Legacy Senior Boots Restoration

3,170 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Wildman15
Samueltx4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Dad was in the Corps of Cadets in 1985, I am in the corps right now. Assuming I make it that far how should I go about restoring my Dad's old Senior boots that haven't been touched in 35 years.
JR69
AG
What's wrong with them that they need restoration? I still have mine and they are as good as they were the last time I wore them - Final Review 1969. However, if I was in the same situation, I'd take them to Holick's unless it's something that could be handled by some saddle soap, mink oil, and polish.
bigtruckguy3500
A buddy of mine wore his dad's boots. It required a little work to get the size adjusted, ad Hollicks helped with that. If the size is ok, then I'd just ask someone familiar with restoring dried up leather. I'm assuming that's what you mean by "restore." I'd bet there are some online forums you could search through that discuss different leather care products and which are better quality than others. Or just go to Hollicks and ask him for some products/advice.
86sq6
I know what Samueltx4's dilemma is - Class of 85 couldn't shine boots and he's looking at two vertical pieces of leather with no shine whatsoever......

Seriously, go to Holick's. My son was prepared to reuse mine, but he's got narrow feet, and it would've been cost prohibitive to try to restore/reuse.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Samueltx4 said:

My Dad was in the Corps of Cadets in 1985, I am in the corps right now. Assuming I make it that far how should I go about restoring my Dad's old Senior boots that haven't been touched in 35 years.
your dad's boots are probably shinier than any boots on campus right now.

C.A. Zoes Mfg Co produced the Venetian boot creme that we used; order the neutral boot creme and apply to the boots, including the barrel, and the boots will glow.

hillcountryag86
AG
86sq6 said:

I know what Samueltx4's dilemma is - Class of 85 couldn't shine boots and he's looking at two vertical pieces of leather with no shine whatsoever......

Seriously, go to Holick's. My son was prepared to reuse mine, but he's got narrow feet, and it would've been cost prohibitive to try to restore/reuse.
bigtruckguy3500
ABATTBQ87 said:

Samueltx4 said:

your dad's boots are probably shinier than any boots on campus right now.

Sad but, outside of a handful of exceptions, probably true.

I spent all summer getting a solid base with a combination of burgandy and the standard brown (can't remember the exact shade) meltonian boot cream. The burgandy gave it a slighly darker shade that helped it really shine. I never put neutral on the barrels, but I'd put a coat or two of neutral kiwi wax on the foot weekly. It wasn't as shiny as the people who used just wax polish, but it had a much more even color to it and looked better in my opinion.
Samueltx4
AG
Yah my concern was with the leather drying out and possibly cracking. Some people from 85 may have had shiny boots but my Dad will admit that he rarely every shined his boots.Only if they really needed it. So Hollicks can help with the resizing necessary and with restoring the leather.
hillcountryag86
AG
Samueltx4 said:

Yah my concern was with the leather drying out and possibly cracking. Some people from 85 may have had shiny boots but my Dad will admit that he rarely every shined his boots.Only if they really needed it. So Hollicks can help with the resizing necessary and with restoring the leather.
Not something to be proud of. And before it's justified as 'grades are more important than playing Corps / shining boots,' they aren't mutually exclusive.
Samueltx4
AG
I didn't say that I was proud of it. The lack of shining is one of the reasons I posted here. The lack of shining and the age of the boots just had me concerned with how to start taking care of them now.
mrad85
AG
Class of '85 here. Mine sat untouched from the day I took them off till my son '10 got to wear them.

I'm waiting till '32 for my grandson to get the opportunity.

I'll second or third Holick's as a good resource to check them over. Unless they were really mistreated in storage, you shouldn't have a problem.
Samueltx4
AG
Alright, thank you. I'll take the boots to holliks. What was your outfit Mrad85.
Ordhound04
AG
For sizing issues: Boot barrel height/width , feet size, resoling of the boots, etc. go to Hollicks. After Victors closed, it's the only place in town that works on senior boots.

Boot restoration. Restore the leather with "mink oil" or "boot cream" Meltonian is what I used in my day. Use a dyed cream to make the boots a darker color, and the neutral if you like the current color. Only use wax "kiwi polish" as a last coat to get the "two-bar" shine on your boots.

I would check with hollicks on what is best to reguvinate the leather.
mrad85
AG
Samueltx4 said:

Alright, thank you. I'll take the boots to holliks. What was your outfit Mrad85.
Sq. 5 The Filthy Fifth
Wildman15
AG
Class of '15 here. Although I didn't wear my dad's boots (c/o '86, my feet are a little bigger) I did get to wear his spurs on top of having my own set. Really cool since we were both in the band, and I wore his spurs for almost every halftime game. Even had some of my grandfather's brass that I wore for a few halftimes.

Definitely talk to Hollicks.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Wildman15 said:

Class of '15 here. Although I didn't wear my dad's boots (c/o '86, my feet are a little bigger) I did get to wear his spurs on top of having my own set. Really cool since we were both in the band, and I wore his spurs for almost every halftime game. Even had some of my grandfather's brass that I wore for a few halftimes.

Definitely talk to Hollicks.
What are your dad's initials, and what outfit was he in?
Wildman15
AG
RH. B-Batt. Just give me a thumbs up, because he is a poster on TexAgs as well. Otherwise I would just throw the name out.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Wildman15 said:

RH. B-Batt. Just give me a thumbs up, because he is a poster on TexAgs as well. Otherwise I would just throw the name out.
Saw him at a funeral a few months ago
Wildman15
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.