Uniform ID from WWII

2,765 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CT'97
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know this young hero, just saw it on Facebook. I found his uniform rather unique. My first guess is MP, given the whistle. Anyone else have more info?

Quote:

Traces of Texas reader Stephanie Hewitt graciously shared this nice portrait of her great uncle, August H. Pilsner, who was killed in the Battle for the Vire River in France on July 28, 1944. As you can see, he was a staff sergeant. August was from Moulton, Texas, and is buried in the cemetery of the Catholic church there. A heroic Texan.

Thank you, Stephanie. RIP, August Pilsner!

Facebook
Pro Sandy
AG
Patch looks like 2nd infantry

Grave includes 9th infantry
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/69652887/august-h.-pilsner

He's got a cool name.
clarythedrill
Second Infantry Division is the unit, 9th Infantry Regiment "MANCHUS" is the regiment.
JABQ04
AG
For sure 2nd Infantry Division and 9th infantry regiment. Including he belt buckle. Only things I can decipher about the whistle is; A) he was an MP attached to this unit or B) it was dor NCOs and other leaders as an alternative means of signaling.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Google search revealed that whistles are part of U.S. Army MP's uniform. He was an MP.
StrykerAg
AG
My google search revealed that NCOs and junior officers also used whistles
45-70Ag
AG
Indian head
AEK
AG
The Manchus have a long and distinguished history. Another interesting fact is they also have their own belt buckle that is unique to their regiment. SSG Pilsner is wearing it in this picture. I don't know about the whistle but the lanyard is the French Croix-de-Guerre.

More on buckle here:
http://www.manchu.org/linage/buckle/
Ulysses90
AG
Coix de Guerre

Fouragere

hth

JABQ04
AG
The fourragere or however you spell it was awarded to units who earned at least two Croix de Guerres. Honestly I never knew this until just now. Pretty neat. And there were different ones. The French WWI, French WWII and Belgian variations. The one I saw wore the most was the French WWI which is mostly green with red speckling. Some are opposite, mostly red with green speckling.

https://www.6thmarines.marines.mil/Units/2nd-Battalion/History/Fourragere

I wore the fouragere when I was with 2ID in the 12th and 15th Field Artillery. I also earned my Manchu Buckle by doing the Manchu Mile back in November 2012. That was a long ass mile
aeon-ag
Rabid Cougar said:

Google search revealed that whistles are part of U.S. Army MP's uniform. He was an MP.
His lapel insignia indicated some other MOS than Military Police, MP insignia is Cross Pistols.

Former MP.

CT'97
AG
aeon-ag said:

Rabid Cougar said:

His lapel insignia indicated some other MOS than Military Police, MP insignia is Cross Pistols.

Former MP.

The crossed pistols are on a disc on the upper lapel. The lower lapel is the regimental crest, the same as is on his cover.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.