Trump return salute to NK General

1,929 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by usmcbrooks
Bowlinag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts from our military officers. Seems one side is blowing this up, per usual.

Is this a non-issue or an insult to you guys who serve? I remember my dad returning salutes to NCOs or lower ranks, but never saw any interactions with foreign forces when he was in Australia, Okinawa or Korea.
clarythedrill
Doesnt bother me in the least. Its amazing the amount of mileage you can get out of the smallest gesture.
Seven Costanza
AG
Saluting between friendly forces is common. While NK is not a friendly force, it would be rude to not return a salute in that situation (in my opinion). It would be similar to the General extending his arm for a handshake and Trump not shaking his hand.

To be fair, if Obama had done the same, the media wouldn't care. And the right would be flipping out.
Bowlinag
AG
My thoughts as well. Thanks guys.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

And the right would be flipping ou

No.
Trinity Ag
S
The historical root of saluting is openly displaying the right (sword) hand when parlaying with an enemy/adversary.

There is nothing inappropriate about returning the salute of a foreign military member -- particularly when you are theoretically at a peace summit. I found it pretty bizarre how so many talking heads wanted/expected the President to actively criticize or publicly humiliate Kim Jong Un in the middle of a summit where you are trying to negotiate some sort of deal. Why would you do that?

Maybe giving a murderous dictator an equal status on stage is a bad idea, and unlikely to bear fruit. I thought the whole thing was poorly thought out, and pretty hamfisted -- but the salute itself is a nothing-burger.
aeon-ag
Bowlinag said:

Thoughts from our military officers. Seems one side is blowing this up, per usual.

Is this a non-issue or an insult to you guys who serve? I remember my dad returning salutes to NCOs or lower ranks, but never saw any interactions with foreign forces when he was in Australia, Okinawa or Korea.
This is common among soldiers, not so much civilians. The salute and return is military courtesy, respect among soldiers.
usmcbrooks
At least he didn't bow down and apologize.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.