Hypervelocity Projectiles from Tube Artillery?

1,846 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Get Off My Lawn
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

One of the less known ripple effects of North Korea's latest round of saber rattling is it provides the US military with reasons to speed up development of a next-generation artillery shell that travels extreme distances at four-times the speed of sound.

Yes, they can target missiles.

----------------------
Because the next-generation shells are precision-guided and travel at such extreme speed, they can hit targets as far as 100 miles away in 72 seconds, markedly reducing options to evade.
What's more, they can be fired off at 20 rounds per minute at targets, including moving ones, from modified artillery already in operation.
These include the US Navy's 5-inch, ship-mounted guns as well as the US Army's Paladin 155-mm howitzer, known as powder guns in military parlance. Standard artillery shells have a range of less than 20 miles.
That adds up to a lower cost for an anti-missile defense capability, said former US Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work during a 2015 speech at the US Army War College.
----------------------
BAE Systems has developed a HVP that is 26 inches long and weighs between 40 and 50 pounds, including a 15-pound payload. It is not the size, but the extremely high velocity that enables the HVP to deliver a devastating hit on its target.

At sea, BAE Systems expects to achieve a maximum rate of fire of 20 rounds per minute from a US Navy Mk 45 5-inch gun. It estimates 10 rounds per minute from the 155mm Advanced Gun System to be mounted on the 3 DDG 1000 warships, starting with the recently deployed USS Zumwalt.

http://www.atimes.com/article/north-korea-speeds-development-next-generation-us-artillery-shells/
Does anybody have experience with these systems you can talk about? The firing rate for the 155 mm Paladin system would seem to be much slower than the naval 5 inch gun system.

It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
clarythedrill
Barrel and breach life would have to be pretty short with the charge it would take to reach those velocities.
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
Agreed. I'm sure studies are underway in parallel to the development of HVPs. Equivalent Full Charge (EFC) is a very important factor of barrel and breech life. Records are kept of every round/charge combination fired from every howitzer. In normal use, charges vary based on range. Equipment can only handle so many full charges before they're unsafe to use. To fire something that far, I assume, it would take a full charge if not more. Tube/breech life could be greatly reduced. It'll be interesting to see what HVPs do to the existing tubes.
"The leftist is driven by something other than facts and can't be cured."
JABQ04
AG
I just don't see this being feasible for Howitzer systems. Like some of y'all pointed out, the charge required will almost destroy the breech and or tube of the gun. Without going into too much there are certain combinations of charges and rounds that are not to be fired together due to damage to the gun. The amount of propellant I see being required for this is ridiculous. Hope the Army wants to pay for dozens of tubes being repaired and replaced.

Also the rate of fire is absurd. I will admit the voice was annoying as hell and I sort of spaced out at times, but yeah wishful thinking trying to dump out rounds that fast on Paladin or M777.

Eliminatus
AG
Pretty much just the end phase of old technologies.

These new HVPs are just the newest flavor of sabot rounds, albeit, with the newest materials and "advanced energetics" (which I am far more interested in).

Barrel life like the others have said will be shortened considerably. To put it lightly.

Still pretty cool that it looks like we can push it to HV. From the pictures it looks like the projo will have four bourrelets which means it might actually have true 100% gas stoppage making for far more efficient energy use obviously.
Trinity Ag
S
Eliminatus said:

Pretty much just the end phase of old technologies.

These new HVPs are just the newest flavor of sabot rounds, albeit, with the newest materials and "advanced energetics" (which I am far more interested in).

Barrel life like the others have said will be shortened considerably. To put it lightly.

Still pretty cool that it looks like we can push it to HV. From the pictures it looks like the projo will have four bourrelets which means it might actually have true 100% gas stoppage making for far more efficient energy use obviously.
Yes and no.

It is really a bridging phase between old & new technologies.

The HVP is a small guided munition that was developed to be fired at hypervelocity from an electromagnetic railgun -- specifically to target cruise missile and ballistic missile salvoes.

However, the projectile itself is reaching maturity faster than the railgun -- so they are experimenting with legacy platforms to shoot it.

A Paladin won't shoot it at hypervelocities, with a range of a 100 miles like intended with a railgun, but it doesn't HAVE to be flying that fast to track and shoot down a cruise missile.
Diyala Nick
AG
I don't know a thing about barrel life, but man that would be some bad-a counter fire.
Get Off My Lawn
I would think that the army is reducing projectile mass to increase speed. No way to use these tubes as a rail gun, so they'll just make a faster burning MACS and a light sabot round. I'd be nervous giving up fire control, though, as would be necessary for any type of intercept fire.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.