Son's Marine boot camp graduation coming up...travel ideas?

2,773 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by A. Solzhenitsyn
Roc96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He'll graduate from MCRD in mid-March, which is really convenient for our family. We (all 5) want to travel to San Diego to honor him and his fellow recruits. We're looking online at standard airfare, and it looks like it'll be between $1500 & $2,300 for us to fly round-trip. Has anyone got any tips on how to reduce that amount? I'm already looking at the cut-rate airlines like Southwest and Frontier. It looks like there's a hotel on base where we can stay, and we'll try to take his younger siblings to Universal Studios while we're there, too, since it's Spring Break.

Any help would be appreciated. We don't travel much, and we're very new to all of this boot camp business.
Roc
JABQ04
AG
Any thoughts on driving? Granted depending on vehicle size and age of other kids might be hard to do, but what you spend on gas and hotel rooms traveling will be cheaper than flying. Plus if it's around Spring Break, break the trip into legs and hit up Carlsbad Caverns, the Grand Canyon Or other touristy stuff along the way. Could be a fun road trip if planned out right and more economical than flying if you're trying to save money
REJ_III
Is he graduating from SOI on Camp Pendleton? Or recruit training at MCRD San Diego?

Camp Pendleton is about a 50 min drive north of MCRD San Diego.

Both phenomenal areas, with a lot to do close by. I recommend the drive option if you have the vehicle. I was stationed there for four years and did round-trip flights to Texas fairly often. The cheapest airline will be Southwest and $300-350 is going to be about the standard you'll have to pay to fly.

bufrilla
AG
Made the trip to California last September(from ETex) for UCLA game and our Grandson's graduation from Boot Camp (4th generation Marine). We were gone longer than the time you will have , but you can make it a fun trip. Your son's graduation will be a hi-light for the family and especially for him having you there.
There will be several thousand people at graduation, enjoy.
Total trip is about 3500 miles (1500 each way and add 500 for run around there)
We stayed at a Marriott in Old Town right next to MCRD (about $125 a day). The facilities on MCRD are not A/C. Also, 3 nights in the BOQ at MCRD (limited to 3 nights for retired Officers) so Old Town for 3 nights
We spent 2 days at Disney, stayed at a Marriott Towne Place for actually about $100. It was not far from Angels' baseball stadium. And we had 2 nights in Spring Hill Suites in Pasadena for game.

There's a lot to see going and coming, as some one has already mentioned, but also a LOT of nothing, but you can make it a great trip for the kids. Will add some miles and hours to the trip, but will break it up and make it more enjoyable.

We try to keep our days travel to no more than 450 miles, so that 3 days/2 nights to San Diego and same back.
For us it was 5/4 as minor league baseball was rapping up and we made games in Midland, El Paso and Albuquerque.

Being Marriott Rewards members , we actually recovered, through points and promotions, half of the nights we stayed in motels. So if not a member, JOIN. Out and back, we stayed in Midland, El Paso, Las Cruces, Albuquerque, & Yuma.

One question, is your son taking leave from Boot Camp? Is he returning home with you? Our Grandson rode home with parents and with you already have a car load, would make it tight. Especially with all his junk!!!

Plan it out and it can be a great trip and will make that son smile even more on graduation and earning the title, MARINE!
Roc96
AG
Thank you all for your replies. Perhaps we'll drive.
Roc
Agvet12
AG
Roc96 said:

Thank you all for your replies. Perhaps we'll drive.

Driving is fine too but he only gets 10 days leave ....

I know the tickets are expensive but it really comes down to how and where you want to spend time with the fresh devil pup

Personally flying in and our San Diego is a pretty cool experience if the kid is graduating, you'll get to see a glimpse of base and see some form of pt since MCRD is right next to the airport

Timeline is graduation 10 days leave, then to Pendleton for SOI, then either to his unit of MOS school (if he's not infantry) - and after the 10 days you won't see the kid again until you fly out and visit him at his duty station or he takes leave
tamc93
AG
Where are you flying from?

Suggest signing up for a SW Visa an basically 1-2 fares are covered.

Also consider the cost of a car rental - many discounts available and I can give you my codes via PM.

Finally, but first - thank him for his service and you for allowing him to serve.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
agracer
AG
There Is a travel agency that you can work through to save significant $$ in car rental and hotels for boot Camp graduation. I'll find it and post the info. We just did this in August. Saved several hundred $$.

And is it boot camp because that's MCRD San Diego not Pendleton.

Zoo is expensive and not worth the cost of entry IMO.

If you fly use SW. It's possible your son could be dropped back a class due to injury or drop out. SW does not charge change fees if you have to change plans or cancel your trip. You'll get, at minimum, a full credit on SW if you have to cancel and can use the credit to buy tickets later and not pay a change fee. Other airlines charge $200 PER TICKET to make any changes. SW also does not charge any checked bag fees for your son when he flys home and he'll have a lot of crap that will need to be checked.
mrad85
AG
Just made the round trip drive to 29 Palms for Thanksgiving (about the same mileage as San Diego). 21 hrs each way with no overnight stay along the way. Brutal drive, but after the fact, wasn't the worst I've done. If you have more than one additional driver, it is very doable without all the pain.

Gas prices escalated very rapidly once I passed through Austin area. $2.09 at Buckees in Bastrop up to $3.29 in California.

Your son can get major discounts on tickets to most of the major tourist attractions all over Southern Cal at the MCX on base, if that is what ya'll want to do. The things to do within a 3 hr radius of San Diego is incredible.

If you want info on cheap fishing trips out of San Diego, let me know.

Whatever you do, or however your manage to get there, your son will love having you and your family there at this time.

Congrats to him and you for this!
Roc96
AG
I got the call from him that he arrived at MCRD safely. Plane tickets are purchased. Now we wait.
Semper Fi.
Roc
Roc96
AG
We received the first correspondence from him two days ago, and he said it's going well, and he's having a blast. I didn't quite expect that. He says he's got many new brothers, which is reassuring. Hoo Rah.
Roc
Wabs
AG
Semper Fi
TowGun93
AG
Tell him to make sure he eats as much as possible at the MCRD Jack in the Box on visitor Sunday. :-)

Semper Fi.
A. Solzhenitsyn
Hollywood Marines

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.