help with military uniform

1,567 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BCSWguru
BCSWguru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are there any identifying patches/emblems/insignia/etc on this uniform? I've recent come across some old photos and have a pretty good idea of who this guy is, however I'd like to be more certain. I know where the person is from and where they enlisted. Would one be able to tell from the marks on the uniform? This photo was taken most likely in the WWII era. Thanks in advance...

clarythedrill
LSCSN said:

Are there any identifying patches/emblems/insignia/etc on this uniform? I've recent come across some old photos and have a pretty good idea of who this guy is, however I'd like to be more certain. I know where the person is from and where they enlisted. Would one be able to tell from the marks on the uniform? This photo was taken most likely in the WWII era. Thanks in advance...

Well, he is a Technical Corporal (E4) with a Combat Infantryman's Badge. His brass is hard to make out, but does not look like Infantry brass, and with the Technical rank tells me he may have changed MOS's sometime during the war. Also, he has three Overseas Service bars, AKA combat stripes, so he spent at least 18 months in a combat zone. The patch he is wearing is really hard to make out, but sort of looks like the Finance insignia, which again would lend to him changing MOS's at some point. I will have to look up some WWII unit insignia to see if there is another patch that resembles the Finance Corp insignia.

Edit: That patch look an awful lot like the 96th Infantry Division patch, but that patch is worn with the point facing up and down, not left and right.

Edit 2: It is a 96th Infantry Division patch. That unit served in the Pacific Theatre during WWII. One photo I came across called it an Amphibious Division.
JABQ04
AG
It's does look like 96th infantry division. And granted the photo is BW the lighter color makes it look like he has been awarded an Army Good Conduct Medal, American Defense Medal, Asiatic/Pacific Campaign Medal and a National Defensw Medal. The last award I can't even try to guess at.

His branch insignia is hard to make out, but he was infantry at one point.

The 96th ID did see service against the Japanese in the Pacific

*last Medal may be the Philippine Liberation Medal.
BCSWguru
this board never disappoints. thank you!

from his obituary, in case you are curious:

"They attended his 96th Infantry Division 381st Co E Army Reunion regularly, wherever it was--all over the United States.

He was a member of the Masonic Lodge #120 where he was a Past Master in 1959 and a member for over 50 years. He was also a member of Boumi Temple, Baltimore Forest, Glearer Chapter #49 Club Scout Master, and Scottish Rite. Fred was a faithful member of the Pasadena Methodist Church for over 50 years. "
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.