When the Hazlewood Act and 9/11 GI Bill Collide

3,460 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JimDandy
birdiesatx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hoping someone else has a similar situation and has already gone down this road before... I retired with a VA rating of 100% permanent and total. I transferred 100% of my 9/11 GI Bill benefit to one of my 3 children who has used about half of the benefit so far.

I am considering getting another degree at A&M and want to use my Hazlewood Act exemption but for some reason, the COE that the VA kicks out shows that I'm still eligible for all 36 months of the 9/11 GI Bill.

Likewise, child #2 is on the verge of going to college and plans to use the Hazlewood Act Child exemption but we are worried about there still being 9/11 GI Bill benefit left in child #1's pot.

I have the documentation to show I transferred the benefit and it's being used by child #1 - I'm wondering if that will be enough to show TAMU that I am not using federal benefits for myself when I apply for the Hazlewood benefit.

Any insights would be most helpful. Thanks!
AEK
AG
I haven't had to use either yet, but maybe the Hazlewood does not kick in until the GI Bill is exhausted? Is there a website with program FAQ or contact info for someone who can help? If so, that is where I start. If not I would call someone at A&M. I am sure there are many vets who used both while attending, so they are probably well versed in it and would be able to point you in the right direction.
12thmanfootball
AG
Great thread, I have a lot of questions, too, about using them in conjunction with one another. I am only set to receive 50% of the Post 9/11 benefit (earmarked for my daughter), but I am wondering if it is better to just use Hazlewood only, which I think is illegal because I have to use up my Post 9/11 benefits first. Any VA reps from A&M on this site????
momlaw
AG
Veterans Services Office

The Veteran Services Office (VSO) is available to help veterans and their dependents maximize their college funding at Texas A&M University. Over 3,100 students, both veterans and dependents of veterans, currently receive veterans' educational benefits at our institution.
sek92
AG
Go to charlotte at the vso. She knows everything and is completely awesome. Helped sort everything out with the 2 programs
2004FIGHTINTXAG
You have to use up your entire GI Bill before you can use the Hazelwood.
Whoop04
There is a loophole. I know because I used my hazlewood and Montgomery together at A&M about a year ago, and still have my whole post 9-11.
harleyds2
AG
If any of you are former officers. Hazelwood is continually attacked by public universities.

There are many local chapters of the military officers association in Texas. We advocate at the state level to protect these benefits. Membership in chapters is very inexpensive. You do not have to active to provide support

MOAA needs your support
Please email me if you would like more information. Harleyds2@yahoo.com
bigtruckguy3500
Whoop04 said:

There is a loophole. I know because I used my hazlewood and Montgomery together at A&M about a year ago, and still have my whole post 9-11.
How do you have both Montgomery and post 9/11? Did you get montgomery prior to the post 9/11 existing, and then get post 9/11 following a new contract?
Whoop04
I paid into the Montgomery before post 9/11 existed. Once post 9/11 was created I had access to it as well. I got a masters degree on the benefits but likely won't use even 25% of them.
Schrute
I have 3 kids. When I retired, I left half of my GI Bill to my middle child and half to my youngest. The oldest I left nothing on the GI Bill. Why? I am using Hazlewood on my oldest right now - she wouldn't have been eligible for it if I would have left her anything on my GI Bill.

Don't know if this helps, but it's my situation.
JimDandy
With 100% VA disability, don't you qualify for vocational rehab and don't have to use either GI Bill or Hazelwood?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.