March in/March around for the Kentucky game

1,519 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jock 07
Aggieternally
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can someone please provide a link to where a route map and schedule for Step Off is posted?

Thanks in advance...
74OA
AG
Kentucky
Aggieternally
Thank you.
F4GIB71
Looking at the map on the link, what's the "Spirit Band?"
CanyonAg77
AG
Looks like they are pulling off a few BQs to stand and play for the CTs who are too far away to hear the main Band
Wildman15
AG
F4GIB71 said:

Spirit Band is a smaller group of the band (usually split up by outfits or simply Artillary/Infantry band) that marches the football team from their busses and into the locker room. They play a few songs for the crowd tailgating in Spence Park, march the team into the stadium, and then join the rest of the band for step off.

- BQ '15
F4GIB71
Thanks
93Spur
Aggieternally said:

Can someone please provide a link to where a route map and schedule for Step Off is posted?

Thanks in advance...
ABATTBQ87
AG
Wildman15 said:

F4GIB71 said:

Spirit Band is a smaller group of the band (usually split up by outfits or simply Artillary/Infantry band) that marches the football team from their busses and into the locker room. They play a few songs for the crowd tailgating in Spence Park, march the team into the stadium, and then join the rest of the band for step off.

- BQ '15

So we are told to not use the term pep band but they use the term spirit band
bigtruckguy3500
I feel like this was posted somewhere else, but is the point of this to allow the tailgaters on west campus to see the Corps?
JABQ04
AG
Probably thinking of the You Know you Were in the Corps Facebook page for the olds, who just *****ed and moaned about it.
CanyonAg77
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

I feel like this was posted somewhere else, but is the point of this to allow the tailgaters on west campus to see the Corps?

SEC rules. You can't re-enter the stadium once you leave. No one wants to go to the stadium for march in, then sit there twiddling their thumbs for two hours waiting for kickoff
TXAggieMom11
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Yes and to promote the Corps. I have heard good and bad. Last year was the first year and most west campus tailgaters didn't understand why the Corps was interrupting their parties.
Cadets don't enjoy it much either.
Warrior 66
The West Campus March-in was a recommendation of the Game Day Task Force last year. As a result, we tried it last year, and received a LOT of positive feedback from a LOT of people afterward. The university, the AD, and the Office of the Commandant received a LOT of positive feedback from the West Campus March-in last year - mostly from West Campus tailgaters who usually never get a chance to see the Corps march-in, and appreciated the opportunity when we did it last year.

Judging from the literally thousands of people who flocked to the streets around the Rec Center and Reed Arena to watch the Corps march-by yesterday, and all the people who once again thanked us for doing it again this year, I'd say it was a big success again this year.

Yes, there will ALWAYS be those who don't like the fact that its NOT the march-in to Kyle Field, but the majority of feedback we have gotten from people concerning our march-ins on the campus has been very positive. And CanyonAg is right: due to SEC rules, most people don't want to enter the stadium an hour and a half prior to kickoff and then have to just sit there until kickoff. The majority of people who come to the game are still at their tailgates that early prior to kickoff, and enjoy lining the streets and watching the Corps march-by rather than go inside the stadium to watch the Corps march-in. We definitely get a LOT more visibility for the Corps OUTSIDE the stadium than we ever do inside the stadium.

And I seriously doubt that TXAggieMom11 or anyone else can speak for all cadets or all tailgaters. Like all march-ins, some like it, some don't. Some things will never change.

A great day in Aggieland and a great game yesterday. I was proud of our Corps, and proud of our team. A great day to be an Aggie all the way around! Beat the Hell Outta South Carolina!
CanyonAg77
AG
My preference would be that the Corps March In to the stadium, with the Band at mid-field, like in my day. As soon as the CTs finish the pass, they go to their seats, and the last unit exits the track a few minutes before kickoff. That allows the maximum number of fans to see the Corps.

Unfortunately, there are those in the athletic department under the mistaken impression that Saturdays are about football, not March-In and the Aggie Band taking the field at halftime.

Narrow minded so-and-sos.

Even back in my day, I didn't like how few people were in the stands for March-In. Back then, like now, people would line the streets to see units march by. If you're a mom of a cadet, would you rather have several chances to see your cadet from 15 feet away, or one chance to see him from the third deck? Would you rather the Corps be seen by thousands, or by hundreds? If you're not a BQ, one of the few chances you get to hear and feel the intensity of the Band, is to be on the street as they march by. I think it's important to share that.

I'm as pissed as anyone that the tradition of March-In has to be changed. As an old BQ, I hate that SEC rules moved the Band off the 50 yard line.

I think "March Around" is an excellent compromise.
Jock 07
AG
Do the bulls get upset if someone sneaks the zips some beers as they pass the tailgates? Asking for a friend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.