Corps medical requirements

2,421 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bigtruckguy3500
Gator90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can one join the corps if they have Type 1 diabetes?
Rabid Cougar
AG
They now have Cadets in mobility chairs. I would think there are no more "physical / medical requirements" .
Trinity Ag
S
Gator90 said:

Yes.
bigtruckguy3500
Gator90 said:

I seem to recall one cadet with a pump around 2008 or 2009. Just saw him in Duncan once, don't know anything else about him. So long as they're good about managing their blood sugar, and their upper classmen and buddies know what to do incase they pass out from low blood sugar, I'd say they can probably have a very normal cadet experience.
APHIS AG
A few years ago, the Corps was cracking down on the overweights. Are they still doing it.
chickencoupe16
AG
APHIS AG said:

A few years ago, the Corps was cracking down on the overweights. Are they still doing it.

I don't know what you mean by a few years ago, but, at least for 12-16, the answer is no. They started remedial PT for those failing height/weight or PT. The problem is that your PT test is monitored by your buddy or maybe an upperclassmen. So the failures generally find each other and stretch the definition of a push up and sit up. Nearly any 18-22 year old in the world can do the minimums if it's Yell Leader pushups.

There was also the problem of cadets who were scoring high on the PT test having to go to remedial PT because they were technically overweight. Even when you could properly identity those in need, you could send them to remedial, but if they failed to improve, nothing actually happened. Barring the cadet just skipping remedial, I don't think there were ever any real consequences.
Zulu451
AG
Cannot say yes or no on the Corps, but you will not be able to get a waiver for military service with Type 1 diabetes.
bigtruckguy3500
Zulu451 said:

Cannot say yes or no on the Corps, but you will not be able to get a waiver for military service with Type 1 diabetes.
Never say never. Lots of factors involved, branch, job, need, etc., But I know of one type 1 diabetic in the Navy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.