Corps Strength?

3,634 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AGinSEC
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any early idea of the strength for the start of school?
Warrior 66
Numbers are down this year, as they are for the university as a whole. I expect the Corps will start the year around 2500 cadets - still the largest the Corps has been since 1970.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Thanks sir.
74OA
AG
So the "slightly larger" strength report here isn't accurate?
Trinity Ag
S
74OA said:

What is inaccurate?

The Corps Class of 2022 starting number is smaller than the Class of 2021 -- which is true of the University as a whole as well, as the University took fewer admits than in 2021.

But the overall Corps strength is still slightly larger.
74OA
AG
Trinity Ag said:

74OA said:

FSo the "slightly larger" strength report here isn't accurate?
What is inaccurate?

The Corps Class of 2022 starting number is smaller than the Class of 2021 -- which is true of the University as a whole as well, as the University took fewer admits than in 2021.

Ah, I see. You were referring to the fish class. Thanks.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Trinity Ag said:

74OA said:

What is inaccurate?

the linked article is the 2017 corps numbers
tgray99
AG
Why is the Trigon moving jr & sr cadets around outfits to fill leadership positions? Not just females. Males as well.

What cadet would want to leave his/her fish buddies to go to another outfit to go be a first sgt there? How does this lend itself to building & maintaining outfit camaraderie? Is it more important to mimic USMA or to maintain the uniqueness of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets experience?
Federale01
AG
tgray99 said:

Why is the Trigon moving jr & sr cadets around outfits to fill leadership positions? Not just females. Males as well.

What cadet would want to leave his/her fish buddies to go to another outfit to go be a first sgt there? How does this lend itself to building & maintaining outfit camaraderie? Is it more important to mimic USMA or to maintain the uniqueness of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets experience?

For better or worse, I think your description of what is happening answers your last question.
JABQ04
AG
Unpopular opinion here and definitely not PC, but I'll venture that there are some who feel like they have to be in a major leadership role (1SG, CO, XO) and will take any opportunity they can get. Maybe there was a negative experience in their original outfit, they felt under appreciated, or realized they wouldn't get a big opportunity i their outfit and threw their name into the ring for another opportunity, but, and again this is only MY opinion, loyalties aside they decide to leave their outfit and assume a leadership role elsewhere. I get it sometimes it happens due to extenuating circumstances but I'd wager there are more than a few who won't feel like the CoC was a successful four years unless they are a 1SG or Commander.
Mayor West
AG
The correct answer is "diversity"
Wildman15
AG
JABQ04 said:

Unpopular opinion here and definitely not PC, but I'll venture that there are some who feel like they have to be in a major leadership role (1SG, CO, XO) and will take any opportunity they can get. Maybe there was a negative experience in their original outfit, they felt under appreciated, or realized they wouldn't get a big opportunity i their outfit and threw their name into the ring for another opportunity, but, and again this is only MY opinion, loyalties aside they decide to leave their outfit and assume a leadership role elsewhere. I get it sometimes it happens due to extenuating circumstances but I'd wager there are more than a few who won't feel like the CoC was a successful four years unless they are a 1SG or Commander.
Bingo.
Cannon Crew Ag
AG
JABQ04 said:

Fair point, and I think that's definitely the case with some, but in the case where cadets don't want to be moved around is another scenario that we had a problem with during my time. I know of several instances in my class and the classes above and below where a buddy class would have two guys apply for a CO position, knowing that only one would get it. On occasion the trigon would determine that both were qualified for leadership and one would be given the choice to command another outfit. This sounds great for somebody that wanted any leadership position that they could get, but if the cadet declined in lieu of staying with their buddy class, they were "punished" and were moved out of the outfit without a leadership position.
JABQ04
AG
That sucks and was a stupid policy
Wildman15
AG
I think the idea is when you apply for any high ranking position (first sgt and up) you throw your name in for ALL of those open positions on the quad, not just "B-Batt C/O". My junior year, a buddy from A-Co was brought in to be the first sgt of B-Batt because he applied for a first sgt position. Our zip year, he applied to be Band Commander, but ended up being selected as one of the regiment commanders, therefore essentially missing out on halftime performances except for maybe the 4 way cross and the bowl game.
JABQ04
AG
Barring extenuating circumstances, I find it hard to believe each outfit can't find three qualified people to be CO/XO/1SG within their own ranks. The Corps is a leadership organization, give people a chance to lead. If they totally screw it up, fire them and out someone else in. Each outfit has its own "flavor" for lack of a better word. I didn't agree with messing with that.
tgray99
AG
Sadly, the Trigon is going to ruin a good thing.
CharlieBrown17
AG
tgray99 said:

Sadly, the Trigon is going to ruin a good thing.

What you're worried about isn't new.

If an outfit has been performing well they typically don't get outside leadership and are usually "rewarded" by having multiple class members hold leadership positions.

There's a balance between keeping outfit culture by only promoting from within and watching an outfit struggle because a class goes through four years without seeing what a healthy outfit or good leadership looks like.
sharpdressedman
74OA said:

It is very close to the number the Commandant mentioned. I'm pleased to see 16% female. There is somethong special about a woman in uniform. :-)
HollywoodBQ
AG
16% Female looks like it's about inline with the military.

Demographics of the U.S. Military

AGinSEC
I'm not sure where to ask this question so I'll do it here. How does the Corps now accomidate wheelchair users? Is there not a PT requirement?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.