Retirement

1,346 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ulysses90
SemperGigEm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy, Ags.

Retirement's coming up, about two years out. Arty by trade, but I've been in the acquisitions field since 2013, time split between operational test and evaluation and program management as a project officer.

Not much desire to switch to GS/contracting in defense acquisitions but, frankly, not entirely sure what's out there.

I've briefly talked to a placement firm, but am concerned that I'll be one of many candidates that look and sound generally the same.

Any thoughts or advice on making the transition? Thanks in advance!
clarythedrill
Watching this, as I too will retire in two years. Much like you, the GS realm does not interest me much at all.
BQ78
AG
Sounds like you ought to look at companies that do business with the government and apply what you know to selling to the government.
Ulysses90
AG
I also came to acquisitions by way of arty and I'm five weeks away from my retirement. Like you, I have no desire to work as civil service or contract support for the Marine Corps. I've been pleased at the options I am finding. There are probably many options available and they do not all involve commuting on I-95 in the NCR.

Go to the transition seminar now and then go again in a year when you are closer to your retirement date. I would also begin filling our the DD Form 2807 medical history now just so that you can turn it in for review by a VSO before filing with the VA.

As an artilleryman I would also recommend getting your hearing aid(s) now. Think of it as a decoration to go along with your St. Barbara's medal. It's easier while you are on active duty than going through the VA (my younger brother provided that tip). I was only slightly below the normal range in one ear but it's worth doing. The one I was given is Bluetooth controlled through a smartphone and is more like a bionic ear. You can put you phone on the far side of the room and use it as a remote mic to hear interesting conversations (not that I would do that). Batteries are free while you are on active duty and a year's worth only costs about $15 on Amazon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.