General Joe Ramirez

2,652 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
DimeBox17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have zero military background but I just listened to this guy speak to my class for the last hour. This guy is a fantastic speaker and has excellent knowledge and experience of leadership.

Awesome representative of Texas A&M University.
INOX
I have 25 years military and agree 100%
CanyonAg77
AG
Joe was 2 years behind me in the Band. Liked him then, like him now. Lots of detractors out there, but they have apparently forgotten General VanA, Any Commandant is going to have admirers and enemies.

He comes from a very different background than most of us Old Ags, but I think it gives him a good perspective on things. The fact that he wanted to come to A&M, and had to fight his Hispanic high school counselor to get here, speaks volumes.

For those who haven't heard the story, the counselor told him that Hispanics don't go to A&M. Idiots like that make my blood boil. They decide that A&M is racist, and do all they can to fulfill their own prophecy.
TangoMike
I did CTLT as a cadet in his brigade when he was brigade commander. He invited me to the brigade hail and farewell where he gave me the 1st Cav DIVARTY welcome beer stein. He was a friend of my mentor, the late General Bob Cone, who was a truly visionary leader and spoke only in superlatives when describing BG Ramirez.

I was in the Corps while MG Hopgood and LTG Van Alstyne were the commandants, and from afar I am convinced that everything BG Ramirez does better positions the Corps for long term viability and success than either of his predecessors.
inozips
AG
Times they be a changing...I knew him as "Taco" in in 1975 forget what he called me but none of us were offended.

Good Man for the job.
CanyonAg77
AG
inozips said:

Times they be a changing...I knew him as "Taco" in in 1975 forget what he called me but none of us were offended.

Good Man for the job.
I suspect that he was quadded on Texas Independence Day, as were all the Hispanic BQs I knew.
JR69
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Joe was 2 years behind me in the Band. Liked him then, like him now. Lots of detractors out there, but they have apparently forgotten General VanA, Any Commandant is going to have admirers and enemies.

He comes from a very different background than most of us Old Ags, but I think it gives him a good perspective on things. The fact that he wanted to come to A&M, and had to fight his Hispanic high school counselor to get here, speaks volumes.

For those who haven't heard the story, the counselor told him that Hispanics don't go to A&M. Idiots like that make my blood boil. They decide that A&M is racist, and do all they can to fulfill their own prophecy.
Corps Sgt Major my Sergebutt year was Danny Ruiz.
Corps Commander my Zip year was Hector Gutierrez
That was in the late '60s - if my Aggielands were not packed away, I'd dig one out and spend the time counting.
ABATTBQ87
AG
1969 Aggieland
HollywoodBQ
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

When I was working in Austin, one of my colleagues was a smart Black dude from Jasper, TX who had gone to Prairie View A&M in the early 90s. I asked him if he had thought about going to Texas A&M. He said that he didn't really consider A&M because he heard it had a lot of racism. He followed that up with the fact that he shouldn't have listened to the people who told him Texas A&M was racist and that he regretted not attending Texas A&M because he's sure he would have gotten a better education there. But, he summed it up by saying that when you're a kid coming up, you don't know what reality is and all you have to go on is the perception.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.