Army approves "pinks and greens" uniform

4,099 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by UTExan
Wildman15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/11/11/for-veterans-day-the-army-has-a-present-a-long-awaited-new-service-uniform/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Socialflow+ARM

The current Army Blues Uniform will return to being a formal dress uniform, while the Army Greens will become the everyday business-wear uniform for all Soldiers. The Army Combat Uniform -- also known as the Operational Camouflage Pattern (OCP) -- will remain the Army's duty/field uniform.

The uniform will be cost-neutral for enlisted Soldiers, who will be able to purchase them with their annual clothing allowance. Female Soldiers will have the option to wear versions with a skirt or pants, and will also have additional shoe options.

The Army Greens will be fielded to Soldiers reporting to their first units as early as the summer of 2020. The mandatory wear date for all Soldiers will be 2028.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
So much money wasted on uniform changes. Army is the biggest offender.
CT'97
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

That's a bad argument. What they had wasn't functional and something needed to be done.

This will be a far better daily office uniform. With this as an option I hope they push the ACU's back to just field/duty use.
zoneag
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

I find it hard to believe that any service is more wasteful and ridiculous with uniform changes than the Navy.
champagnepapi
I just need some senior pants from the Corps and I can rock my boots in garrison
2004FIGHTINTXAG
zoneag said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

I find it hard to believe that any service is more wasteful and ridiculous with uniform changes than the Navy.

Navy has made some dumb changes too. Marines are the only ones who haven't changed anything in the last 15 years.

It's monetarrily wasteful. We could that money more wisely.
armymom
Nevermind
clarythedrill
CT'97 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

That's a bad argument. What they had wasn't functional and something needed to be done.

This will be a far better daily office uniform. With this as an option I hope they push the ACU's back to just field/duty use.
This is probably the dumbest part of changing to this uniform. There is no way on earth you are going to keep that uniform looking strac when stationed anywhere in the south. Within 10 minutes it will be covered in sweat stains and the creases will disappear. No one will want to pay the cleaning bill to stay looking good wearing a semi-dress uniform on a daily basis. Junior enlisted certainly cannot pay for constant cleanings.

You will have to bring two uniforms to work everyday, as things always come up that will require you to go to the motor pool, and you darn sure aren't going to wear those things in the motor pool. What about hip pocket training? You can forget about pulling weapons out of the arms room for a cleaning for fear of getting CLP on your uniform, and tactics training for combat arms MOSs will come to a screeching halt when you have a spare hour so of free time. Thank goodness I will be retired before this BS becomes a required uniform.

All around this idea is bad, and whose who approved it should feel bad. How is it we can come up with this BS but not finally kill off that abortion of a hat.......the black beret!!!
JABQ04
AG
At least you get it. Ive been done for almost a year so this uniform change won't bother me one bit. I did get caught in the greens to ASU fiasco. I might add the other end of the spectrum where Soldiers spend $500 dollars on a brand new uniform, shoes, tailoring, and then will only wear once a year. Big waste of time and money that could better be used to enhance the lethality of the force
clarythedrill
JABQ04 said:

At least you get it. Ive been done for almost a year so this uniform change won't bother me one bit. I did get caught in the greens to ASU fiasco. I might add the other end of the spectrum where Soldiers spend $500 dollars on a brand new uniform, shoes, tailoring, and then will only wear once a year. Big waste of time and money that could better be used to enhance the lethality of the force
As for your last sentence, I am sure we have enough choagies laying around to work through these uniform changes, and the money issue is not an issue, as industry did most of the upfront bill paying and it is the Soldiers who ultimately pay for the uniform.

I have owned no less than 14 separate types of uniforms in my 28 years, and when I came in I was issued three types when I was at basic training. That is crazy and totally uncalled for.
CT'97
AG
clarythedrill said:

CT'97 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

This is probably the dumbest part of changing to this uniform. There is no way on earth you are going to keep that uniform looking strac when stationed anywhere in the south. Within 10 minutes it will be covered in sweat stains and the creases will disappear. No one will want to pay the cleaning bill to stay looking good wearing a semi-dress uniform on a daily basis. Junior enlisted certainly cannot pay for constant cleanings.

You will have to bring two uniforms to work everyday, as things always come up that will require you to go to the motor pool, and you darn sure aren't going to wear those things in the motor pool. What about hip pocket training? You can forget about pulling weapons out of the arms room for a cleaning for fear of getting CLP on your uniform, and tactics training for combat arms MOSs will come to a screeching halt when you have a spare hour so of free time. Thank goodness I will be retired before this BS becomes a required uniform.

All around this idea is bad, and whose who approved it should feel bad. How is it we can come up with this BS but not finally kill off that abortion of a hat.......the black beret!!!
The Marines seem to make it work. If that bunch of crayon eating window lickers can figure it out I imagine the Army can as well.

