Fort Drum?

2,851 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BBATTBQ
2ndAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love it or hate it?

I am looking for my next job opportunity and I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Fort Drum. I have heard vastly different thoughts and just looking for additional opinions.

Thanks
PanzerAggie06
AG
I was never assigned there so this is second hand information. From my time in the Army I knew several people who were assigned there. My recollection is that the all loved 10th Mountain as a unit but totally despised Fort Drum. The geographic isolation and the horrific winters were the main reasons for this. All the people I knew who were stationed there said the drinking during the winter months can get pretty intense. A lot of darkness and a lot of cold will do that I suppose.
45-70Ag
AG
Was stationed there for two years.
It's different than any other place i was at, winter is long but i was use to that being from Chicago.

Syracuse was fairly close so went there often to watch college sports and to get away when we could. New York City is a pretty good drive, if i remember correctly about five to six hours
45-70Ag
AG
And lake George is only a few hours away. Beautiful place in the summer and winter and the history of it is amazing with French and Indian war trails and the history of Roberts rangers.

2ndAggie
AG
Thanks for the input! Decisions decisions decisions...
AggieFlyboy
AG
Just finished two years there. 10th MTN is awesome, the base is decent, and the winters are brutal. The summers, st Lawrence river, and the Adirondacks are some of the most beautiful you will find...you only have 4-5 months to enjoy them. Plenty of places to ski and you are 5 hrs from NYC, Boston, Quebec, and Philly.

I enjoyed my time there but am glad I'm back in Texas now
JR69
AG
This is what I thought of when I saw the thread title

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Drum_(Philippines)
aznaggiegirl07
AG
How long are the winters?

I may be moving there soon...
APHIS AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

I have heard that along with your assigned quarters, a snow blower is also issued.
45-70Ag
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

Long enough to get an artic zone classification from the army.
BBATTBQ
I served at Fort Drum in the 90's, when it had just transitioned from a National Guard Camp to a Fort, so much of this will be dated.

1. First the negatives:
- The Watertown area historically has been an economically depressed area, population tends to be ...... unattractive, with the highest obesity rate I have ever seen, before or since.
- Syracuse is not a very military friendly town, not much there to recommend it.

2. Now the good.
- 10th Mountain is a very good division, and has a solid reputation. Because it is so far north and still under the umbrella of the 18th ABC, it in my time allowed for us to avoid a lot of the distractions of being at a major installation and focus on smaller (battalion and below) soldier activities. Since there are fewer echelons to deal with, I found senior captains and majors had much more latitude in getting the job done.
- The weather is a bit harsh, but.... if you like winter activities, cross country skiing was one of my passions, it can provide for some great recreational days. Make no mistake though, in a full three year tour you and your family will find out a lot about 70 degree temperature variations. I found the environment stimulating, many did not.

3. Playing Army.

- Fort Drum has a strangely shaped maneuver area, with much of it difficult to get to, so it will feel like the training area is actually quite small, or feels like it takes forever to drive to all of it. The up side for me, and a downside, was we got deployed a lot; Somalia, Haiti, Puerto Rico..... (notice a lot of places that are HOT)

4. The climate

- We used to joke that there were 4 seasons, June, July, August and Winter. Not exactly correct, but it could feel like it. The days in the early Summer through September were very long and I used to ride my bicycle 40 to 60 miles on my day off, did a lot of climbing in Western New York state, did a lot of sporting clays, and hiking in Vermont. In parts of the winter there were what you would expect in days that could freeze over an entire Great Lake. Wind could be brutal and the worst ice storm I have ever encountered happened my last year there. Halfway through the winter you are going to wonder if the sun exists in a tough year.

5. Bottom line, if your family can take it, you will learn a lot there (my best assignment for professional growth).

Good luck,

Class of '77
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.