Movie Trailer - Top Gun Maverick

4,681 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Okay, the story may be crap....again, but damn, the aerial sequences in the trailer are impressive. Looks like at least some of them involve putting Tom Cruise in the back seat of a 2-seat F-18 and pretending it's a single.

CT'97
AG
What kind of collar is that he's wearing at the end of the trailer? Looks almost like the helmet attachment the SR 71 pilots had for their pressure suits.
CanyonAg77
AG
Definitely a pressure/space suit collar. U-2 is the only aircraft I know that currently uses pressure suit.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Likely hood of being a 30 year O-6 aviator????
CanyonAg77
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

You're going to have to suspend believability for a lot more than his rank to watch the movie.
StrangeLuv
AG
Quote:

Let's do the math:

Top Gun (1986)

For a guy to go to Top Gun, he's already an instructor pilot. If everything goes right, he could be ready to go by age 30, with 7 years in the Navy, to include pilot training.

If Maverick was 30 in 1986, that make's him 63 today.

Current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is 63.

So... would the Navy let a guy, with 3 mig kills, continue to fly until he didn't want to? They might.

DogCo84
AG
Pilots like Robin Olds come to mind. While he retired as a BG, rank/power didn't seem to be that important to him?

From his Wikipedia entry:
Quote:

When Operation Linebacker began in May 1972, American fighter jets returned to the offense in the skies over North Vietnam for the first time in nearly four years. Navy and Marine Corps fighters, reaping the benefits of their TOPGUN program, immediately enjoyed considerable success. In contrast by June, as Olds had predicted, the Air Force's fighter community was struggling with a nearly 1:1 kill-loss ratio. To the new Inspector General, Lt Gen Ernest C. Hardin Jr., Olds offered to take a voluntary reduction in rank to colonel so he could return to operational command and straighten out the situation. Olds decided to leave the Air Force when the offer was refused (he was offered another inspection tour instead) and he retired on June 1, 1973.
HollywoodBQ
AG
StrangeLuv said:

Quote:

Let's do the math:

Top Gun (1986)

For a guy to go to Top Gun, he's already an instructor pilot. If everything goes right, he could be ready to go by age 30, with 7 years in the Navy, to include pilot training.

If Maverick was 30 in 1986, that make's him 63 today.

Current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is 63.

So... would the Navy let a guy, with 3 mig kills, continue to fly until he didn't want to? They might.
Remember that the movie opens to a text introduction that reads - "Indian Ocean - Present Day"

So, the movie is not necessarily set in 1986.

And Maverick was a "Lieutenant" in the Navy which means O-3. Assuming 1986, he could have made O-3 after 4 years in service so, if he was 26 in 1986, he might only be 59 y/o in 2019.

Now, if you take "Present Day" to be later than 1986, he could be even younger in 2019.

I'm sure a Navy guy will chime in but, I'm guessing that there aren't any O-6s who are in the cockpit.
GAC06
AG
By law mandatory retirement for an O-6 is at 30 years. For an O-8 it's 35 years. If he was a four year lieutenant in 1986 (very unlikely for someone so junior to be sent to TG) that would put him at 38 years in 2020 when the movie comes out.

Plus Goose's son is supposed to feature prominently. He was a toddler in the first movie, so that would make him about 35 for this movie. Somehow I doubt the character will be a relatively senior O-4.

But as mentioned above, I bet timing will be one of the easiest things to suspend disbelief for.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

But as mentioned above, I bet timing will be one of the easiest things to suspend disbelief for.
How about the fact that he trained on the F-14, then the F-18, and apparently, is either an astronaut or a U-2 pilot?
GAC06
AG
And there was an F-14 flying at the end of the trailer. Supposedly they craned an F-14 onto the carrier for filming.
CanyonAg77
AG
GAC06 said:

And there was an F-14 flying at the end of the trailer. Supposedly they craned an F-14 onto the carrier for filming.
We aviation nerds are too picky to enjoy almost any aviation movie. Unless it's a really sorry movie that we only watch because the air-to-air photography of great aircraft is so amazing.

(cough) Strategic Air Command (cough)

Set it to 1080p and full screen
DogCo84
AG
A few answers?

Navy Answers How a 57-Year-Old Maverick Could Still Feel the Need for Speed
GAC06
AG
Not really
F4GIB71
One of my favorite memories was my Dad taking me to see that movie when it first came out. He was in ROTC at Ga Tech when Pearl was bombed. Quit school at flew P-39s in South Pacific, then became air traffic controller after the War. I was raised that I had a obligation to serve so get into ROTC when I went to college. Planned on GT too but saw the light and drank the Aggie cool aid. I also, in spite of loving this movie, again saw the light and chose TAC over SAC.
Rabid Cougar
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

GAC06 said:

We aviation nerds are too picky to enjoy almost any aviation movie. Unless it's a really sorry movie that we only watch because the air-to-air photography of great aircraft is so amazing.

