Blended retirement system

1,677 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Presley OBannons Sword
Joe Exotic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Opt in due date is Dec 31st for those of us still serving. Did you opt in or stay traditional?
champagnepapi
Bo Darville said:

Opt in due date is Dec 31st for those of us still serving. Did you opt in or stay traditional?

Opted in for sure! You lifers can stay out.
neutics
AG
Heck no not at 14+ years!
Trident15
AG
Staying traditional here with 3 years time in service.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I just opted in

With like 4 months in
bigtruckguy3500
If you plan on staying in for 20, stay with the old system. If you're unsure and less than 10-12 years, consider BRS. If unsure and over 12, stick with the legacy. If you think it's unlikely, or you know you won't make it to 20, regardless of where you're at, switch to BRS.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I agree with this.

In my case it was a combo of my wife's career having more earning potential/upward mobility if we can move easier and increased pay in the private sector for me in 12 years.

We'll see what ends up happening but if you're disciplined in saving in the BRS it's still not a bad program just not as easy as the legacy high three.
clarythedrill
bigtruckguy3500 said:

If you plan on staying in for 20, stay with the old system. If you're unsure and less than 10-12 years, consider BRS. If unsure and over 12, stick with the legacy. If you think it's unlikely, or you know you won't make it to 20, regardless of where you're at, switch to BRS.
Absolutely correct on all points. The BRS is really only a money saving scheme for the government.
champagnepapi
clarythedrill said:

bigtruckguy3500 said:

Absolutely correct on all points. The BRS is really only a money saving scheme for the government.

It took 9 months in Korea for me to realize I should opt in. Two of my buddies finished out their PL/XO time at Casey, redeployed. Went to Captains Career Course and sent them right back to Korea.
AggieEP
The worst part about the scheme is that the training videos and modules they had us do didn't just state what big truck just said. For those of us doing 20, there is no other logical choice other than to stay with the legacy system, but they actually tried to justify why we could switch by counting our own contributions to the tsp as part of our retirement benefit as if we can't already contribute and have the top 3 legacy.

For those who know they won't do 20, then brs is obviously the best choice.
TheCougarHunter
AG
JOPA for life...BRS for me
Presley OBannons Sword
Legacy all the way. I'm riding this pain train until they make me leave.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.