Fish Drill Team once agains wins Tulane Mardi Gras Drill Meet

2,496 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
relapse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Tulane Mardi Gras Drill Meet was today and it looks like our fish beat Norwich by .74 points to once again bring home the trophy.

FDT got 1st in Platoon Personnel Inspection and Platoon Exhibition Drill.
Due to injuries, one of the hounds was the second individual exhibition and brought home 3rd place.

It's amazing that a drill team composed entirely of freshmen routinely beats the best drill teams from around the country including Norwich, Westpoint and The Citadel.
relapse
AG
Scores were updated and Westpoint came in 3rd.
It was highlighted like The Citadel was 3rd but they were 3 points behind Westpoint.
munch96
AG
Whoop!
relapse
AG
First Place Overall Trophy:

You can view more at https://www.facebook.com/AFFDTM/posts/10156874322189627
munch96
AG
Will there be a comprehensive list of placing for all the events?
relapse
AG
munch96 said:

Will there be a comprehensive list of placing for all the events?
They got 1st overall
1st in Platoon Personnel Inspection
3rd in Platoon Basic Drill
2nd in Squad Basic Drill
1st in Platoon Exhibition Drill
8th in Color Guard (I think I counted that one correctly)

In Individual Exhibition - fish Walker was pretty far down and Hound Forlenza (filling in for an injured fish) was 3rd.

To see how every team placed - score sheet
74OA
AG
For those who may not know, the Team is entirely composed of young freshmen, which means it is disbanded and freshly reconstituted from scratch every year. They compete against teams manned by experienced upperclassmen. The Team uses heavy decommissioned ex-military rifles.

Someone remind me specifically which rifle the Team drills with and its weight, please.
relapse
AG
Looking at the pictures from last year's meet - there are so many teams who just dress "sloppy". FDT has the best uniform by far.
munch96
AG
Thanks for the info! The live feeds on facbook were great!
munch96
AG
74OA said:

Someone remind me specifically which rifle the Team drills with and its weight, please.

Drill is done with 1903a3 rifles. The practice ones have lead down the barrels making them weigh 12-15 pounds if I recall.

The performance ones are standard at around nine pounds. Tossing those around seem like feathers in comparison.
Fly Army 97
Do the other units take this as seriously? What is it besides hard work and disclipline that makes us so good year in and year out? How is the competition?
Whiskey Before Breakfast
AG
bigtruckguy3500
Fly Army 97 said:

Do the other units take this as seriously? What is it besides hard work and disclipline that makes us so good year in and year out? How is the competition?

A few take it really seriously. Norwich is by far our biggest threat most years. Most units go up and down in their motivation and interest level as people graduate and stuff.

Also, only a handful of schools compete in all categories. If you don't score in all categories, which are equally weighted, you can't win overall.

We do well in exhibition because of our routine and size. We do well in the regulation and inspection because fish are disciplined and good at memorizing and squaring away uniforms.

Even though most think exhibition is the priority to get first in, I think first in platoon regulation is where the real bragging rights are.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Unsung heroes !
APHIS AG
Well done. Thanks for posting OP for last years results were never posted.
Rock1982
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Fish drill team formed back in 1946 !
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.