Question for former CT's

2,242 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
TXAggieMom11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
During your time in the Corps were cadets made to attend volleyball, soccer and women's basketball games or face getting an RW?
HollywoodBQ
AG
TXAggieMom11 said:

During your time in the Corps were cadets made to attend volleyball, soccer and women's basketball games or face getting an RW?
Volleyball - NO. I wish. I totally dig tall chicks.
Soccer - was still a club sport so NO.
Women's Basketball - YES. But, only sometimes. Back in my era, there was no Hullabaloo Band so they used 1/2 of the Aggie Band for home Basketball games and SWC Tournaments. I don't think we played at all of the Men's home games but definitely most of them. We also played at some women's games but I don't remember the circumstances. I also remember that this was back when the Dance Team was just getting started.

My experience was as a member of the Aggie Band. I don't remember what scenarios the Corps attended games but they did attend some games but I don't believe there was any mass attendance effort or required attendance. Keep in mind, during my era, there was no Corps Block seating at Kyle Field either so when Corps guys were there, they would have been mixed in with the civilian population. I do remember the uniform was Bs or better.

I also remember that Black Belts could only attend if they had good grades. So... many of my buddies never participated in Basketball Band.

Baseball in the spring was a big draw but we were never required to attend.

I do remember for the band that if you couldn't attend a game, you had to find a substitute. I don't know what the penalty was for not attending but whoever couldn't attend or didn't want to always found a substitute.
ABATTBQ87
AG
TXAggieMom11 said:

We played at every men's home basketball game during the spring semester and we alternated between artillery band and infantry band
We took volunteers to the Southwest Conference basketball tournament in March
in the spring of 1984 the drum and bugle Corps played at one baseball game
bigtruckguy3500
On occasion. It was usually attended in Cs and Ts, we did Soccer a bunch. I think one or two women's basketball games during my time there. Some of them were fish only, some just black belts, and rarely entire corps.

You could get out of it if you had a good reason. Never did volleyball.
Wildman15
AG
The full Corps usually has to attend 1-2 men's and women's basketball games plus maybe a random soccer game. The story I was told is because the Corps gets so much blocked seating during football games, we have to show up to a few "key basketball/soccer games" as a way to say thanks to the 12th Man Foundation for the football tickets. Yes, sometimes I felt like I had a lot of better things to do besides go to those games, but it really wasn't that bad. If a cadet is really complaining about having to go to a basketball game or soccer game, maybe it's time that cadet did some serious re-evaluating of their life.
74OA
AG
TXAggieMom11 said:

No. We were required to attend football games, pushed hard by outfit leadership to support men's basketball, but the rest was all left to us. Certainly there was no official Corps policy requiring attendance that could possibly have led to formal punishment of any sort.
CT'97
AG
Yes in the mid 90's we did, usually ended up being fish and heads with outfit leadership as the rest of the white belts came up with excuses to study or something else to not be there.
aggiejim70
AG
I have no idea what an "RW" is. During my time in the Corps there was no soccer, volleyball or women's basketball.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Wildman15
AG
aggiejim70 said:

I have no idea what an "RW" is. During my time in the Corps there was no soccer, volleyball or women's basketball.
"RW" means "Restricted Weekend". Cadets who receive an RW have to check in with cadet leadership every 2 hours from 0600-2200 Saturday and Sunday in full uniform. Some more severe punishments include marching tours, which the cadet parades around for c amount of time while carrying a drill rifle.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Wildman15 said:

aggiejim70 said:

"RW" means "Restricted Weekend". Cadets who receive an RW have to check in with cadet leadership every 2 hours from 0600-2200 Saturday and Sunday in full uniform. Some more severe punishments include marching tours, which the cadet parades around for c amount of time while carrying a drill rifle.

We know that as Marching Bull Ring, which has been around for over 60+ years
Wildman15
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Wildman15 said:

aggiejim70 said:

We know that as Marching Bull Ring, which has been around for over 60+ years
That's the term I was trying to remember! Thanks
Trident15
AG
TXAggieMom11 said:

Volleyball- No. Soccer and WBB- Yes.
bigtruckguy3500
They've started making cadets carry a drill rifle? How does that work? Virtually none of them know how to drill with a rifle.
CharlieBrown17
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

They've started making cadets carry a drill rifle? How does that work? Virtually none of them know how to drill with a rifle.

You put it on your shoulder and walk in a circle

Least that's what it always looked people were doing
aggiejim70
AG
Thank you for the info. The more things change, the more they stay the same. That's what I did the weekend of Super Bowl IV. I had my classmate and White Band CO staked out in the quad and motor oil on and into various parts of his body. Instead of retaliating in the time honored tradition, he rammed me and I got restriction. 50 years down the road and my only regret is I wish I had poured the fresh oil into my car, and used on him.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Noble07
AG
Yes, we were required to do the same in our day.

Technically, we were required to do the march-in. I don't think they could require you to go into the stadium and watch the game. As you would expect, a ton of cadets did the march-in to Reed Arena and then turned around and walked back to the Quad.
93Spur
No. No required attendance at any sports event (even football). 1989-1993.
Rabid Cougar
AG
'82-'86 Is there any other sport besides football?
ABATTBQ87
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

'82-'86 Is there any other sport besides football?

Spring football
DevilD77
AG
We didn't have to attend those, but it was a great way for a blackbelt to get out of sitting CQ on a weeknight.
aggieband 83
AG
I was in the band from Fall '79- Spring '83. We had to go to football games. Alternated home basketball games. Artillery Band played then Infantry Band went the next one. The only other sport was 1 baseball game my fish year. Entire FTAB had to go and play because it was the night that the light poles were dedicated. The family who gave the money were being honored for their gift to the baseball field. They wanted the Aggie Band there.

One of our seniors did not feel very happy about being forced to go to Olsen Field, so after the game was over he made the entire fish class go to the 4th stoop of Dorm 11 to dedicate the new urinal that had been installed. The entire fish Class of '83 showed up with instruments and played the Aggie War Hymn while he christened the new urinal!

Good Times!!!
BQ_90
AG
86-90. We went to,every football game. They split the FTAB in half for MBB, my JR, Sr year went to every MBB game.

I think my JR year the Aggieland orchestra with few more added started playing WBB games.

No VB, soccer didn't exist in my day.

I don't remember anyone being fo4ced to attend outside of FTAB members
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
We didn't have to be forced to go to any game !

At one time the men's BB at DeWare was restricted by alphabet due to size of crowds . We didn't pay much attention to this !
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.