Army branching options...

3,609 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by APHIS AG
Aggie118
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy! I have chosen to move forward and pursue an Army contract (I should be officially contracted this coming Fall) and I thought I would see what you all had to say about the different branching options. Right now my top 5 are Aviation, Armor, Field Artillery, Infantry, and Military Intelligence. I know that nothing is guaranteed, and there's a chance I may not get one of these, but I would just like some insight from any Army Ags' experiences in their branch, or which one they wish they had done. So, in general, which branches should I be aiming for, and why? Thanks!
clarythedrill
There are people who ride around in 72 tons, with 1500 horsepower, and can kill point targets at a little over three miles. And there are those who cannot. 19A, and thank me later.
HollywoodBQ
AG
It's been a long time since I filled out my accessions requests but in my era, I think you had to put down something like 8 choices and it had to include Combat Arms, Combat Service Support and whatever the other area is that I can't remember.

There was also some strategery (sic) to it. Like I had a buddy who was Agricultural Economics who had banked on going Active Duty with his 2.0 in Ag Eco (I don't know if those were his actual grades but he wasn't far from it anyway) so, he put Chemical Corps as his first choice and got it.

There was also the rumor that if you were an Aggie and wanted Active Duty to pick Field Artillery. For the record, I've recently learned that they have the same rumor at VMI.

For me, I always wanted Combat Engineers until the Fall of 1991 when A&M did a Military Appreciation football game where the First Cavalry Division brought down a bunch of Tanks, Engineer vehicles and other military equipment and set it up on the Polo Grounds - near where the Bonfire Memorial is now. Anyway, after talking to the Tank Crewmen, I was hooked. After that day, my goal was Armor and nothing else.

I managed to get Armor but, be prepared to hear these words - "Based on the needs of the Army".

Also, these days, there is a new branch called Cyber so who knows what kind of opportunity there might be there.
clarythedrill
HollywoodBQ said:

It's been a long time since I filled out my accessions requests but in my era, I think you had to put down something like 8 choices and it had to include Combat Arms, Combat Service Support and whatever the other area is that I can't remember.

There was also some strategery (sic) to it. Like I had a buddy who was Agricultural Economics who had banked on going Active Duty with his 2.0 in Ag Eco (I don't know if those were his actual grades but he wasn't far from it anyway) so, he put Chemical Corps as his first choice and got it.

There was also the rumor that if you were an Aggie and wanted Active Duty to pick Field Artillery. For the record, I've recently learned that they have the same rumor at VMI.

For me, I always wanted Combat Engineers until the Fall of 1991 when A&M did a Military Appreciation football game where the First Cavalry Division brought down a bunch of Tanks, Engineer vehicles and other military equipment and set it up on the Polo Grounds - near where the Bonfire Memorial is now. Anyway, after talking to the Tank Crewmen, I was hooked. After that day, my goal was Armor and nothing else.

I managed to get Armor but, be prepared to hear these words - "Based on the needs of the Army".

Also, these days, there is a new branch called Cyber so who knows what kind of opportunity there might be there.
All cadets have to fill out their form rank ordering all branches, except females, who do not have to rank order Infantry.

Biggest thing that affects your branch is your GPA. If you are a DMG (top 10%) you will most likely get your number one choice, but not always. On the last Accessions board, the VAST majority got one of their top 3 choices. There used to be a computer program that you could enter all your accessions points and then your GPA, and it would tell you your chances of getting a certain branch, but that does not work anymore. As you said, needs of the Army trumps all.
JABQ04
AG
clarythedrill said:

There are people who ride around in 72 tons, with 1500 horsepower, and can kill point targets at a little over three miles. And there are those who cannot. 19A, and thank me later.

Or do it at over 30kms but hey, to each his own.

clarythedrill
JABQ04 said:

clarythedrill said:

Or do it at over 30kms but hey, to each his own.

