Any book recommendations on Roman military history?

1,983 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by APHIS AG
aggieland09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have any books they recommend on Roman military history? I've seen several documentaries and am interested to learn more. Thanks
dubi
AG
I've messaged a retired military friend who I think will have suggestions.

His suggestion:

The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire: From the First Century A.D. to the Third
74OA
AG
dubi said:

I've messaged a retired military friend who I think will have suggestions.

His suggestion:

The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire: From the First Century A.D. to the Third
This.
dubi
AG
The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire
aggiepublius
AG
Roman Military history is quite a diverse and complex subject as it spans over a thousand years from the founding to the fall in 476. Any particular aspect of it you are looking to know more about or just a general overview?

And one can't go wrong reading Commentarii de Bello Gallico by Julius Caesar. Not only does it cover one of the most impressive campaigns written by one of the most daring generals Rome produced, it remained influential for 1800+ years in Western military thought as one of the core classical texts. (And you get bonus points if you read it in the original Latin).

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres

FILO505
AG
Dad sent me this, and he's about as well read as they come, and he taught college history at a pretty reputable institution of higher learning.

"Roman Warfare by Adrian Goldsworthy. But the classic is a good modern interpretation of Caesar's Gallic War. Another one is Core of the Legion by Oorthuys."
aggieland09
AG
Thanks for the recommendations
MarineAggie95
AG
Goldsworthy is very good with his history and he also has several Historical fiction series out there. One of my favorites by him deals with the British Military during the Napoleonic War time frame. He has a new one out dealing with the Roman Legions
JABQ04
AG
What historical fiction? I'm looking for something new to get into.
MarineAggie95
AG
Adrian Goldsworthy
Napoleonic Fiction begins with True Gentleman Soldier
The series follows a British unit and is very good.

Roman Fiction starts with Vindolanda and it just came out last year and book 2 is now out. It is very good.

Simon Scarrow
Wellington Series is very good. It is a 4 book series and follows both Wellington and Napoleon through their early years to the battles

Under the Eagles Series Is a series on the Roman Legions that is very good.

If you want other recommendations just send me a private message and I will be glad to share authors that I am reading. I read a lot of British authors when it comes to ancient history.
JABQ04
AG
Thanks. I'll look into some of those. Don't have stars so no PM for me, email is username@gmail if you want to send some more!
I Like Mike
AG
In the Name of Rome by Adrian Goldsworthy

https://www.amazon.com/Name-Rome-Men-Roman-Empire-ebook/dp/B01B9HJ03K/ref=sr_1_17?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1540926440&sr=1-17&keywords=adrian+goldsworthy
-----------------------

MarineAggie95
AG
Just sent you an email to make sure I have it correct. If you respond to it I will be glad to send you recommendations.
APHIS AG
Another good book is the "Legions of Rome", by Stephen Dando Collins that chronicles every Imperial Roman legion and their achievements.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.