Here, Here!

PLUS has an actual AF bomber pilot as the lead actor! Jimmy Stewart Arc Light Mission.

bufrilla
AG
I'm going to address the Top Gun discussion here. I'm a Top Gun Graduate (1976). My class was small, only 6 aircraft/aircrew. At that time, normal make up was max of 8. This was a class of 2 F-14s, 2 F-4s, and of all things, the first USAF 106s to "fly" in a Top Gun class ( Navy/Marine could not fill the class). I was in the F-4 section, which was made up of 1 Navy and 1 Marine. Just off cruise aboard CVA 59 and VF 11 and VMFA 451 were the two fighter squadrons aboard. The navy crews were all just completing their first cruise, so all in the 26-max 28 age range. I was part of the Marine F-4 crew and we both had more than triple the flight time of the Navy crews and the USAF crews. (Marines were in our 30's, me - 33)
Sending crews after first cruise assured that, in all most all cases, the crew would make a second cruise with the squadron and the Top Gun expertise would be provided first hand to that squadrons new/old crews. Top Gun is one heck of a flying experience, everyday it air to air against the best pilots and the best adversary a/c.
And the debriefs/the instruction/the passing of air combat experiences (even at the bar) are valuable tools you take back to your squadron and pass on through instruction/flights.
I have flown with 0-6s that had 30 years and were still flying, but unusual time frame (Korea, Vietnam, and up to the very early 80's. Possible, but flying skills in a high G environment would have definitely decreased. An O-6 would not have gotten the flight time to maintain those skills. Sorry Maverick & Hollywood.
As for me, I was an Infantry Officer my first tour in Vietnam (68-69) with India Co/3rd Batt/3rd Marine Regt. and then to flight school and a Marine F-4 Squadron early 1971. Have over 4,000 hours flight time with 3,400 plus in The F-4 Phantom (F-4B, F-4J, F-4N, F-4S). Includes combat tours, a carrier cruise, (8 consecutive years in a squadron).
Semper Fi
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

PLUS has an actual AF bomber pilot as the lead actor

Your photo doesn't link, but the B-52 was the second time he'd flown a bomber in combat.

Rabid Cougar
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

PLUS has an actual AF bomber pilot as the lead actor

Your photo doesn't link, but the B-52 was the second time he'd flown a bomber in combat.

Being a "VIP" I would have thought they would not have allowed him to do so.
CanyonAg77
AG
He joined the reserves before WWII,and yes, the brass pushed him to just do propaganda films. He had to fight themto fly combat missions.

He was the real deal.
F4GIB71
Highly recommend the book Mission - JImmy Stewart and the Fight for Europe by Robert Matzen. He was the real deal!
bufrilla
AG
Stewart's stepson, Ron McLean, a Marine 1Lt, was killed in Vietnam in June 1969, He was a member of 3rd Recon and was KIA just south of the DMZ and north of Vandergrift.
ravingfans
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

GAC06 said:

fun seeing the old bomber plant. I worked at several buildings in that takeoff sequence in my time at General Dynamics before Lockheed Martin bought the division. That was a really cool movie all the way through.

How many crew members did it take to fly the B-36 anyway? I counted about a dozen or so--WOW!
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

How many crew members did it take to fly the B-36 anyway? I counted about a dozen or so--WOW!

Wiki says 13
INOX
haha...."One on the ramp, one in the hanger"
Trinity Ag
S
Rabid Cougar said:

The irony of the trailer was listening to 68-year old Ed Harris -- playing a 2-star Admiral -- lecturing Maverick that he is "too old".

The average 2-star is in his early/mid 50s.
Rabid Cougar
AG
GAC06 said:

Its the Iranian Uber bad guy.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Trinity Ag said:

Rabid Cougar said:

The irony of the trailer was listening to 68-year old Ed Harris -- playing a 2-star Admiral -- lecturing Maverick that he is "too old".

The average 2-star is in his early/mid 50s.
I had not thought of that.

That being my age....my old lady from the Corps is a Navy 1-star. Commander of the Naval District of Washington. Sounds like he is below average....I guess he has not kept the CNO's flowers watered well enough.
CanyonAg77
AG
Extended trailer....still looking forward to seeing it, regardless of how bad the plot is.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.