My turret weights more than your entire vehicle, I have about four times the horsepower, you suck at killing point targets, and don't even look at your enemy in the face when you kill them, if you even do. Not to mention the fact you spend more time at non-lethal fires than lethal.

ARMOR all the way!!
JABQ04
AG
Ouch. Excalibur and PGK fuzes are making artillery more accurate as far point targets. Besides destroying entire grid squares is fun.

To the OP, from my stand point as an enlisted Field Artileryman I think FA looked interesting as an officer. You can serve as a platoon leader in either rocket or cannon artillery. Of cannon artillery you have SP (155 mm Paladins like the pic I posted), medium 155mm towed, (M777A2) or light 105 mm (M109 A2/3). You can serve in any type of unit, heavy, infantry BCT, airborne, Stryker, Air Assualt. You can also spend time with maneuver units as an FSO (fire support officer) or as the brains of the artillery in the Fire Direction Center, where you are probably the most important LT in the battery. You can attend all the cool guy schools (Ranger, Airborne, Air Assualt). Things are changing but two of my three deployments over seas we weren't even doing Arty. We lived in a Combat outpost and ran patrols both mounted and dismounted into our area of opertations. For as much as the 11 series deny,our battery was essentially a Rifle Company and did the same job. Afghanistan we shot and that was a whole new experience of actually doing my job and firing counter fire and for troops in contact. Had to know how to slingload equipment as that was the only way to get new guns or heavy stuff in or out. I had to privilege to not only serve in all three pieces of artillery in the army's arsenal but I chiefed all three including combat time.

IMHO FA is a very interesting branch in which you can and will change jobs frequently. Your mission is also diverse and you can do anything from FOB defense (which is lame but no doubt important) to kinetic operations against an enemy.

Oh and Clary direct fire 155mm into the enemy on the side of a mountain is pretty legit.
clarythedrill
JABQ04 said:

Ouch. Excalibur and PGK fuzes are making artillery more accurate as far point targets. Besides destroying entire grid squares is fun.

To the OP, from my stand point as an enlisted Field Artileryman I think FA looked interesting as an officer. You can serve as a platoon leader in either rocket or cannon artillery. Of cannon artillery you have SP (155 mm Paladins like the pic I posted), medium 155mm towed, (M777A2) or light 105 mm (M109 A2/3). You can serve in any type of unit, heavy, infantry BCT, airborne, Stryker, Air Assualt. You can also spend time with maneuver units as an FSO (fire support officer) or as the brains of the artillery in the Fire Direction Center, where you are probably the most important LT in the battery. You can attend all the cool guy schools (Ranger, Airborne, Air Assualt). Things are changing but two of my three deployments over seas we weren't even doing Arty. We lived in a Combat outpost and ran patrols both mounted and dismounted into our area of opertations. For as much as the 11 series deny,our battery was essentially a Rifle Company and did the same job. Afghanistan we shot and that was a whole new experience of actually doing my job and firing counter fire and for troops in contact. Had to know how to slingload equipment as that was the only way to get new guns or heavy stuff in or out. I had to privilege to not only serve in all three pieces of artillery in the army's arsenal but I chiefed all three including combat time.

IMHO FA is a very interesting branch in which you can and will change jobs frequently. Your mission is also diverse and you can do anything from FOB defense (which is lame but no doubt important) to kinetic operations against an enemy.

Oh and Clary direct fire 155mm into the enemy on the side of a mountain is pretty legit.
Just some branch ribbing. I love being around the M777, it is a pretty cool piece of gear. Yep, during the surge, everybody closed with and destroyed the enemy, not just the 11's.

Oh, an M1A2SEP is expected to hit a ten foot by ten foot target at over three miles. How big is a side of a mountain?
champagnepapi
There are two branches in the Army.

