Army Pilots

9,418 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MarathonAg12
RyanSmith1988
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Removed
CanyonAg77
AG
https://texags.com/account/profile/166237

Girl with the username pirate04. Is either currently flying UH-60s or is in training.
Trident15
AG
Army aviator checking in, will send him an email in the AM
Diyala Nick
AG
Must have huevos grandes. Army aviators are straight crazy.
Arya Stark
Op, I would be happy to reach out if he was still looking for some advice and information.

Arya Stark
Just started the 60 course last week.
CanyonAg77
AG
Perma ban on the old name?
Arya Stark
For now.
Complaint Investigator
AG
He shipped today. Got the LOR from one of my old, crusty, CW4 type IP's at Rucker I'm good friends with.

Poor SOB got Sand Hill. Who wants to send him a care package?
marcel ledbetter
Sandhill barracks at Benning?
Fly Army 97
Good bull.
StrykerAg
AG
Prospective pilots allowed to get LASIK or is that still a no-no? I am probably getting the surgery soon regardless, but would like to know if I'd then have a shot at fulfilling a childhood dream.
Complaint Investigator
AG
Should be fine.

Per the APL:

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Uncomplicated, successful completion of LASIK (laser in-situ keratomileusis), LASEK (Laser Subepithelial Keratomileusis), or PRK (Photo Refractive Keratectomy) to improve visual acuity Uwithin pre-surgical standards and post-surgical assessmentU as outlined below will be qualified as Information Only.
Cases outside of standards will require a waiver or exception to policy (ETP) request in the form of an Aeromedical Summary (AMS).
Corneal refractive surgery (CRS) is indicated for the correction of refractive error (myopia, hyperopia or astigmatism). Only LASIK, LASEK, and PRK,(including the wavefront techniques) are currently acceptable for all FDME classes, to include applicants.
Alternate procedures, complications, and failure to meet pre/post-op standards will require consultation with USAAMA for consideration on a case-by-case basis.
Outlaw0206
AG
StrykerAg said:

Prospective pilots allowed to get LASIK or is that still a no-no? I am probably getting the surgery soon regardless, but would like to know if I'd then have a shot at fulfilling a childhood dream.

You can.. lots of guys get that or PRK now and just have a waiver.
Complaint Investigator
AG
It's not even a waiver. It's marked as "information only" and you don't have to wait on the waiver for it.
Complaint Investigator
AG
He made it through basic and is at Rucker now waiting on WOCS.

I spoke with him the other day, and he told me they can't make TRADOC kids do more than ten push ups/exercises and they only ran twice a week in basic. WTF?!? This was at Benning. I'd have expected more there of all places.
StrykerAg
AG
I asked my career counselor for my line scores. I've got a 125 GT, so I am going to start studying for the SIFT.
StrykerAg
AG
Went for my LASIK consultation today and scheduled my surgery for next month.
StrykerAg
AG
Had my LASIK done yesterday. Felt like absolute crap afterwards but after a 12-hour nap I feel better and CAN SEE!
JABQ04
AG
Sounds better than PRK. Had that done on the Army's fine back in early 2009. For about three days I was regretting having it done. But we're closing in on 9 1/2 years and still 20/20 both eyes so way worth it in the end. Good luck
StrykerAg
AG
Thanks. Yeah I based my decision to get LASIK over PRK based on recovery time and talking to people both in my unit and my civilian job that have gotten both procedures done. Everyone who had PRK complained about the longer recovery time, pain, large vision fluctuations, and one guy in my unit is currently experiencing corneal tearing! Yikes! Everyone I spoke to that got LASIK said they were good to go in a day or two and could see great. Only issue I heard was an infrequent stinging sensation later on caused by cells in the cornea not healing in exactly the right place. That doesn't sound too great either, but so far I am glad I finally got this done. Now I just need to wait at least 3 months before trying to get the flight physical done.
Complaint Investigator
AG
OP originally posted asking for help with his buddy getting a LOR for a friend of his for flight school. I got him a LOR from a CW4 at Rucker. The kid made it through basic and WOCS, then on to flight school. He ended up selecting Hawks. As a Hawk driver the same CW4 was his night instructor pilot.

Kid just graduated flight school and is headed to Egypt with a Hawaii follow on assignment. Due to being at the Apache AQC while he was in flight school, we got to hang out a bit.

