Oldest Son Accepted

2,473 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by relapse
Greg2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has been contacted by the Corps - they have him slotted for F-2.

Can we get any feedback on that Unit? Another board told me to ask here.

Thanks in advance.
CanyonAg77
AG
I don't know that we can help you a lot. A lot of us have been out so long that our points of view are useless. An outift's character and attitude can shift in a few years.

I'd suggest trying to find a Facebook page or web site for the unit or their parents. I'd ask the Commandant's office for info about their GPA and awards.

See if he can do the Spend the Night with the Corps event.

Finally I would look at their size. I'm not sure how things work now, but because outfits can recruit, some units are huge. E-2 used to be huge, since everyone wanted a chance to be Rev's handler.

A unit too small might not be stable. A unit too large is going to have limited leadership opportunities. Only one guy can be CO, whether there's 20 in the unit or 200.
barney94
AG
Do not take anyone's opinion about an outfit that is more than one year removed from it. Things can change fast.

Be careful about taking parents' opinions, because they could have a beef of some sort which may or may not be valid.

My son chose an outfit based on outdated perceptions and it did not turn out well to say the least. If I had it to do over again, I'd ask him if he likes planes, tanks, or ships best, and go pot-luck on outfit from there. At the very least I'd make sure he does the research on his own and makes the decision on his own if he's going to try to choose.

First and foremost, make sure he is joining the Corps first and the outfit second, because there's no guarantee he's staying in one outfit all four years. For better or worse, that's the way it is and he needs to be prepared for it.
bigtruckguy3500
barney94 said:

Do not take anyone's opinion about an outfit that is more than one year removed from it. Things can change fast.

This!

Some folks will come on here and say great things about their outfit, and how it's the best (even though 99% of the time everyone's outfit is the best). But a lot can change in an outfit very quickly.

That being said, really good outfits rarely go bad. If they do, it's usually a very slow process (with few exceptions). Bad outfits tend to stay kinda bad until they get a good group of leaders that come through, then they can actually improve quite a bit very quickly.

Also, most of the time you pick the outfit you spend the night with.

Good luck to your kid. A lot has changed since I was in, but I'm sure he'll still have a blast and have no regrets joining.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Unless things have changed, he'll put in preference for his outfit at his new student conference. Right now I assume he's on a list that F-2 will turn in for prospects they want to save slots for. Outfits get and don't get prospects they think they have recruited and locked in every year and prospects end up without the slot they thought they had.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I just noticed the username. I was at the last show in 2015 at the LA Forum. Incredible.

Good luck to your Son. And tell him not to worry, the hair will grow back.
Greg2112
Awesome - thank you all very much.

We just assumed that a cadet just got placed and there was no choice in the matter.

We will get him registered to the Spend the Night event.

Really appreciate the feedback.
74OA
AG
Assuming outfits are still grouped by academic major in many cases, I'd certainly recommend going that route. It sure helped me...........
CanyonAg77
AG
74OA said:

Assuming outfits are still grouped by academic major in many cases, I'd certainly recommend going that route. It sure helped me...........

That's been gone for decades, though I think they do have engineering and pre-professional outfits.
74OA
AG
Really?! I always thought that was one of the smartest things the Corps did.

2004FIGHTINTXAG
All true about change. I was in F2 back in the day. It was all male and wasn't an engineering outfit when I was in.
chick79
AG
My brother was F2 class of 73. He and most of his class were business majors. Do they still say "F2, what's it to you snake?"
Fly Army 97
They do.

For the OP. Units illustrate their brand (only term I can think of) on the Corps website. Some focus on Army contracting, some claim an Ag centric unit, and F2 promotes academics - whatever that means. I'd be interested to see how well that matches up.
bigplay
Email me at shawes@corps.tamu.edu and I explain the process of picking outfits. I run the Corps recruiting process so I can give you the real facts. COL (Ret) Sam Hawes '81

p.s. F-2 is a great outfit.
bigtruckguy3500
CanyonAg77 said:

74OA said:

That's been gone for decades, though I think they do have engineering and pre-professional outfits.

GVA restarted this in the mid 2000's. I think it continued till maybe 2011 or 12. There were generally speaking, technical outfits, and non-technical. So engineering and hard sciences and then just about everything else. There were also a few special outfits created, like Sq20 for preprofessional students (doctors, lawers, PTs, etc), and A-2 for architectural/construction science type students.

It was generally a good idea in my opinion. However a lot of the time you'd have only freshmen and a few upperclassmen who remained in their same major. So a lot of the technical outfits actually had almost all history, polisci, type majors for upperclassmen. Kinda defeated the purpose.

Also, yeah, e-mail Col. Hawes. He'll get you all the infor about all the outfits. And F-2 is an example of an outfit that wasn't really that great when I was there, but I know some strong leaders that came through it that helped it steer it towards the right track. Good to hear they've maintained that good direction.
Roger Goodell
bigplay said:

Email me at shawes@corps.tamu.edu and I explain the process of picking outfits. I run the Corps recruiting process so I can give you the real facts. COL (Ret) Sam Hawes '81

You interviewed me in 2007 when I was 17 years old and helped me get a 4-Year Army Scholarship and into the University! I could barely pass a PT Test.

I'm now 30, married, 2 kids, and a CPT in the Infantry!
Fly Army 97
Care to share with the rest of us what the real facts are? I follow my old unit, and their daily activities seem to match their description noted on the website. Seems interesting units have a theme (is that the term?) to promote.
GottaRide
S
My son is current F-2. No stars so I can't pm, but if you want to talk to him leave some contact info and I will get him in touch. He is very proud of his unit.
relapse
AG
Quote:

Would you say it's the best?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.