There is Infantry, and every else is just support.
Trident15
AG
clarythedrill said:

There are people who ride around in 10 tons, at 120 knots, and can kill point targets at a little over five miles. And there are those who cannot. Fly Army, AH-64s, and thank me later.
clarythedrill
Trident15 said:

clarythedrill said:

There are people who ride around in 10 tons, at 120 knots, and can kill point targets at a little over five miles. And there are those who cannot. Fly Army, AH-64s, and thank me later.

All the while you just sit back and hover and engage from a distance...no fun in that. Now those badass's in the Kiowa Warriors, they have balls, Aaapaasheys not so much. That's if yall can find the time to do it between all that sleep you have to get.
Complaint Investigator
AG
You won't regret aviation. You may regret every other choice. Except if you are forced to pick an Apache. Then you may regret it
champagnepapi
clarythedrill said:

Trident15 said:

clarythedrill said:

All the while you just sit back and hover and engage from a distance...no fun in that. Now those badass's in the Kiowa Warriors, they have balls, Aaapaasheys not so much. That's if yall can find the time to do it between all that sleep you have to get.

I got to guest ride in those last Kiowas at Rod Range in Korea!
Diyala Nick
AG
I was armor, it was awesome. Armor is also a lot more diverse now - you could end up on tanks, strykers, bradley's, or just your two feet. Reconnaissance has become a huge part of the armor branch.

Infantry and Combat Engineers would be great as well. I'm sure Aviation is a blast. Field Artillery would be a good gig as a fire support officer, especially in a light infantry unit.

Do lots and lots of push ups every day. And run...fast.
Fly Army 97
Choosing your branch is a big choice...but at the end of the day, it's like choosing an outfit at A&M. You are gonna love it no matter where you end up and eventually tell Clary that he has sniffed too much JP8 coming out of his tank.

That said, you listed branches there that all work in and around the BCT...the nucleus of the Army. Personally, I've had numerous MI officers work for me, but in a battalion S2 shop, those with branch detailed experience as an IN or AR PL brought a lot to the table relative to their peers. That wares off going to BDE. I recommend considering branch detail if you go MI.

Consider your career as an officer. You will serve as a PL, junior staff officer (assistant S3, BN S4, maybe company XO or second PL). Maybe you serve beyond your initial commitment.....and A LOT of officers no longer work in their branch as they volunteered to transfer to a functional area/different branch like Civil Affairs, Acquisition, or Special Forces. So, maybe jumping out of airplanes and leading Troops on foot is your thing, but it isn't after 4 years. There are a ton of options down the road, and your branch of choice will shape how you see the military in general.

I'm biased for AV, and it's a small community, but you will have a longer commitment. I have enjoyed being able to lead in the cockpit and fly in every DIV unit in which I've served. We have a wide variety of missions our airframes can support...but by the time an officer is a field grade or post-company command, I don't really care what they fly. I expect them to be proficient in reconnaissance/security, attack, assault, movement to contact.

Don't let branch ego get in the way of you remembering that at the end of the day, our job as officers is to lead. What branch will allow you to best serve our Soldiers who deserve the very best leaders can provide?
AGhistorian
If I were you I would settle on several branches that you would be interested in working in. Depending on your ranking and all of that you might not get your first choice, or even your second choice. Also have a combat support branch picked out that you think is interesting. Just remember there are cool things to do in almost every branch you just need to seek them out.

For example I know QM officers who have gone the Rigger route (technically ADMO). They have ended up getting so many really cool opportunities, HALO, Jumpmaster, Pathfinder, etc...Not to mentioned going on exercises to work with militaries all over the world to teach them how to do air drop stuff. I didn't know that QM officers had those kind of options until I was in an airborne unit and talk to one.

Something else to consider is what you might enjoy doing beyond the company level. Some branches kind of top out on the exciting assignments after you leave the company grade level. One of my Infantry officer friends who later when on to become an Army Physician Assistant basically said kicking in doors gets old after a while, and it really does a number on your body. He loved it but as he got older he wanted to do something a little different.

