Corps Brass 2021

9,770 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sharpdressedman
INOX
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Congratulations to all the fish who earned their Corps Brass and Lyre today. Something like 950 started out and only 750 made it till the end.
JABQ04
AG
INOX said:

Congratulations to all the fish who earned their Corps Brass and Lyre today. Something like 950 started out and only 750 made it till the end.

So 200 fish didn't earn their brass today? Or 200 fish have quit since FOW.
INOX
Over the last 3 months 200 didn't make due to various reasons, quit, medical, etc.
ABATTBQ87
AG
BQ fish should earn their lyre s by marching perfect drills, not playing corps brass games
INOX
If you want to complain about that then go do it on another thread.
Federale01
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

BQ fish should earn their lyre s by marching perfect drills, not playing corps brass games
Can I ask, is there really ever a perfect drill? Did fish in the band get their lyre around the same time every year or was there really some review committee that used to watch the drills to make sure no fish made a mistake? It just sounds like a BS thing upper classmen say to fish to make them feel good at the end of the marching season and to make them feel like they "earned it."

We used to say the same thing to our fish. You won't get your corps brass until everything is perfect, campos, uniforms, etc. But, in actuality, they usually got the brass around the same time every year.
130Ag82
AG
ABATTBQ87
AG
Federale01 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Can I ask, is there really ever a perfect drill? Did fish in the band get their lyre around the same time every year or was there really some review committee that used to watch the drills to make sure no fish made a mistake? It just sounds like a BS thing upper classmen say to fish to make them feel good at the end of the marching season and to make them feel like they "earned it."

We used to say the same thing to our fish. You won't get your corps brass until everything is perfect, campos, uniforms, etc. But, in actuality, they usually got the brass around the same time every year.

COL Haney and Capt. Brewer would let is know their thoughts during the 3rd quarter, and it was normally the first or 2nd game of the season
TXAggie03
AG
Outfit brass was the real accomplishment.
mccjames
AG
So as an old ct, does the whole corps get their brass at the same time?
Ark03
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Federale01 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

COL Haney and Capt. Brewer would let is know their thoughts during the 3rd quarter, and it was normally the first or 2nd game of the season
In 1999 Col Toler and Lt Col Brewer "let us know their thoughts" after every drill, but in actuality it was around Thanksgiving every year that fish would magically march that "perfect drill."
TXAggieMom11
mccjames said:

Yes, Brass Culmination for the last two years has been on the Wednesday morning prior to Thanksgiving. All outfits form up on Simpson for brass pinning after PT.
It seems more impersonal to me compared to the way my older son (Van Alstyne years) received his.
JR69
AG
mccjames said:

As an even older ct, when did this "earn their brass" tradition start?
Rabid Cougar
AG
JR69 said:

mccjames said:

'86 in my four it was up to each outfit to decide when you received your brass. Some units had their brass before us and some got them afterwards. For me and my fish buddies it was sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas and involved a hellasious extended crap out run that went out the pig farm road and hit every grode hole that the upper classmen could find. Ended up on the wall when the Zips pinned our brass on the collars of our green, highly soiled utilities and dropped handles with us after a class set.

We then showered and went out and ate a steak afterwards with my fish buddies.
aggiejim70
AG
What is this crap out you speak of? Certainly, you could not be hazed, as hazing was eliminated in the Corps of Cadets in 1917. If you don't believe me, look it up, it says so right there in the yearbook.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Rabid Cougar
AG
aggiejim70 said:

What is this crap out you speak of? Certainly, you could not be hazed, as hazing was eliminated in the Corps of Cadets in 1917. If you don't believe me, look it up, it says so right there in the yearbook.
Was never hazed. Was put through a continuous series of physical and mental toughness development exercises over a period of time in different aspects of natural habitat.
adamsbq06
AG
Zips dropping handles in the fall?
andy@andrewadamsav.com
74OA
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

Zips dropping handles in the fall?
Upperclassmen dropping handles with fish before close to graduation day makes me wonder what sort of class discipline exists today. Why would a zip want to drop handles with a fish so early? Same with fish having appliances in their holes. Why not make them pissheads right off the bat and just abandon the principle of cadets spending their first year learning how to follow before progressively earning class privileges and learning how to lead during the next three years?
adamsbq06
AG
I agree we didn't start getting privileges until after MTTB.
andy@andrewadamsav.com
Warrior 66
And how about those lava lamps that fish are issued for their holes now? And what about the new uniform for the Corps that includes khaki shorts, knee high black boot socks, and whatever football jersey the team is wearing that week? And how about Duncan now serving a completely organic, vegan and gluten free menu?? No more "bullneck" in Duncan anymore!!

Where in ANY of this thread did anyone say that Zips were dropping handles with fish? (although FWIW, the first upperclassman to drop handles with me when I was a fish was Chuck Hinton, Senior Yell Leader my fish year. He dropped handles with me the first week of school). And where was it ever mentioned in this thread that fish have appliances??

Relax, lighten up, and enjoy the holidays. There is absolutely NO need to go "high and right" over something that is a nonsense issue mentioned on TexAgs about the Corps (although this IS TexAgs...). This thread HAS made me laugh, though....

Best wishes to you all for a Merry Christmas! And Beat the Hell Outta Wake Forest!
JABQ04
AG
Because we need something to b***** about sir!
Warrior 66
My Bad! Carry On!!
74OA
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

JR69 said:

mccjames said:

'86 in my four it was up to each outfit to decide when you received your brass. Some units had their brass before us and some got them afterwards. For me and my fish buddies it was sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas and involved a hellasious extended crap out run that went out the pig farm road and hit every grode hole that the upper classmen could find. Ended up on the wall when the Zips pinned our brass on the collars of our green, highly soiled utilities and dropped handles with us after a class set.

We then showered and went out and ate a steak afterwards with my fish buddies.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Hell take breath! it was a long time ago and many "sessions " took place. So much hyperventilating over memories.
Warrior 66
Well said, Rabid Cougar! Life's too short to get overly excited about something that took place over 30 years ago!

Thanks for the perspective!

Best wishes to all for a Merry Christmas! God Bless our Corps!

And Beat the HELL Outta Wake Forest!
ABATTBQ87
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Hell take breath! it was a long time ago and many "sessions " took place. So much hyperventilating over memories.

Maybe one or two concussions from busting the heads of T sips on Thanksgiving night?
sharpdressedman
I have an uncle who graduated in the '60s, and says the corps brass was worn by fish from day 1; no "earning" required. Can anyone confirm or refute?
JR69
AG
sharpdressedman said:

I have an uncle who graduated in the '60s, and says the corps brass was worn by fish from day 1; no "earning" required. Can anyone confirm or refute?
I can and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Consider it confirmed - that's why I asked earlier when did this "tradition" start.
OldArmy71
AG
Confirmed.
sharpdressedman
Thanks to 69 and 71 for confirmation. Happy New Year!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.