Grandfathers Funeral

1,500 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Kraken
Aggielandman02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am turning to the Aggie community for some help today. My Grandfather passed away on Friday, and his funeral is about an hour from College Station on Monday at 2pm. I have been trying to get ahold of the VA to set up an Honor Guard, since he was an officer in WW2, but due to it being the weekend, and such a quick time between his passing and the funeral, I am having difficulty setting up these honors. Does the Aggie Corp provide this service? Please let me know if you have any info or can help ASAP. Thanks and Gig' Em.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Friday to Monday, 72 hours is a pretty big challenge to get something organized that quickly.
In all seriousness, call your local National Guard or Army Reserve Unit and see if they might be drilling this weekend they might have some ideas.

When I was in the National Guard in San Angelo, one of my soldiers who lived in Odessa died. We provided the pall bearers, etc. but we got a bugler from some other local agency to play Taps. I think it was either a police or a fire department in Odessa.

Hope that helps.
JABQ04
AG
Maybe contact the summer recruiting company on campus (if that even exists). Might be lucky and have someone there or can get someona quickly. Local NG armory might work too.
Sorry for your loss. Prayers for your family.
Aggielandman02
AG
I will pursue these suggestions in the morning. I just want to thank you for your help and thoughts and prayers at this time.
adamsbq06
AG
Call the Band they should be able to get a PH to be bugler... I played taps at a couple funerals.
Pro Sandy
AG
I know this is late, but felt this information would be beneficial in the future and this looks like the best place for it.

This past weekend we held a service for my grandfather, also a veteran, who passed away. The funeral director was able to get a detail from the local naval air base to fold and present the flag and play taps (using a player in the bell of the bugle), but not for a 21 gun salute. My granddad was a member of the local submarine veterans group, so their leader said he would ensure one was provided. The local American Legion provided a rifle squad to provide 3 volleys. This was done in less than 72 hours. Most American Legion halls have an honor guard for this very purpose.
The Kraken
AG
Pro Sandy said:

I know this is late, but felt this information would be beneficial in the future and this looks like the best place for it.

This past weekend we held a service for my grandfather, also a veteran, who passed away. The funeral director was able to get a detail from the local naval air base to fold and present the flag and play taps (using a player in the bell of the bugle), but not for a 21 gun salute. My granddad was a member of the local submarine veterans group, so their leader said he would ensure one was provided. The local American Legion provided a rifle squad to provide 3 volleys. This was done in less than 72 hours. Most American Legion halls have an honor guard for this very purpose.
Also for future reference...you can request a real trumpeter to replace the canned recorded taps at this website:

Bugles Across America
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.