I've never been called anything but sir or by rank. I did get an e-mail a couple weeks ago where they addressed me as Mister ___. I thought they may have been confused as to my rank. But maybe not.
bqce
AG
When were you serving as a Naval officer?
bigtruckguy3500
Currently am an LT.
Postal
AG
Yes this still happens. I'm in the USAF, but I'm stationed with the Navy, and JOs are callled Mister.

One of my all time favorite movies is Mister Roberts.
CanyonAg77
AG
My AF officer daughter did a FAIP tour. When we visited her squadron, she had a jar on her desk marked "Sir Charge". Apparently it cost a student a dollar every time he used "sir" instead of "mam".
Scruffy
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

My AF officer daughter did a FAIP tour. When we visited her squadron, she had a jar on her desk marked "Sir Charge". Apparently it cost a student a dollar every time he used "sir" instead of "mam".
Reminds me of this:
https://www.duffelblog.com/2018/01/point-counterpoint-good-morning-sir-vs-not-dude-moron/
ABHag
AG
12-16 ABH3. If you are talking down it's Mr. or Mrs. for O-1 and O-2
Post removed:
by user
Bodie Broadus
Kind of related to this topic but, I knew an E3 in the Navy and his last name was Seaman. Seaman Seaman.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.