AF Announces 100% Promotion Rate To Major

2,086 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sharpdressedman
NormanAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.afpc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1309786/air-force-announces-100-percent-promotion-opportunity-to-major/

Quote:

One of the immediate needs senior leaders focused on was the service's requirement for growing and developing enough field-grade officers to meet mission demands. At 92 percent, the Air Force is currently undermanned in Line of the Air Force field-grade officers, with non-rated field-grade officers manned at 74 percent.

As such, beginning December 2017, the pool of line officers considered for promotion to major will have a 100 percent promotion opportunity. Promotion opportunity rates are typically adjusted as required to meet the needs of the Air Force.

"With this change, captains whose conduct has been exemplary can expect to be promoted to major," said Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson. "We've been letting capable people leave the service and we need them."

Promotion Recommendation Forms will only be required for officers who receive a "Promote" recommendation and have derogatory information such as an Article 15, court-martial, referral report, or letter of reprimand filed in their Officer Selection Record, as well as for officers with a "Do Not Promote" recommendation.

I retired from the AF in 1991 after a 21 year career. I saw a lot of excellent officers passed over for Major and many excellent officers who made it to Major were later riffed during manpower drawdowns.

The idea of a 100% promotion opportunity to Major seems to me like a desperate move by the AF. For current and recently retired AF folks - what are your thoughts? Good move, bad move, or a desperate move that could have bad (and possibly unintended) consequences? I'm also interested to hear what folks in the other services think about this move.
Pro Sandy
AG
Oh geez... The USAF jokes write themselves.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The Air Force has been struggling to keep people in career fields that have competitive pay in the private sector.

Plus the way the Air Force handled manning down the last budget crunch really put them behind now that the every force has the green light to grow
Trinity Ag
S
The Army had a 100% selection rate to LTC in the late oughts (2008 maybe?) when temporary end strength was at 540,000.

It resulted in a 25% selection rate to COL 4 years later.
NormanAg
AG
Interesting. I would have liked those odds way back in the day.
Hincemm
AG
I guess this explains why I was recently promoted to major.
Jock 07
AG
I just promoted. I'm wondering what happens to my peers (07 YG) who got passed over twice already now. Another change is that school selects are no longer part of promotion boards. Not sure if it's just for O-4 boards or not. I've been told that the 100% to major will only be for a few year groups. Discussion now is what will the O-5 boards look like in a few years. I'm assuming that the recent RIF boards a few years ago have something to do with this change.
sharpdressedman
Desperate move driven only by retention failure. Absence of merit-based selection for promotion is not good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.