War College Graduation gift ideas needed

2,775 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ag_EQ12
Drshovelhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My BIL. ('97) graduates from Army War College in a couple of weeks and the wife and I are trying to figure what to get him as a gift. I was hoping somebody could give us some ideas for an appropriate gift. Thanks in advance
74OA
AG
Drshovelhead said:

My BIL. ('97) graduates from Army War College in a couple of weeks and the wife and I are trying to figure what to get him as a gift. I was hoping somebody could give us some ideas for an appropriate gift. Thanks in advance
A firm handshake? After all, he's a grown man, not a kid graduating from college, and this is probably the third major professional military education venue he's attended during his career. IMO, congratulations from extended family are sufficient, so don't feel pressure to come up with a gift--Army promotion boards will take care of that.
Drshovelhead
Grown man is debatable. We were thinking a nice bottle of 25yr scotch...so he could share, or getting him new 1911 with something engraved on the slide. But for the money, a firm hand shake works for me.
Fly Army 97
This is his first professional school he attended which he had to compete for admission (about 15-20% get to attend). I'd say a bottle of bourbon/scotch/whiskey would be a nice way to end a year before he goes on to swinging a bat for the Army. That and you get to celebrate...I'd recommend cigars too.

Trinity Ag
S
+1 on a bottle of something nice.

Naveronski
AG
+1 of the bottle.

Not sure how the O side works. Has he held company command or higher? If he doesn't drink yet, he will.
Fly Army 97
Nav - war college or senior service college is a strategic level school that a few folks attend late in their LTC or early COL years. Most attend post battalion command.
Naveronski
AG
Gotcha, thank you.

So yes, he drinks, but now he drinks nice things.
K2-HMFIC
Drshovelhead said:

Grown man is debatable. We were thinking a nice bottle of 25yr scotch...so he could share, or getting him new 1911 with something engraved on the slide. But for the money, a firm hand shake works for me.
That's a bit much.

Don't need to spend more than $100...hell most wives and kids didnt even attend the Air Force WC grad.
Ag_EQ12
AG
K2-HMFIC said:

Drshovelhead said:

That's a bit much.

Don't need to spend more than $100...hell most wives and kids didnt even attend the Air Force WC grad.

This. A nice bottle would be appropriate but nothing more. His reward was getting selected and the effect it will have at his boards. The guy just got paid 100K (ish) to go to residence SDE for a year and, depending on his career path, it was probably a welcome break.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.