Sophomores not allowed to yell anymore

7,077 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Good Bull Jones 17
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep, never heard of CPT card, assumed it had to do with Captain somebody
bigtruckguy3500

So when I was there, different outfits did Battfish differently. My outfit, and perhaps this is why I feel this way, just had us get the batts and deliver to upperclassmen. Other outfits seemed to enjoy and encourage fish to dress up and act stupid as they did it. Often times they'd wear their Corps sweats with underwear over top, a cape and mask, and go running around singing the batman tune. Of course Batts would run out or be delivered late to the Quad, so they'd have to run to other buildings nearby like that.

I'm all for making fish do stupid stuff, but not off the quad.
Jock 07
AG
I have no clue what a CPT card is either. As for batfish, only certain outfits did the whole dumbass dress up/ singing thing and they were judged harshly by the normal outfits. Battfish itself was a pretty cool concept and nice as an upperclassman to have a paper every day.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Corrective
Physical
Training

Basically PC'ed smoking. Idea was you could only CPT someone for their issues and there were guidelines to follow.

There's a list of exercises and you can do it for x minutes, short break, x minutes again.

Plenty of time to get someone gassed if you're creative.
Jock 07
AG
Can you still do, "go touch Duncan/Heldenfels/etc"?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Wasn't outlawed that I'm aware from. Wouldn't do it to somewhere off quad. Think I only ever did that/had someone do it if we were already outside in PT gear for something
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Haven't visited the Quad since 2011. Going to be weird not hearing any yelling on a game day. Heard there's no running in the hallways anymore either...not sure if true or rumor though.
Montgomery Burns
AG
Jock 07 said:

Can you still do, "go touch Duncan/Heldenfels/etc"?

I remember being pisshead cadre and we pissed the juniors off realbad one night. Had to run and take a group photo at the intersection of George Bush and Harvey Mitchell. Easy smoking, built comradery, and pretty sure we still have the photo somewhere.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Quote:

I'm all for making fish do stupid stuff, but not off the quad.
Yep, corps games for the Quad.

As we were always told: "Discretion is the better part of valor" and "there's a fine line between red ass and dumb ass."
JWAggie1991
AG
This kinda makes me laugh. My son is currently a fish in FOW and he's pretty sure the upperclassmen are allowed to yell. Lots of yelling
NH23
I can't say that I agree. I do not see the Corps becoming a big 'ol hangout where we sit around and sing kumbaya. All the CTO's are from a literal Old Army (Marines/Navy/Air Force). They are the breed that got destroyed during the boot or OCS. Some of them are old Hats as well. So the strictness, discipline, and respect I don't see going away any time soon. To quote the great Chesty Puller

"In the Marine Corps, your buddy is not only your classmate or fellow officer, but he is also the Marine under your command. If you don't prepare yourself to properly train him, lead him, and support him on the battlefield, then you're going to let him down. That is unforgivable in the Marine Corps."

The idea of being a strict, yet loving leader is not "New Army". It's a tried and true doctrine. I would like to believe that the Commandant and CTO's are trying to lead the Corps that way. We were also all assigned to read President Gates' speech to the Corps from 2003. In it he said somethig that really brought light to the reason for the changes.

"Let me conclude wit a word about leadership...A great danger in any organization is that first time a person is given authority over another person, he or she, too often, chooses to demonstrate that authority by making life miserable for subordinates. I call such People 'Little Dictators.'"

We have to keep in mind that the when we became Pissheads, that was the first time in our life where we had actual authority over another person in a Military Training Environment.
01agtx
AG
My first day in the Corps. My parents walked into the dorm with me. I put my footlocker in my hole and I walked them back to their car. I walked back in the dorm, and a guy hollered at me saying " hey d bag. Get your effing ass down here now." There were no rules on politeness. It was pretty brutal. Would not trade it.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Alb01 said:

My first day in the Corps. My parents walked into the dorm with me. I put my footlocker in my hole and I walked them back to their car. I walked back in the dorm, and a guy hollered at me saying " hey d bag. Get your effing ass down here now." There were no rules on politeness. It was pretty brutal. Would not trade it.
I see the problem: you walked too much that day!
Ordhound04
AG
I don't remember getting yelled at FOW. We were mostly trained by white belts for FOW and the first week of schools.

The first "yelling" was when we first "met" the sophomores. The yellkng picked up after that through the 1st semester going into corps brass. It was all yelling all the time during corps brass.
Good Bull Jones 17
AG
Well the real big change apparently is that now, the juniors are the trainers. That's what the CO of my old outfit was telling me.

No training chow anymore too. I'll admit I never believed training chow had purpose, but that doesn't mean I thought we should get rid of it. I think it's harmless (as long as the fish are given some period of time where they are allowed to eat everything they want) so it doesn't necessitate a ban.

I think anything that's legitimately harmful shouldn't be allowed, but not EVERYTHING needs a greater life purpose. A lot of innocent fun has been killed over the years I was there because there wasn't enough "purpose." And there needs to be room for fun.
Montgomery Burns
AG
I have heard similar things. Sounds like the class structure that worked for how many decades? is radically different now.
Jock 07
AG
so what exactly would you say the sophomores actually do around there now?
JABQ04
AG
Jock 07 said:

I'm hoping you were going for this because as soon as I read it this is what I pictured.

?resize=625%2C338
BQ78
AG
Not flunk out and make the units bigger for march-in.
Jock 07
AG
exactly what I was going for
Jock 07
AG
BQ78 said:

Not flunk out and make the units bigger for march-in.
why not both like it's been done without issue for years?
bigtruckguy3500
Good Bull Jones 17 said:

No training chow anymore too. I'll admit I never believed training chow had purpose, but that doesn't mean I thought we should get rid of it. I think it's harmless (as long as the fish are given some period of time where they are allowed to eat everything they want) so it doesn't necessitate a ban.
By training chow do you mean the square meals and what not? I thought that was transitioned a few years ago to only until Corps brass was done? Or was it only through FOW?

Either way, I knew it was only a matter of time before yet something else was taken away.

And with sophomores no longer being the direct leaders, what's the new leadership learning model? Follower -> Direct -> Indirect -> Executive. Are butts both direct and indirect now? (And yes, I know butts are already supposed to be direct leaders to the heads).
CharlieBrown17
AG
I was told they still train at chows but no square meals by a current zip in my old outfit.
bigtruckguy3500
What training happens at chow? "Training chow" it's not a term we used, and I don't recall being trained at chow, other than ensuring we were following square meal rules, getting asked occasional questions, and I think that's it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
That's it

Questions, having to get permission to sit and leave, general unpleasantness depending on your upperclassmen

We used the term to differentiate between that and when fish got free flow (chow at a table alone with their class) for some reason like before arch yell
Good Bull Jones 17
AG
Jock 07 said:

That CO told me that they are the "model." They are supposed to show the fish what a good cadet looks like. But my brothers are in the Corps, one is a zip and one is a PH. So I need to ask them for clarification because they haven't reported that back to me. Maybe it's being implemented to varying degrees across the outfits (as most things are).
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.