Coin flip at the SB today is being done by the last Iwo Jima MOH winner

1,674 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GAC06
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pretty cool.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5351055/Iwo-Jima-veteran-flip-coin-Super-Bowl.html
bigtruckguy3500
in before someone corrects your wordage.
CanyonAg77
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

in before someone corrects your wordage.

I saw that, too, but I didn't want to be the jerk that mentioned it. Thanks for taking the hit.
bigtruckguy3500
Yeah, I don't get why some people get so upset over it. 99% of the time someone is trying to show respect or say something positive about the recipient and just likely unknowingly chose the wrong word.
CanyonAg77
AG
Same way, that's why I said nothing to the OP. But after your post, I couldn't help poking a little fun.

OP, if you're still watching and don't understand, many people get very p!ssy if you refer to a medal for valor as being "won". They like to grump that it's not a competition. They prefer "recipient" to "winner".

Personally, I'm a little confused on all the terminology. Often you see references to a medal being "awarded", which sounds sort of like "winning" it.

And people also get grumpy when it's called the Congressional Medal of Honor, as opposed to simply saying "Medal of Honor".

Thanks for posting, OP.

I looked up the ceremony where Truman presented the MOH to Williams and 13 others.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=12321

Among the others at the same ceremony

Sgt. William G Harrell, Texas A&M '43

Greg "Pappy" Boyington

Williams

CanyonAg77
AG
THIS IS ONE of the pleasant duties of the President of the United States. These are the young men who represent us in our fighting forces.

They said we were soft, that we would not fight, that we could not win. We are not a warlike nation. We do not go to war for gain or for territory; we go to war for principles, and we produce young men like these. I think I told every one of them that I would rather have that medal, the Congressional Medal of Honor, than to be President of the United States.

We fought a good fight. We've won two great victories. We're facing another fight, and we must win the victory in that. That is a fight for a peaceful world, a fight so we won't have to do this again, so we won't have to maim the flower of our young men, and bury them. Now let us go forward and win that fight, as we have won these other two victories, and this war will not have been in vain.

Thank you.

Note: The President presented the medals in a ceremony held at 10:30 a.m. on the South Lawn at the White House. The citations were read by Vice Adm. L. E. Denfeld.
A list of the recipients, in order of presentation, follows: Lt. Col. Gregory Boyington, USMCR; Lt. Comdr. George L. Street, USN; Maj. Louis H. Wilson, USMC; Capt. Joseph J. McCarthy, USMCR; 2nd Lt. Arthur J. Jackson, USMC; Sgt. William G. Harorell, USMCR; Pharmacist's Mate George E. Wahlen, USNR; Cpl. Richard E. Bush, USMCR; Cpl. Douglas T. Jacobson, USMCR; Cpl. Hershel W. Williams, USMCR; Hospital Apprentice First Class Robert Eugene Bush, USNR; Pfc. Jacklyn H. Lucas, USMCR; Pvt. Franklin E. Sigler, USMCR; and Pvt. Wilson D. Watson, USMCR.

oragator
Lesson learned, come proper on the military board.
GAC06
AG
Sad story about William Harrell
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.