Band Question

1,267 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CalAggie
CalAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I figure a number of former band members post here. My son, who is currently a high school junior, is interested in A&M and possibly being a member of the band. Can someone give me an overview of what the band experience is like? I realize this is a pretty broad-based question, but any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
93Spur
Contact Michael Hudson '97, BQ and Assistant Director for Corps Recruiting
800-TAMU-AGS
acr@corps.tamu.edu.
74OA
AG
Your son should try the "Spend a Night/Day with the Corps" programs to get a feel for things--scroll down towards the bottom of this link's opening page. The Band is a Corps of Cadets unit, so ~90% of the experience is the same: INFO
pingpro4
AG
Best decision of my life! Lifelong friendships and skills... best college experience out there... would do it all over again if I could...

A-CO '12
aggiejim70
AG
pingpro4 said:

Best decision of my life! Lifelong friendships and skills... best college experience out there... would do it all over again if I could...

A-CO '12
Almost half a century between me and this young man, but I couldn't have said it better myself.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Warrior 66
If you'll e-mail me at: jramirez@corps.tamu.edu I'll have my team send you information on the Corps and the Aggie Band - including how to sign up for Spend the Day/Night with the Corps, where we can place him with the Band to see first hand what its like.

I look forward to hearing from you. We are happy to provide you with the information your son needs to make an informed decision about the Aggie Band.

Gig 'em!
HollywoodBQ
AG
As an out of stater who had one kid go to A&M, and one kid who didn't gain admission, don't underestimate the difficulty of getting in to Texas A&M these days. You have to be sure to dot every i and cross every t. A great SAT score by itself isn't enough anymore.

As the Commandant and I discussed before the game on Sunday, all of the Senior Military Colleges are good options.

If you want a life changing experience that will set you on a course to success during the rest of your life, I highly recommend the Aggie Band. It's not a guarantee but, you will have the tools you need.

Dignity, Self-discipline and enduring pride are among them.

You'll join a network of former bandsmen and women who have all been through the same process. One of the really cool things about the UCLA game was running into at least 12+ guys from several classes who had been in the Band when I was there. And then on the flight to Austin, on Monday, I met 4 guys who were Aggie Band Class of 2017.

It's not easy but, it is a worthwhile endeavour. Good Luck!
CalAggie
Thanks for all the feedback! Commandant79- I will be in touch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.