DD 215

2,708 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Joe Schillaci 48
denied
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have any experience getting a DD215? I ETSd a little over two months ago and I unexpectedly received an ARCOM in the mail today. Is it worth getting a 215? I already had one so only the OLC would need to be added. What all is involved to request a 215?
bufrilla
AG
DD214???
JABQ04
AG

My bad to the OP. Learn something new everyday. Absolutely get it corrected. Never know when or if it will come in handy.
Hey Nav
AG
DD 215 is used to correct errors or make additions to the 214. Don't be so hard on the OP.
wtr1975
AG
https://www.reference.com/government-politics/obtain-dd215-ac067bb0a9758ef6#
DogCo84
AG
You could probably accomplish the same thing with your existing DD214 and a copy of the award ORDERS? I actually had two discharges...one from active duty and another from the Army Reserve. I never got an updated DD214 after my last discharge, but was able to accomplish most anything requiring military records with my AD DD214 and other documentation (orders, etc.).

That said, I'd go for correction/update. Hell, I may go for it now 30+ years after my initial discharge to consolidate everything!

BQ78
AG
Dog:

Unless you do an extended active duty tour, I don't think you get a DD 214 for reserve retirement, just a reserve order. Believe me I have had a hard time trying to explain that in the civilian world, they only understand DD 214 and don't get the reserve order and that it is the reserve equivalent.
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
I got one about 4 months after I got our in 2012. I dealt with the admin at my last command and showed emailed them the appropriate paperwork (your ARCOM citation i guess?) for my retroactive award. They had the DD215 to me in a month. It's a simple one page addendum to your 214.
Federale01
AG
I contacted the U.S Army HRC Awards and Decorations Branch when I wanted to switch my GWOT Expeditionary Medal for an OIF medal. They said they would look into it for me. They agreed that I deserved the OIF Medal with two clusters and that my unit had been awarded the Meritorious Unit Citation after I had left the unit. They sent me both awards and an updated DD214.

I bet you could contact them to help you as well.
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
When I left AD I of course got my 214.... not a year later (while in the Reserve and now NG) I get a 215 in the mail because someone somewhere found an error. What prompted the review?.?.?. What's really funny is I can't just get an updated 214. I'll always have to present both. I can't even recall what the error was, only that it was extremely minor.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
DD215 is a pain in the rear because some administrative person made a typo.

As an enlisted troop, I served 8 years. DD 214 said "Release from Active Duty". It should have said "Discharge".

So about two months after leaving service they issued a DD215 Amending "Release from Active Duty" to "Discharge".

In the very few times I have needed to show my DD214, I never showed them the DD215.

I don't think anyone cares.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.