A&M takes over US nuke arsenal

2,405 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CanyonAg77
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/texas-nations-nuclear-arsenal/
CanyonAg77
AG
The arsenal is either in missile silos, on submarines, at a select few Air Force Bases, or in Amarillo.

It is not at Los Alamos.

Regarding nukes, they are the design agency. They do the basic research and design, and Pantex is the one slapping them together.

Los Alamos also does much, much more than nukes. It is an incredible place doing bleeding edge research on a number of projects.
Dumbdumb
Don't forget the super cool stuff that Sandia does! And Pantex does do some pretty neat stuff way more so than what us normal civilian's are allowed to know about.
sharpdressedman
Headline:

"Rick Perry Hands Texas A&M Lucrative Los Alamos Contract"

I know it just KILLED Texas Monthly to write that story, so they had to take a shot where they could.

fullback44
AG

I just read this article, this is an amazing story and some dam serious stuff to be in charge of. Las Alamos Labs.. world famous for sure. God I hope they are never used though.
Noblemen06
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

The arsenal is either in missile silos, on submarines, at a select few Air Force Bases, or in Amarillo.

It is not at Los Alamos.

Regarding nukes, they are the design agency. They do the basic research and design, and Pantex is the one slapping them together.

Los Alamos also does much, much more than nukes. It is an incredible place doing bleeding edge research on a number of projects.
As a current Air Force Fellow at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, I am compelled to expand on this a little - the National Security Labs (Los Alamos, Livermore, and Sandia) do incredible work outside of the nuclear arena in military and non-military fields. Livermore, for example, has used its supercomputers to gain new insight into traumatic brain injury and develop modern, low-collateral damage conventional munitions that are in high-demand on the battlefield...and those just scratch the surface of their non-nuclear work. They also do amazing science every day that continues to ensure our nuclear arsenal is ready for the worst and reinforce the credibility of our strategic deterrent.

Proud for A&M to be in this role at LANL and excited for what the partnership between our great university and one of the world's greatest centers for research and development will yield for our country and humanity in the future.
CanyonAg77
AG
Agreed on both counts. All the National Labs are doing amazing stuff. And having A&M's name associated with one of them is an incredible feather in our cap.

I'd say it's on the prestige scale somewhere near a Presidential Library.

Which we also have....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.