I HATE the term MOH winner

1,589 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bufrilla
Aggie12B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You don't win the MOH! Bets are won, sporting events are won, the lottery is won, but the MOH is F***ing EARNED!!!

This is one of my biggest pet peeves.The very first MOH that was earned for the war in iraq was EARNED by a very good friend: SFC Paul R. Smith on 4APR03. He definitely didn't win it. I've had the honor of meeting 2 living MOH recipients, and neither one of them won theirs.

That's why I hate it when the word winner is used in conjunction with the MOH.
champagnepapi
Recipient
Ag fan grunt
Pick your battles, you'll never get civilians to stop saying it. Anyone in uniform that says it gets a knife hand or a slap hand and then move on.

It's like *****ing about unrealistic grenade explosions in movies
bufrilla
AG
The Medal of Honor is AWARDED for action above and beyond
My Weapons Squad Leader(I/3/3 Marines) was awarded the MOH, Posthumously, for
actions on 9 February 1969.
William R. Prom,
Joe Exotic
AG
One of the definitions of "win" is to "get possession of by effort or fortune". That applies to the MOH, or any medal for that matter. Unless of course you think no effort was expended.

I'm a literal person, not an emotional one. So this doesn't bother me based on one of the actual definitions of win.
F4GIB71
I agree completely but on a somewhat related topic, I hate the term "injured" in combat. You are injured when you fall off a ladder or hit your thumb with a hammer. One is "wounded" in combat.
bufrilla
AG
There are plenty of non combat related injuries. So what do you call them, sure not wounded.
I'm sure the term injury is commonly used during rehab and later. Take it with grain of salt and move on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.