On the fence about pursuing an Air Force contract..

2,756 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Federale01
Aggie118
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lately people have been encouraging me to take a good look at seeking a potential Air Force contract. While I've never really put much thought into it, I'm at a place where I can't really think of reasons not to so I thought I'd see what you all thought. I'm a sophomore in the Corps, Business major with no idea what I want to do career wise. I don't know a whole lot about serving in the military (all I've experienced is what I've seen and heard in the Corps). My biggest fear is that it would be 4 more years (I would only plan on doing 4 years) of the Corps, and that it would negatively affect my potential civilian career (because of the slow start) when I got out. So what I'm asking is, what was your experience like? Were you a "military type" all of your life? What are the benefits of this (besides obviously getting to serve my country!). Thanks for any info and Gigem!
TangoMike
There are very few correlations between active duty and the Corps

Your resume will actually have quantitative experiences (not just the nebulous "leadership", but systems management, budget management, subordinate/supervisor type HR functions)

Your pay over those four years will almost definitely be higher than your BS Mgmt peers unless you somehow magically could make partner at McKinsey in 4 years without an MBA
CharlieBrown17
AG
Talk to Maj Collins on the Air Force deck of the trigon about being able to apply skills from the military to the civilian world. He's been enlisted, active, reserve and worked with contractors during his time. He'll be able to give you lots of insight into what to expect to gain from spending time in.

Also it's a great time to get in if you want to fly but that's a 10-year commitment.
Animal
AG
I will tell you the same thing I told my own son who is a Sophomore in the Corps. I graduated in "92 and was D&C. Not pursuing a contract is my single biggest regret in my professional life. I had a lot of the same concerns as you and I can tell you that 4 years is not even a blip on the radar screen of your professional life. When you compare it to the exposure/experiences you would get in the military it is not even close. Again, no different than what I have said to my own son: "Do It!"
Aggie118
AG
Thank you all for your advice, insight, and words of wisdom. That is definitely something that sticks with me, I don't want to regret not serving. What are some of the more interesting jobs in the Air Force (besides pilot) that are more hands on, rather than doing paper work 24-7. Security forces or QRF seemed interesting.
CharlieBrown17
AG
QRF isn't an AFSC.

Security forces is. Lt Col Cohn was SF and can provide more there.

If you're in excellent shape there's the special tactics officer, combat rescue officer or air liason officer path but that's a really demanding, hard to get into field.

If you want to have lots of leadership immediately aircraft maintenance would be something else to talk about it.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I clicked on this thread because in a small font it looked like your username was Aggie11B and I was going to say that an Infantryman going USAF does not check out.
AGhistorian
I don't think the problem is as binary as you might think. Consider going Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard. If you have goals you want to pursue in the civilian world and are also interested in doing the military you can do both.

I would also caution you against falling into the trap of thinking "well I'm only going to do four years." I can't tell you how many people I've heard say that who are now in it for the long haul. Likewise, there are a lot of folks in ROTC who think they will do 20 years and get out after four. It doesn't matter if you do 4 years or 20 years, either way you will learn a ton and gain immense life experience.
BQ78
AG
I started my civilian career six years after my contemporaries because I flew for the Air Force. Within nine years of graduation (6 military, 3 civilian) I had moved past all of them in my career and salary and I was their manager .
NormanAg
AG
Quote:

My biggest fear is that it would be 4 more years (I would only plan on doing 4 years) of the Corps, and that it would negatively affect my potential civilian career (because of the slow start) when I got out. So what I'm asking is, what was your experience like? Were you a "military type" all of your life? What are the benefits of this (besides obviously getting to serve my country!).
Your "fear" is 100% wrong. Having four years as an AF officer is a HUGE benefit when looking for a job. The list of "benis" is very long. You won't be "negatively affected" - you will be POSTIVELY affected - and potential employers will immediately see that.

The military, especially as an officer, teaches one to be disciplined, organized, responsible, able to analyze situations and make correct decisions, able to get along with others (both above you and below you in the pecking order), mission oriented, able to communicate both orally and in writing, and a whole lot more.

To be honest, I am somewhat surprised by your questions. There was a time, not too long in the past, when the benefits I pointed out above were pretty much widely known and accepted as a self evident fact.

I was never in the corps, but I can assure you it would not be "4 more years of the corps".

Here's my advice: If you REALLY have "fears" about accepting a contract, you shouldn't do it. You won't like the military - and more importantly - the military won't like you.

I grew up as an AF brat - my dad served for 26 years, including 3 years of duty during WWII. I served 21 years active duty AF.
TangoMike
NormanAg said:

Quote:

My biggest fear is that it would be 4 more years (I would only plan on doing 4 years) of the Corps, and that it would negatively affect my potential civilian career (because of the slow start) when I got out. So what I'm asking is, what was your experience like? Were you a "military type" all of your life? What are the benefits of this (besides obviously getting to serve my country!).

Here's my advice: If you REALLY have "fears" about accepting a contract, you shouldn't do it. You won't like the military - and more importantly - the military won't like you.

