Did the Corps have an international exchange program? Confucius institute closed

1,691 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CanyonAg77
Fly Army 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I'm curious if that affected the trips I used to see or cadets in the video below.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2018/04/09/texas-am-cuts-ties-confucius-institutes-response-congressmens-concerns

Warrior 66
The cadet in that video happens to be an international student who chose to join the Corps. We have many like that in the Corps today, from many different countries.

We currently have an exchange program with 2 countries: Australia and Germany. Each year we exchange cadets with the Australian Defense Force Academy (ADFA) in Canberra, Australia, and Helmut Schmidt University in Hamburg, Germany. If you've seen any of the march-ins this year, you will see that we have 3 German officers and 4 Australian cadets currently in our Corps, spread out among several outfits in the Corps. We had 3 of our cadets at ADFA last spring, and currently have 1 cadet at Helmut Schmidt University.

We are also looking at other opportunities for cadet international exchanges in other countries, but those are still in the works and have not been finalized.

We also do a 4 week Leadership Program for 50 South Korean cadets each February. Fifty members of the ROK ROTCs spend 4 weeks with the Corps here at A&M, and go through an intensive leadership program hosted by our Hollingsworth Center for Ethical Leadership. The ROK cadets attend classes with our cadets, attend ROTC training, and participate in many other Corps activities while they are here. Its been on-going for 5 years now, and is a very successful program for all.

Each May we also host 3 International Excursions for cadets to different countries around the world. Each excursion is approx 2 weeks long, and is focused on the 4 elements of national power: Diplomacy, Information, Military, and Economics. 26 cadets go on each excursion, as well as members of the Commandant's staff, the ROTC staffs, and a member of the faculty. Last year the 3 excursions were to: Australia, Brazil, and England/France. This year the 3 excursions are to: Germany/Poland, Ukraine/Georgia, and Israel. Truly high payoff international educational experiences for our cadets.

Probably a lot more than what you wanted to know about international programs that are available to members of the Corps today. but hopefully it answered your question.
Fly Army 97
Thank you for the response. The countries that cadets are visiting are relevant and not just sightseeing. I can tell you that young LTs across the services are the senior ranking (US) officers in many parts of Eastern Europe. I sometimes left a platoon leader on his own for a month to train with the local country's local brigade/regiment/etc. Some of these cadets could soon find themselves in Latvia, Romania, or even Ukraine as part of the European Deterrence Initiative.

Ukraine and the issues there are quite the lesson in small unit tactics, cross border invasion, and history in general. I recently had the pleasure of listening to a Ukrainian officer talk about his experience growing up in the former Soviet Union and deal with it today. Awesome information...if I were a cadet today, I'd study that story and see how it leads up today in terms of military tactics used in this environment (UAS, ADA, etc)

That said, any officer or civilian dodging their international kit bag is doing themselves a disservice. We operate in a much more complex world than the one I grew up in...glad to see these programs going on.
oldord
AG
2 Afrikaners from the SADF in the late 80's
CanyonAg77
AG
We had Iranians in the late 70s. I often wonder if they survived the revolution
HollywoodBQ
AG
On a related note, when I took my cadet to Virginia Military Institute two years ago, I noticed a few Chinese/Taiwanese students. What really surprised me was when we toured the VMI museum and found out that the first cadet from China (Sun Li-jen) went there in the 1920s.

Warning, this is a Chinese hosted website but, here's a description of General Sun's story.
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_e47848bb0102wq8u.html

CanyonAg77
AG
I have a 1926 Longhorn, the predecessor to the Aggieland. One of the civilian student upperclassmen was from Baghdad, Iraq. His nickname? "Ali Baba".

Can you imagine making that trip and attending A&M nearly 100 years ago? Wow.

And I don't know for a fact, but the best I can tell, all fish and soph students were cadets back then. The civilian students are only juniors and seniors. My guess is that you went to civilian status if you were not eligible to be commissioned for reasons of health or, in this case, citizenship.
93Spur
Per the College Regulations, 1926 (12th Edition), p. 23, under Part 2, Rules Concerning Discipline For All Students, Articles 64, 65 and 66 provide the answer on civilian students:
Art. 64. The student body is divided into two groups, the first including the members of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps, the second all other students.
Art. 65. The Reserve Officers' Training Corps is composed of (1) all students who have not completed the prescribed basic course in Military Science and Tactics [Bull tics], and who are not excused specifically from military duty; (2) Students who are enrolled in the Advanced Course of the R.O.T.C. Members of the R.O.T.C. shall be know as Cadets.
Art 66. The following shall be known as civilian students:
(a) Students who have completed the basic course of the R.O.T.C. and who do not take the advanced course.
(b) Students who have had at least six months service in the military or naval forces of the United States and whose written request to be excused from further military duty has been approved.
(c) Men who are twenty-one years of age or over, whose petitions for exemption from military duty have been approved by the Committee on Military Education.
(d) Graduate Students.
CanyonAg77
AG
93Spur said:

Per the College Regulations,
Where do you find that?
93Spur
My AMC files. My grandfather was ultimately Class of 1930. Some of my stuff is his, some is stuff related to his time.
CanyonAg77
AG
93Spur said:

My AMC files. My grandfather was ultimately Class of 1930. Some of my stuff is his, some is stuff related to his time.
Very nice. I have some stuff circa 1946, as well as this Longhorn.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.