Happy ending for any that care since I'm rarely on here any longer. It's a small world.
Outlaw0206
AG
Oh wow, that's crazy! Thanks for sharing. Aviation is certainly a small community. Are you a warrant yourself? I've been back at Rucker for CCC. I finish up in Feb then I'm headed to Bragg to take command.
ArmyAg2002
AG
Awesome story.
Rucker isnt near as much fun when you go back, I was there for WOAC last year.
Fly Army 97
Good bull!
Complaint Investigator
AG
For those that ever followed this - the kid's name was Marwan Ghabour. Marwan lost his life when the UH60 he was co-piloting crashed on the 12th in the Sinai Peninsula. He became one of the best friends I ever had after helping him get his LOR. I got word today they are bringing him home Monday.

If you stay in long enough, this usually happens. Again. And again. And again. This one has been the most soul crushing loss to date. I can't believe he's gone.
Diyala Nick
AG
Complaint Investigator said:

For those that ever followed this - the kid's name was Marwan Ghabour. Marwan lost his life when the UH60 he was co-piloting crashed on the 12th in the Sinai Peninsula. He became one of the best friends I ever had after helping him get his LOR. I got word today they are bringing him home Monday.

If you stay in long enough, this usually happens. Again. And again. And again. This one has been the most soul crushing loss to date. I can't believe he's gone.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. God bless.
Fly Army 97
Yep, Aviation is a small community. The Pilot in Command was a private in my company, straight out of AIT, when I was a company commander. One of those guys always smiling and getting the most out of life. We met up again when he was a W2 at Hood and then his battalion RIPd with mine in Europe. After this tour he was supposed to go to the 160th. It's crushing, but his memory will live for a lifetime.
Hey Nav
AG
RIP, CWO2 Marwan Ghabour.

Complaint Investigator, very sorry to hear this news. My deepest sympathies.
ArmyTanker
Fly Army 97 said:

Yep, Aviation is a small community. The Pilot in Command was a private in my company, straight out of AIT, when I was a company commander. One of those guys always smiling and getting the most out of life. We met up again when he was a W2 at Hood and then his battalion RIPd with mine in Europe. After this tour he was supposed to go to the 160th. It's crushing, but his memory will live for a lifetime.
He must have been high speed.
ArmyAg2002
AG
Sorry for your loss. The PC was a friend of a close friend, my buddy is crushed. It seems like if it is not someone you know, someone you know knows them. It always ripples through the entirety of the community.
Naveronski
AG
Wtf? My post was deleted?
Pirate04
AG
I love our community so much. And hate it all at the same time. We are small, select few. We have to continue to lift each other up. Praying for all of those effected by our latest loss.

I'm in the Middle East as a civilian, a random no named AOB. Ran into a buddy from WOBC and one of the B Co Cadre. That's our world and it's a small one.
Aggie12B
AG
Pirate04 said:

I love our community so much. And hate it all at the same time. We are small, select few. We have to continue to lift each other up. Praying for all of those effected by our latest loss.

I'm in the Middle East as a civilian, a random no named AOB. Ran into a buddy from WOBC and one of the B Co Cadre. That's our world and it's a small one.
Stay safe over there, Pirate
MarathonAg12
Just reactivated my Account to respond to this.

I just returned from a year long mission in the Sinai Peninsula (Egypt). I had the distinct pleasure of meeting, a then Warrant Officer Ghabour, in February of this year. He would go on to be one of my best friends in Egypt. He was 27 years old and full of life with unlimited potential. I would listen to other pilots shape and mold him through out our tour. He loved his apparel company, Green Bag Tactical, and was always designing new things on his iPad Pro. If he wasn't flying I would catch him designing new things and maybe throw a suggestion at him from time to time. He worked at the Apple Genius Bar before he decided he wanted to pursue the life of an Army Aviator and always had the tips, tricks and advice for our Apple needs haha. It was a pleasure to be at his promotion ceremony this past July and see him pin on CW2. We all grew close together and became family because of COVID-19. Our camp went on full lock down and everyone's mid tour leave got canceled. We rucked together, ate together and lifted together. We picked each other up when we were down. He was a great friend, brother and son.

He sent me a text, days before the crash, saying he would be heading to Hawaii soon and he can't wait to meet my family. One day I'll take my family there and reflect on our time together.

I want to thank everyone on this thread who made it possible for Marwan to fly. Him and Dallas died doing what they love. And no one can ever take that from them. Marwan has been laid to rest and is at peace now. Dallas, CW3 Garza, will be laid to rest on 02DEC in San Antonio, TX.

Memorial patches and stickers available at www.greenbagtactical.com

Proceeds will go to the families of the fallen.

Forever in Flight. MFO 400R

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.