Ignore this ***** canoe, he's regularly on here playing the hard-o
Hey Nav
AG
I was a business major, too (finance) , Class of '80, and was on active duty in the Air Force 17 days after graduation. My education at A&M prepared me well, I feel.

No, the Air Force is nothing like being a college student in the Corps.

I'd recommend you research all the missions of the AF and see what interests you. Business types can get incredibly challenging assignments in things like acquisition programs - the AF spends lots of money on highly sophisticated things like fighters and bombers and nuclear weapons. The government acquisition process is a mind boggling maze and people with that experience are very valuable in the business world. Supply chain types are responsible for, you know, gazillions of things that keeps the force flying. You're not going to behind your civilian counterparts.

It doesn't matter what your major was in a lot of the operational billets. I've seen outstanding aviators that were aerospace engineering majors and I've seen art majors that were bad ass instruments of death. Leaders come from all types of backgrounds.

You will have the opportunity to be among some of America's finest. You will have opportunities to excel in so many ways - if that's what you want. The ceiling is high and you can can always move on after your initial commitment.

I saw so many corners of the world and experienced so many things that I'd never have dreamed of when I was a college student. I served with some of the finest people you'd ever hope to be around (and of course, some lunkheads).

You touched on one thing I didn't want to forget - yes, every single person in the AF is serving the USA. Keep that in mind as you consider your options. Best wishes.

Aim High. Go Air Force (or Army, Navy, Marines, & Coast Guard)
rwtxag83
AG
BQ78 said:

I started my civilian career six years after my contemporaries because I flew for the Air Force. Within nine years of graduation (6 military, 3 civilian) I had moved past all of them in my career and salary and I was their manager .
You will here this scenario FAR MORE OFTEN than the reverse.

Any professional opportunity will still be there when you finish your service, but you can't say that about the military opportunity. Four years as an officer gives you real world management and leadership experience, and makes you FAR MORE marketable, hirable, and promotable.

The travel you'll do, friends you'll have, and experiences you'll get are not available anywhere in the civilian world. Your perspective and world view will also change in a very positive way.

You'd have to look for a very long time to find people who went this route and regret it, but you can easily find thousands who didn't do it, but now look back and wish they had.

You shouldn't even think twice about this. I would do it in a heartbeat.
Greater love hath no man than this....
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
My 2 cents as an Occifer in the Army....

If you don't like the military/corps experience it's no big deal. But, you will have to embrace your role as a leader. Sometimes the best thing to do is fake it until you make it. YOU WILL BE BETTER FOR IT. But you can't half ass it.
You will learn valuable skills aside from whatever specialty you go into: leadership in tough situations, management of resources, creative thinking unlike anything you've done in your life as yet, and the list will go on. You'll realize it eventually.
If you're serious about being a civilian, the military experience will prepare you more than any internship ever could.
I've been active, reserve, and now national guard. My military training is secondary but the leadership and problem solving skills make my civilian day to day a no brainer.
DO IT!!
74OA
AG
If you're ambivalent about the Air Force, then don't bother. There's usually a long waiting list of candidates who do know what they want.... <shrug>
Fly Army 97
Everyone has their own opinion. You could call me on the fence going in...20 years later, I'm nowhere near wanting to retire. So if you are willing to sign your name for a few years, I commend you. This isn't the military entered in the late 90s, nor is it the same one from 10 years ago.

If you are worried about "being behind your peers"... don't especially if you go to grad school. Most of my officers who get out get into pretty reputable MBA, doctorate, or other post graduate program. Your resume will look good unless you screw it up.

Diyala Nick
AG
I'm not sure that career advancement post military is a good reason to pursue a commission, because for those that don't like it, military life is rather difficult.

That said, if serving has a certain appeal to you, it will absolutely accentuate your strengths and make you far more effective as a leader in the civilian world.

My college friends that have only been civilians have not enjoyed near the success in the business world as the guys I went through OCS and my officer basic course with. It is not just pedigree and resume. As a junior officer, the military teaches you to take responsibility and take risks - if you do those two things in the private sector you will find it difficult not to succeed.

Do it.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Take it from a D&C that lives in both worlds, do it in a heart beat and don't look back. I wouldn't limit yourself to do just "four". Lots of my Corps buddies have done their 20+ ( all Lt. Colonels, Colonels, Commanders, Captains, and one Admiral) and are infinity better off for doing so. And when they retired they were hired as CEO, managing partner, program manager (as in ship builder) type jobs or own their own businesses (Chic-fil-A in Round Rock and Austin). The Admiral is the Commandant of the Naval District of Washington. No telling what type of civilian job he will have when he retires.
Federale01
AG
I was offered a 3 year army scholarship my sophmore year. I never thought about serving prior to that. My 4 years in the army were the most demanding in my life. I both love and hate that I chose to do it.

But, it changed my life forever, especially deploying to Iraq. I realized that I did not want to be career military very quickly, but I realized I didn't want to do what I thought I did for a civilian career either. I ended up with a career that I never would have had without the Army. In that regard, I feel like my life would have been less meaningful without my military service. Of course I realize that I have no idea where I would be now had I taken a different path. But on balance, I'm glad I did it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.