Corps seating

3,807 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CanyonAg77
AncientArmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a question for the Commandant.
Why is the entire (except for the BQs) Corps stuck with lousy seating? In my day, upper classmen could look forward to a better view of the game. As a Zip, we could stand about anywhere we wanted in the east stands. Today, non-reg fish get better seats than Corps seniors.
The paid seating above the band could be set aside for the Coprs.
As the Commandant, you should remind the 12th Man Association that the Corps is the true Keeper of the Spirit!
Scruffy
Aggie1
AG
Noted.
AggieBaseball06
DevilD77
AG
As a former CT, I would prefer that they do away with the Corps block and go back to sitting amongst the rest of the student body. I'm sure the fish would rather not be sitting with their upperclassmen.
Warrior 66
The answer is pretty easy: SEC rules.

You may remember that the Aggie Band used to sit directly behind the visiting team's bench, between the 30 and 50 yards lines, and the Corps sat to the north of the Band, all on the east side. When we joined the SEC, the SEC rules changed all of that, and many other things.

Per SEC rules, no students are allowed to sit directly behind the visiting team's bench. We had to move the Band and the Corps further to the north side of the stadium as a result. They are still on the 1st deck, but moved further to the north than they had been when we were in the Big XII.

We will review Corps seating again next spring, as we do every year, and will discuss options for Corps seating that may be more optimal for our cadets. No need to remind the 12th Man Association of anything about the Corps - they have already heard plenty from us, and they get it.

Thanks for your support of our Corps. Beat the Hell Outta ULM!
Jock 07
AG
Yea it blows my mind that the sec has no issues with MSU and their damn cowbells but we have to move our band. Wish the university would have pushed back harder on the league for the band seating. Looking back on it I too wish we didn't have corps block when I was in school, would have loved to have had the chance to stand on the first row second deck on the 50.
CanyonAg77
AG
DevilD77 said:

As a former CT, I would prefer that they do away with the Corps block and go back to sitting amongst the rest of the student body. I'm sure the fish would rather not be sitting with their upperclassmen.
Got to second this. Fish should sit with non-reg fish, Zips with non-reg seniors, etc. The hope is they'd be a good influence. And get better seats.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Copy/paste from an AO discussion a couple months back:

I've got a bit of a unique, if dated, perspective. Corps block started my sophomore year; we just pulled like everyone else fish year.

I think the "corps segregation" argument is way oversold. Fish year, we may have been way up on 3rd deck, but we were still with our buddies and their dates. Only difference was we'd give more high-fives to nonregs after a big play.

Likewise, the seat quality argument WAS oversold (no clue about how it is in New Kyle). Yeah, one could argue the fish and heads had better seats, but the upperclassmen don't. Our white belts were PISSED when it was announced. It was their turn for 2nd deck btw the 30s and now they were forced onto 1st from end zone to 30? Not happy.

As for block today, I'm ambivalent. It is good from a Corps marketing perspective, but that too is probably oversold. But one thing that is true is the guys writing the big checks like it. A lot.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

But one thing that is true is the guys writing the big checks like it. A lot.
I've heard that asserted. I assume there is no way to prove/disprove.
HollywoodBQ
AG
As a Saxophone player, I enjoyed my years of 4th row, 40 yardline in the SWC.

The Corps Block was rekindled after my time when the Corps was much smaller than it is today.

A comprise idea, maybe we designate a Corps Block game like they do Maroon Out which also started after my time.

And if you want other school comparisons, Virginia Tech puts their Corps 8lock in one end zone and their Corps Band - the Highty Tighties, in the other end zone. They also have a non reg band which I'm glad we don't.
Federale01
AG
It's a PR thing. Every game the cameras do panning shots of corps block. It highlights and over-emphasizes the Corps to a national audience, so those in charge won't change it no matter how much it's hated. You dont get great shots of the Corps if CT's are all spread out through the rest of the crowd. Most people hated it when it first started but those in charge really didn't listen to us.
CanyonAg77
AG
If they broke up the Corps block, the cameras would focus on the BQs
AncientArmy
AG
Beg your pardon, General, but the SEC rules state--no student seating within 25 rows of the field between the 30s. I don't know the exact number of rows there are in the lower deck "student" section, but I did find seats for sale on Stubhub up to row 31.
That means there could be at least six rows of seats from goal line to goal line across the top of the west side lower level that could be set aside for the Corps.
It's time to provide the Corps the seating it deserves!
Warrior 66
I won't argue the point with you, Ancient. But I would offer that the "first 25 rows between the 30s" is pretty much "directly behind the visiting team's bench," as I stated previously.

