Bataan Memorial Death March

2,160 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Hey Nav
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I typically don't post here so I apologize in advance if by any means this isn't cotj. If there is an issue, staff please delete.

Some veteran buddies of mine asked if I wanted to join this ruck marathon they are doing. It's the Bataan Memorial Death March to honor the survivors and those that didn't make it.

Here's more information:

https://bataanmarch.com.

What my friend didn't know is that I feel I pretty much have to do this.

My grandfather was the Surgeon General in Bataan before and during the invasion.

The only reason why he made it out is that Arthur MacArthur was sick and MacArthur ordered my grandfather to join them when MacArthur evacuated. My grandfather then served as an aide de camp to MacArthur for the next 2 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_MacArthur%27s_escape_from_the_Philippines

So, my grandfather could've easily have been on that march and I'm sure friends of his were.

So yeah, I'm doing a marathon over a mountain with a 35# ruck to honor my mom, my grandfather, and all the men that served with my grandfather.

Tango_Mike
It's a great experience. If you're halfway confident in your ability, you should absolutely do the ruck march division (over the march with no ruck). It's a long jog, but the atmosphere is great and the event is really motivating
Rudyjax
AG
Tango_Mike said:

It's a great experience. If you're halfway confident in your ability, you should absolutely do the ruck march division (over the march with no ruck). It's a long jog, but the atmosphere is great and the event is really motivating

I would've preferred doing light and run/walking it, but all my buddies are doing the heavy.
Roger Goodell
Good luck brother.
n_touch
Provided medical coverage for it multiple years. Never did the march but knew a lot of people that did. Be safe.
sek92
AG
Good luck! My husband is taking 2 teams for Tarleton Corps of Cadets.
Rudyjax
AG
Just arrived in our cabin halfway between Almagordi and Cloudcroft.
Rudyjax
AG
We did it. It sucked. I would much rather have ran the ****er without the pack. There were crazy mother ****ers running with the ruck.

Never again will I walk that far.
MandoArms
Well done. I did it last year, took this year off and already planning next year's march. It is an intense day but man it feels good to say you did it doesn't it?
IG: mando_arms
Rudyjax
AG
BrownCoat said:

Well done. I did it last year, took this year off and already planning next year's march. It is an intense day but man it feels good to say you did it doesn't it?

Yeah. I guess so.

I'm probably going light next year and going to wog it. (Walk/Jog)
Hey Nav
AG
Great tribute to your Grandfather. Outstanding.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.