Service Ribbon help.

1,413 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Scoopen Skwert
Scoopen Skwert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm restoring a display for a family member. The restoration part is easy but when I come to the ribbon rack I'm lost. I've asked about his DD214 and they look at me like I'm speaking Martian. Is there a way to search by ssn to figure out what ribbons he earned? The ribbons are faded beyond recognition.

Thanks and Gig'em.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
He was in the Navy during WWII. I can look past the fact that after the war he graduated from tu. He's family and a fellow war fighter.
AEK
AG
Best way is to send off for the records from NARA in St. Louis. Fill out the SF 180 have the vet sign it and mail it in. 90 days later you will get what you need to finish the project...and maybe more.

https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/military-personnel
CT'97
AG
Check with county records where ever he lived when he got out after the war. It was common to file a copy of the DD214 with the country courthouse.
Something you can still do today but is not really done much.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
AEK said:

Best way is to send off for the records from NARA in St. Louis. Fill out the SF 180 have the vet sign it and mail it in. 90 days later you will get what you need to finish the project...and maybe more.

https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/military-personnel

My wives' grandfather is dead
JABQ04
AG
You can still send off for the record. I think only the closest surfing next of kin can sign for a deceased servicmembers file. We're looking into for my grandfathers WWII record and he passsd in 1958
74OA
AG
Read the link. There are provisions for that.
AEK
AG
Sorry to hear that. If his service ended before 1956 the record is most likely archival in nature, which means anyone can request a copy. The SF 180 will have all the info and some phone numbers as well. I have done this multiple times with no issues other than the 90 day wait to get stuff back. Good luck!
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Thanks for the responses.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.