Is this a thing now?

2,894 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CanyonAg77
tgray99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone see the pictures of the guy at the Popup event today wearing the Cadet shirt unbuttoned over a t-shirt? (I'd post a pic but I don't know how.)

Is this a thing now? Either a cadet grossly out of uniform or a someone who isn't a cadet found it & thought it'd be cool to wear, neither are cool. Someone help me out here.
aggiejim70
AG
tgray99 said:

Anyone see the pictures of the guy at the Popup event today wearing the Cadet shirt unbuttoned over a t-shirt? (I'd post a pic but I don't know how.)

Is this a thing now? Either a cadet grossly out of uniform or a someone who isn't a cadet found it & thought it'd be cool to wear, neither are cool. Someone help me out here.
I can remember a time at Texas A&M when that wouldn't be tolerated. I'm thinking of a retired gentleman, living in Switzerland, who, back in the day would have had a very adverse reaction to that.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CanyonAg77
AG
What's a popup event?
bigtruckguy3500
Not sure when it started but during midnight yells when I was there, some 10ish years ago now, certain cadets would wear old B's tops that were passdowns. Typically had old patches/rank on them, and typically over their outfit t-shirt or a white undershirt.
JABQ04
AG
Am I the only one who has no idea what the OP is talking about? I checked the couple of CoC FB pages I follow for reference and didn't see anything.

ABATTBQ87
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Not sure when it started but during midnight yells when I was there, some 10ish years ago now, certain cadets would wear old B's tops that were passdowns. Typically had old patches/rank on them, and typically over their outfit t-shirt or a white undershirt.

Back in the eighties we were also wearing passed down khaki shirts with stripes on the sleeves and they were fitted so not a big deal if it is just for a good bull events like yell practice
jock15
AG
For those confused on the pop up event. It was in reference to Johnny Manziel having a "pop up" tent sale over by the Texags building of his merchandise. So there was a picture of someone there with an unbuttoned B top
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks. Can you link the photo?

And I'm like the others. In my day, no one would wear a current issue B uniform top casually like that. However, there were lots of Old Army AMC type stuff that would surface at Midnight Yell. Or on our dates.
jock15
AG
I'm not sure how to link pictures off my phone. But if you go to the football board there is a stickied thread about the event and some of the early pictures so a student (looks to be non-reg by the hair) wearing an unbuttoned alpha top
CanyonAg77
AG

Yeah, looks like an anal orifice non ref wearing dads old shirt. Or maybe he dropped out of the Corps and kept it. We had a drop out who would wear his campaign hat around campus with his non reg clothes. First Sargent suggested we liberate it, we did.
JABQ04
AG
Hipster?
Scruffy
AG
JABQ04 said:

Hipster?

Probably.

Y'all care/whine about the dumbest things sometimes.
bigtruckguy3500
Hah. That pick just reminded me of this girl in high school who would wear her brother's old boy/cub scout uniform. Perhaps a similar fashion statement? Although that top looks really new and very crisp, like it has barely been worn. Also a few sizes too large for that person. Most of the surplus uniforms in the area are old MPW throw aways, keeping a new uniform incurs a charge from the MPW.

Don't know. New army is weird.
JR69
AG
That shirt is what we used to call western serge or cowboy serge, privately purchased from Zubick's Tailor at North Gate. White belt privilege. Do they issue that now?
CanyonAg77
AG
JR69 said:

That shirt is what we used to call western serge or cowboy serge, privately purchased from Zubick's Tailor at North Gate. White belt privilege. Do they issue that now?
Yep, same for all classes. Serge was still a Jr. privilege in my day, hence the term, sergebutt, I suppose.

Probably makes a lot more sense from a $$$ standpoint to have them standardized. When I was there, lots of us would buy extra uniform items like shirts. Seems like that practice died out by the time my son, 2009, came along.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Yeah, they got rid of the class distinction in the shirt department probably 15-20 years ago. They did away with the flat looking fish shirts and just issued everybody the upperclassmen "serge" shirts.

Personally, even though the fish shirts looked terrible compared to the "serge" shirts, I liked the class distinction.

As far as the OP's question, from the picture Canyon posted, that's obviously a non-reg. Look at the sideburns for starters. Why he thinks it's cool to wear a long-sleeve D&C fighter shirt, I have no idea.

Talking about non-regs wearing Corps uniforms reminded me of one time my Junior year, it rained and this guy in my Electrical Engineering class shows up in Zachary wearing black speedlace combat boots. I just smarted off, and said, hey, I like your boots. He then proceeds to tell me about how he was in the Corps for a week his fish year and when he punched out he kept the boots. They were useful for when it rains and for Bonfire.

And for the term "pop-up", they use that a lot here in Sydney for stores that are temporary. In some cases, they might last only one day. One of the most famous ones recently was a one-day pop-up In'N'Out Hamburger store.
champagnepapi
And the reason he's wearing it is because the temperature dropped like 30 degrees while people were in line. So a local dry cleaner owner came and brought a bunch of jackets that had never been picked up for people standing outside.

Just some ol fashioned good bull

Stolen from the Zoo.
JR69
AG
Thanks - I was curious as I know a lot has changed since 1969. Back then there were pants cut to match as well - scalloped flaps on the back pockets and a hi-rise in the back waist. By the time I was a sergebutt I had four sets and preferred them for daily wear, with one set reserved for parades, inspections, etc.

And yes, that's where the term "sergebutt" came from - it predates my time.
tgray99
AG
champagnepapi said:

And the reason he's wearing it is because the temperature dropped like 30 degrees while people were in line. So a local dry cleaner owner came and brought a bunch of jackets that had never been picked up for people standing outside.

Stolen from the Zoo.

Good bull for the shop owner. Not so much for the ****** wearing it.
Wildman15
AG
champagnepapi said:

Stolen from the Zoo.
What cadet forgets to pick up their dry cleaning?! The Military Depot charges you out the a$$ for missing uniform items.

Edit: it's also not completely impossible that this kid actually owns the shirt. There's a few military depots around College Station that occasionally have a few cadet uniforms for sale.
Complaint Investigator
AG
You guys gripe about people who buy stuff from military surplus stores? I use my old ACU pants that I wore in basic for working on my trucks since I wear other uniforms to fly. Am I an anal orifice wearing poser now?

This forum is getting ridiculous with the stolen valor BS and butthurt. Holy cow people.
bigtruckguy3500
Complaint Investigator said:

You guys gripe about people who buy stuff from military surplus stores? I use my old ACU pants that I wore in basic for working on my trucks since I wear other uniforms to fly. Am I an anal orifice wearing poser now?

This forum is getting ridiculous with the stolen valor BS and butthurt. Holy cow people.
Do you wear your ACUs in public? Or just at home when working on your trucks?
Wildman15
AG

username definitely checks out
CanyonAg77
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Do you wear your ACUs in public? Or just at home when working on your trucks?
With patches?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.