A Soldier's Urban Warfare Wishlist

1,517 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Eliminatus
jupiter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://mwi.usma.edu/soldiers-urban-warfare-christmas-wish-list/?utm_content=tp-facebook&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Quote:

1. Industrial foam thrower
2. Speaker drones

3. Keys to a mining robot

Something I regret from my urban combat experience is not considering going through buildings rather than exposing myself and my troops approaching by street or alleys. The practice of boring holes, commonly referred to as "mouse holing" has appeared in almost every major urban battle I have studied. In Nablus in 2002 , the Israel Defense Forces planned a majority of their movement through holes in walls, ceilings, and courtyards. I would want a mining robot that could drill or punch holes in walls in advance of my movements. The robot would have the software, data, and sensing capability to know where to go through walls most easily and with the least amount of damage.

4. Rapid barrier emplacement wheels

5. Grenade launcherdeployed curtains
When soldiers stand on the street in urban operations they can be seen or shot at from great distances. A curtain between two buildings would help prevent them from being seen. Local civilians in Aleppo used this technique by hanging giant curtains across buildings so they could walk from building to building without being targeted by snipers. In the past, I've written about the possibility of doing this using an anchoring system that is shot out of a grenade launcher, designed by West Point cadets in 2012, and some durable curtains.

6. Tear gas

7. Ballistic shield
Soldiers call the doorway of a new building or room the "fatal funnel." It is a single point that the enemy can shoot at and know they can hit someone. Similarly vulnerable are rooftops, where soldiers can be easily targeted by sniper fire. Soldiers are sometimes required to use the low walls found on roofs to pop up to return fire or look out only a few seconds. Some police conducting urban raids in the United States use ballistic shields that can stop 7.62-caliber bullets (the bullet of choice of non-state actors around the world wielding AK-47s). Soldiers will still have to pass through doors and position themselves on rooftops, and I want a shield to protect them.

8. Car battery recharging cable
The next revolution in military affairs will be in energy, not weapons. The biggest resupply needs of soldiers in the high pace of urban battle include water, ammo, and food, but also, critically, batteries. Abandoned cars often litter urban battlefields. I would love to have a cable that I could hook to a car battery and charge any system I carry into combat.

JABQ04
AG
JABQ04
AG
jupiter said:

https://mwi.usma.edu/soldiers-urban-warfare-christmas-wish-list/?utm_content=tp-facebook&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Quote:

1. Industrial foam thrower
2. Speaker drones

3. Keys to a mining robot

Something I regret from my urban combat experience is not considering going through buildings rather than exposing myself and my troops approaching by street or alleys. The practice of boring holes, commonly referred to as "mouse holing" has appeared in almost every major urban battle I have studied. In Nablus in 2002 , the Israel Defense Forces planned a majority of their movement through holes in walls, ceilings, and courtyards. I would want a mining robot that could drill or punch holes in walls in advance of my movements. The robot would have the software, data, and sensing capability to know where to go through walls most easily and with the least amount of damage.

4. Rapid barrier emplacement wheels

5. Grenade launcherdeployed curtains
When soldiers stand on the street in urban operations they can be seen or shot at from great distances. A curtain between two buildings would help prevent them from being seen. Local civilians in Aleppo used this technique by hanging giant curtains across buildings so they could walk from building to building without being targeted by snipers. In the past, I've written about the possibility of doing this using an anchoring system that is shot out of a grenade launcher, designed by West Point cadets in 2012, and some durable curtains.

6. Tear gas

7. Ballistic shield
Soldiers call the doorway of a new building or room the "fatal funnel." It is a single point that the enemy can shoot at and know they can hit someone. Similarly vulnerable are rooftops, where soldiers can be easily targeted by sniper fire. Soldiers are sometimes required to use the low walls found on roofs to pop up to return fire or look out only a few seconds. Some police conducting urban raids in the United States use ballistic shields that can stop 7.62-caliber bullets (the bullet of choice of non-state actors around the world wielding AK-47s). Soldiers will still have to pass through doors and position themselves on rooftops, and I want a shield to protect them.

8. Car battery recharging cable
The next revolution in military affairs will be in energy, not weapons. The biggest resupply needs of soldiers in the high pace of urban battle include water, ammo, and food, but also, critically, batteries. Abandoned cars often litter urban battlefields. I would love to have a cable that I could hook to a car battery and charge any system I carry into combat.

Just my .02 on these "requests"

The mining robot would be cool, but the joes will **** it up. A well place demo charge or some other means to breech a flimsy wall would be just as effective with out hauling around a big ass robot.

The bed sheet blocking the view of enemy is clever and all but what does it do that smoke can't? Everybody can carry a smoke or two instead of lugging around a mortar type weapon. Plus without knowing exactly how a roof is shaped or any other structural details a grappling hook may or
May not work. Smoke will. I'd rather invent a longer billowing smoke or if you have to have a machine some type of special FX fog machine thing.

A ballistic shield would be cool, but who's carrying it? You're already pushing between 50-100 lbs of extra weight and now a big ass shield strapped on someone's back? That's fine for SWAT as they roll right up to a target. Not fine if your humping that thing through multiple days of intense urban combat. Thanks but no thanks. Appreciate the thought, but I was honestly more afraid of The house I was going in blowing up than being shot. A shield isn't going to stop that.

The abandoned cars never bother me. I always liked having cover as I moved through and urban environment. How much time and how many dudes will you lose driving cars away from an area.

I would rather them come up with some sort of spike or other way to secure a man hole. One spike and a couple hits with a sledge and it's effecrively sealed shut. Every unit should have a sledge in their breaching kit, if not the back of the axe will do.

A bull horn or speakers on a vehicle will take care of th tactical call out. A drone seems like a waste when a coupe D cell batteries can take care of it.

I missed the stage in Iraq where they put up
All the jersey barriers, but I'd still prefer a crane as opposed to manhandling them into position. The crane can have an armored cab. Dudes pushing the barrier a la Moses and the Pyramids style won't be in an armored vehicle.

My earlier picture didn't post but I like the old FM 7-8 where it says that "The preferred method of entering a building is to use a tank main gun round; direct-fire artillery round; or TOW, Dragon, or Hellfire missile to clear the first room.".

After rereading the author wish list I don't see how practical most of these can be. As a former 13B who spent a year in Iraq doing this around Bub al Sham (Taji) and Diyala province during the surge I prefered to be light and fast. Not lugging around tons of extra gear.

Eliminatus
AG
I'd trade all of that for no ROEs. Hands down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.