I would also talk to people from different branch about "what they really do." Don't ask them about all the cool stuff, ask them what they do on a normal day, on deployment and in garrison. You spend most of your time doing pretty mundane stuff. The key is finding something that you will enjoy and challenges you everyday, not just on the really, really cool days. For example there are some opportunities in the MI branch to learn how to do strategic intel analysis where you are really "doing" the job you were trained for every day (just to make it clear MI officers don't actually do intel analysis in their normal jobs, and if they tell you they do be suspicious).

All I'm saying is, in the Infantry you don't shoot guns everyday, in Armor branch you spend a ton of time doing maintenance, same in Field Artillery. These things are really important, but they aren't sexy, so just be prepared to do a lot of boring stuff preparing to do the cool stuff.
champagnepapi
Infantry is the best branch in the Army.

Don't be a POG
oldag941
AG
I was an engineer. I'd recommend it, especially if you have an engineering degree. It's pretty diverse. You can do the combat engineer route (all I did) within the brigade combat teams. Your secondary mission is infantry, so you do a lot of that training. You also support either armor or infantry units (in some cases you are closer to them than you are to your engineer chain of command). You can do mech, light or airborne (and air assault). I did mech with two battalions and then airborne at Ft. Bragg. You have a pretty fair shot at all of the cool schools too. You can also head towards the construction (heavy) side, which is good experience and work to prep for the civilian life. If you stick with it, you'll also have opportunities to work for the Corps of Engineer districts. Basically a civilian job but wearing a uniform. Working with cities, states, bases on water related projects and construction. I did this in Korea, Carson (Colorado), and Bragg (N. Carolina) with deployments to Kosovo and Iraq. It's a great branch that gives you experience and a good network once you decide to punch out.
Trinity Ag
S
Every branch has something to offer.

The parochialism/rivalry can be good bull, provided you understand it is just woofing.

The important part of branch selection is understanding and being honest with yourself about your talents and ambitions.

Infantry isn't for everyone. Neither is Armor. Or Aviation. Or Engineers. If your life's ambition is the manage a hospital, then Medical Service is the way. If you love supply/maintenance, or want to be a senior executive in Amazon or Walmart after you get out, Logistics is a great choice.

As a general rule, I advise prospective officers to go combat arms if they have the inclination, and don't have strong feelings about other branches.

In part, because leading Soldiers is the core function of what the Army is about. Second, Infantry & Armor -- and to a lesser extent Artillery -- provide the most flexibility. If you like it, you can stay and shoot for battalion command and beyond.

If you decide you don't like it, or are not a great fit, branch transferring is easy -- to logistics, MI, Signal, or other "shortage" branches that need a lot of CPTs. And there are also career field destinations available after the 4-year mark: Acquisition, Foreign Area Officer, Simulations, Space, Comptroller, Force Management, etc.

All those feed out of the combat arms -- and less so from more technical branches.

It is almost impossible to start as a Signal or Quartermaster officer and then decide you want to be Infantry as a CPT. I know it has happened on rare occasions, but it takes serious GO involvement. But going from Infantry to QM or Signal is usually a 4187. If you have a good file, the other branches want you. And frankly, Infantry is so competitive they will let you go if you don't want to be there.
jimgunn101
AG
if your not Cavalry, your not sh--
Fly Army 97
Hmmm he asked what he should branch not where should he be assigned by sheer luck or entry requirements.
ApachePilot
AG
Let me leave this right here
Pirate04
AG
Apaches, gross.
GAC06
AG
Why did they miss so much?
Agvet12
AG
Hated every ecounter I had with the army.... including the pilots.... but I agree don't be a POG
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Opened the thread for the presumptive dick measuring contest. Wasn't disappointed

But go aviation in army. Tanks are so 1990.
APHIS AG
champagnepapi said:

There are two branches in the Army.

There is Infantry, and every else is just support.
And without that support, the infantry goes nowhere, just sits there and starves.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.