And as stated previously, we will review Corps seating next spring, as we do every year.

Your objection is noted. Thanks.
AncientArmy
AG
I won't argue with you either, General, because I don't want to jeopardize possible (?) FAIR treatment for Corps seating in the future.
Warrior 66
I have NO idea how YOU will jeopardize ANYTHING wrt the Corps, Ancient, but if it makes you feel better, OK.
CT'97
AG
I really like seeing the Corps as a block on TV. I can't explain it specifically but I do, and I sat with the rest of the students through the early/mid 90's.
TXAggieMom11
I see the comment that fish sit with their upperclassmen often but it isn't true. Due to the size of the Corps very few fish if any get tickets in the block.
bigtruckguy3500
TXAggieMom11 said:

I see the comment that fish sit with their upperclassmen often but it isn't true. Due to the size of the Corps very few fish if any get tickets in the block.

Are they spread out through the rest of the fish pull, up on 3rd deck or wherever? I think is good for fish to mingle with non regs.
Warrior 66
AggieMom is correct. The majority of the Corps (upperclassmen) is seated in the Northeast corner of Kyle Field, on the first deck. A majority of the fish sit in a block in the Southeast corner in the first deck. With the exception of the Band, most fish sit with their fish buddies - NOT their upperclassmen.
AncientArmy
AG
What's with all the capitalized words, general? Are you getting angry? This is what I was afraid of--your taking your anger against an old CT out on the Corps.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Dude, rest.
JABQ04
AG
Should have joined the band if you wanted good seats to games
Warrior 66
No anger here, Ancient. Not sure where you derived that from capitalized letters, but there is nothing on this thread that has gotten me angry, I can assure you.

And I am certainly not "taking my anger against an old CT out on the Corps," whatever that means.

As I stated before, your objection to the current state of Corps seating is noted. I have no intention of discussing this any further with you.

Thanks for your love of our Corps. Beat the hell outta South Carolina!
CanyonAg77
AG
Commandant79 said:

No anger here, Ancient. Not sure where you derived that from capitalized letters, but there is nothing on this thread that has gott
Some people interpret ALL CAPS as SHOUTING! As in,

HOWDY, DAMMIT!

as opposed to

Howdy!
CanyonAg77
AG
JABQ04 said:

Should have joined the band if you wanted good seats to games
Pre-SEC, yes. Post joining SEC, not so much.
chickencoupe16
AG
Commandant79 said:

No anger here, Ancient. Not sure where you derived that from capitalized letters, but there is nothing on this thread that has gotten me angry, I can assure you.

Might want to ask a cadet to review your posts if this concept escapes you.
INOX
Perhaps I'm getting to old but I simply took it as a point of emphasis.
Warrior 66
I'm old too, INOX, because thats all that was - emphasis - not anger. Lesson learned!
Southlake
We didn't sit in a Corps Block back in the mid 80's and it gave us a chance to watch the game with other non-reg students - many of which became good friends. After spending all week on the Quad with my Corps buddies, I really enjoyed sitting with the overall student body and not be segregated into a Corps Block.

And, it was so much fun to, "Pull" with my class and get better seats on the upper decks.

Break up those Corps Blocks and let the TV audience see that the Corps mixes with the rest of the AggiesM
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Break up those Corps Blocks and let the TV audience see that the Corps mixes with the rest of the Aggies
They will simply focus on the Band. Cadets at a game in uniform are unusual. TV loves unusual.
chickencoupe16
AG
Even if they do focus on the band, at least the cadets will be interspersed with non-regs. Plenty of cadets could use a little non-reg interaction. And even then, you're still going to get some shots of cadets next to non-regs.
CanyonAg77
AG
Yep, I agreed with that concept, earlier in this thread.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.