And I disagree that the trousers and khaki shirt will be any more or less sweat stained than a regular ACU uniform. Always a solders right to ***** though, so keep it up.
clarythedrill
CT'97 said:

clarythedrill said:

CT'97 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

The Marines seem to make it work. If that bunch of crayon eating window lickers can figure it out I imagine the Army can as well.

And I disagree that the trousers and khaki shirt will be any more or less sweat stained than a regular ACU uniform. Always a solders right to ***** though, so keep it up.
What the hell are you talking about? The marines do not wear their version of our Class Bs as an everyday uniform, they wear their camo uniform. I am around those morons everyday and they loath to put their charlies or whatever they call them on.

The light tan blouses will definitely show sweat marks more than the much darker OCP, and the OCPs can be washed at home as much as you like, where the Class A/B cannot. Junior Enlisted can not afford to launder these new uniforms professionally if expected to wear them on a daily basis. Its funny that the Army went to velcro patches pin on badges and such as a cost saving measure for the junior Soldiers, yet now will expect them to pay for cleaning on a weekly basis for this uniform. It makes no sense.
champagnepapi
clarythedrill said:

CT'97 said:

clarythedrill said:

CT'97 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

What the hell are you talking about? The marines do not wear their version of our Class Bs as an everyday uniform, they wear their camo uniform. I am around those morons everyday and they loath to put their charlies or whatever they call them on.

The light tan blouses will definitely show sweat marks more than the much darker OCP, and the OCPs can be washed at home as much as you like, where the Class A/B cannot. Junior Enlisted can not afford to launder these new uniforms professionally if expected to wear them on a daily basis. Its funny that the Army went to velcro patches pin on badges and such as a cost saving measure for the junior Soldiers, yet now will expect them to pay for cleaning on a weekly basis for this uniform. It makes no sense.

Promote to BDE CSM ahead of peers.
CT'97
AG
To be honest I think you made my point for me. The Marines have figured out when and where to go from their utility uniform to their charlie uniform. And Marines will ***** about a warm cot and an hot meal so I'm not too worried about them being upset about putting on a different uniform. The regular line unit junior enlisted and NCO's will continue to wear their utilities on a day to day basis. But as a work uniform for those at Division HQ or recruiters or any number of other units that don't have a motor pool this uniform makes a lot more sense and will be a lot easier to maintain than a white shirt on the current B's.

The current B's looks like crap and doesn't convert into a usable work uniform. This is a much better option that looks better and makes more sense on a day to day basis than what we currently have, which isn't being used because it's not functional.
GAC06
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

zoneag said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Navy has made some dumb changes too. Marines are the only ones who haven't changed anything in the last 15 years.

They've changed some stuff. The stupid track suit PT uniform is one. I believe they've toyed with changing females dress uniforms into basically the same as the male uniform but I'm not sure that was implemented

Edit: it's pretty clear the Marines have done uniforms better than everyone else though. Or at least it's clear to everyone but clary
clarythedrill
GAC06 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

zoneag said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

They've changed some stuff. The stupid track suit PT uniform is one. I believe they've toyed with changing females dress uniforms into basically the same as the male uniform but I'm not sure that was implemented

Edit: it's pretty clear the Marines have done uniforms better than everyone else though. Or at least it's clear to everyone but clary
I have no idea what yall are talking about. The marines do not wear their Class A/B/C anymore than the Army does. They only put it on when the situation dictates it be worn, not as an EVERYDAY uniform, which is what the Army wants this new one to become. Again, I am on a base with marines and navy dudes darn near every day, and they wear their camo uniforms almost exclusively. Are you saying the marines daily uniform is the Class A/B/C and they only put on the camo uniform when going to the field, ranges, or motorpool? Granted, I have not been on every marine base, but have been to 29 Palms on occasion and 99% of those I saw were in the camo uniform, no different than the Army. If that is the guidance that marine leadership has put forth, then there are many marine units saying screw that guidance.

I am not saying that I dislike the new uniform and its place, but it should not ever become the everyday uniform for the Army. It should only be worn on certain occasions, such as payday activities and the like, not as the primary uniform.
GAC06
AG
Take a deep breath, read what I wrote, then read what you wrote. Good Lord, did you get beat up by a Marine when you were a kid?
Pro Sandy
AG
GAC06 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

zoneag said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

The Navy spent tons on the NWU Type I for wear at sea, only to discover after it was implemented that it melted when you were fighting a fire. So the uniform made for sea couldn't be worn at sea. They are now discontinuing it ashore and having everyone get NWU Type III so that Sailors look like Soldiers. And they finally are getting flame ******ant coveralls out to the fleet. And to top it all off, they are field testing new working uniforms to replace all the above.
GAC06
AG
The NWU idea was a total abortion. The Navy should have just copied the Coast Guard's working uniform.
Presley OBannons Sword
Lots of Marine hate in here
Presley OBannons Sword
JABQ04 said:

If you want to enhance the lethality of the force, try PTing once in awhile. Doesn't cost anything!
UTExan
Army should just go back to khakis for summer class B uniform. That along with green saucer cap or garrison cap worked just fine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.