28 March 2011

1,363 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Naveronski
Rabid Cougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spec Dennis Cullen Poulin

On 28 March 2011 I was with this young man when he sustained fatal injuries in a serious Cougar MRAP wreck. He was the gunner in my truck when we side swiped an ANA pickup as it passed another vehicle on a hill. The Cougar fishtailed on the pavement and when the tires hit the gravel shoulder the truck went airborne in a barrel roll. The PFC sitting across from me and I went to knock Poulins legs out from under him during the fishtails but were slammed back into our seats as the truck went airborne. I vividly remember seeing sky turn to ground three times in the window over the PFCs shoulder followed by a hard slam as the truck landed on its side directly behind me. After I cut myself free from the seat harness I crawled out of the turret opening and found Dennis still tethered to the truck. He had sustained traumatic injuries due to being flayed against the ground outside the truck. I checked him. He was still alive and was trying to get up. I attended him for all of 30 seconds until the crew from the following truck burst upon the scene and immediately attended Dennis and the rest of the truck crew.

Dennis survived the Dustoff flight back to FoB Wright's FST. The Air Force doctors did all that they could do to sustain his life... if just for a little while. Me and the other crew were busted up pretty good and we sat and waited our turns to be attended by the staff. We really didn't care if they saw us or not.

Dennis was flown out that evening to Bahgram and then to Germany. He survived until his mother and sister arrived and passed on 31 March.
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
May he never be forgotten.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.