second son just assinged to the 10th SFG, 1st special forces

1,270 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by chickencoupe16
OPAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He is finishing up his training in Fort Gordon, will then do airborne and then off to Ft Carson.

Any Ags here been part of that? Any council advice.

He is pretty pumped about it, he is doing IT training and is slated to be support.
Aggie Infantry
AG
Still got to finish the Q Course.

If he just finished basic training / AIT, he will need time to gain rank before donning the Green Beret.
OPAG
AG
Thanks for the response.

I was in the Corp but went D&C after prayerfully considering going contract and none of my buds went SFG so I nor my son really know how this works.

He is support, but I am having hard time trying to nail down exactly what that means. He is most definitely is plus athlete and physically very strong. He is has graded out very high in all his AIT tech classes and the main reason he entered the army was to get int IT, specifically cyber security, white hack hacking.

So I am trying to get a bit of handle on what this next chapter holds for him. None of his sergeants have a clue, I guess very few are assigned to this, he is the only one of his entire AIT. He is a smart kid and he signed up to be non combat.

Still I have feeling that does not mean he will not be deployed into combat situations. He is not against that and he orignally was thinking about going for the 'Jumping Joes' Air Force SF out of HS. I talked him out of it, wisetly, he did not have the mental or emotional maturity for that at that time.

It's kind of been in him. I have no doubt he would be a great soldier, he is kind of wired for it, so I am not surprised in his deployment. Just trying to figure out what "support' means in this deployment.

What is a Q Course?
CT'97
AG
The Q course is where he would be going if he were trying to be special forces qualified.

What it sounds to me like is that your son will be assigned the support battalion attached to the 10th SFG.
JABQ04
AG
CT'97 said:

The Q course is where he would be going if he were trying to be special forces qualified.

What it sounds to me like is that your son will be assigned the support battalion attached to the 10th SFG.

Bingo. 18 series MOS are the "operators" but they still need other soldiers to support them, so Commo types, mechanics, etc...

Still pretty cool to be in that environment and your son will probably get to do some awesome stuff that other Soldiers in his MOS wouldn't even dream of in a traditional unit. Great opportunity and if he likes it he can always attend selection at a later date to try become a member of SF.
LewisChilds
AG
That's a great opportunity. Being support to SF will come with a different deployment cycle than most. He likely will have some training opportunities not available to his FORSCOM brethren. He may have the opportunity to work outside his MOS in a much wider variety of locations. Working with cool guys often times comes with more big boy rules vs being treated like a child. Common sense in training and day to day operations tends to be more prevalent in SF support community so he likely will deal with less silly **** than his buddies at say Fort Hood. That being said, he will still be a junior enlisted doing a lot of the same things every other E1-E4 is doing in the Army. Hopefully this experience motivates him to want to attend and pass SFAS. Otherwise, when he inevitably leaves the SF world, his first experience in the regular Army will be a real culture shock.
Zulu451
AG
might suggest that if your son is going SF that you ask people to PM you rather than post on an open forum. He will be trying to get a TS clearance, and OPSEC is important. Not trying to be a ******, but he is in a different world now. Best of luck!
OPAG
AG
Thanks guys this has been very helpful and yea he is support and it does seem to be an honor and he is really stoked about it.

Now I can see why he was selected for such an assignment he is not your normal enlisted guy either mentally or physically. Of course as a parent I would prefer him to not be in harms way, but did and will support him entirely if he chooses or is asked to go for the green beret. I would not be surprised at all if he did. However at this time he is happy about support.

Just an interesting note, the vast majority of those in his class are being deployed to SKorea.

I will start going PM once he starts heading that way.

chickencoupe16
AG
A good friend of mine is a mechanic for the 5th SFG. He loves it more than he ever dreamed he would. Especially loves jumping out of planes and had to jump out of all kinds of different aircraft that regular airborne would never touch. Also has a bunch of different qualifications that he likely would never have gotten if he wasn't with SF.

He deploys for about a year nearly every other year (so one here, one there, repeat). Lots of time away. He's single so it's relatively easy on him. Plus the extra pay is really nice along with the pre and post-deployment leave.

He's never been in any hairy situations even though this is his third deployment. From what I understand, he waits in the other side of the border to fix what gets sent back broken. I would imagine there may be some times when mechanics do have to go to the broken equipment, but he's never told me about it if so.

Again, this is a good buddy and this is all you the best of my knowledge. Long story short, he loves out it and it's provided many more opportunities, but it does keep him from home a lot more.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.