MOAB

1,906 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CT'97
drmwvr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mother of all bombs.

Can someone educate me on this weapon. Looks like it's the largest conventional bomb we have in our arsenal. Today's use was the first in combat?

Why now? It sounds impressive.
74OA
AG
Here you go........
JABQ04
AG
NM
drmwvr
AG
Thanks. I figured one of you military board folks would have a good, non-mainstream media, link!

That's a bad boy alright.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

That's a bad boy alright.
All USAF weapons should be referred to in a gender- neutral, more inclusive manner.
drmwvr
AG
Is "that's one bad mother" better?

Edit- I know that's not gender neutral
Rabid Cougar
AG
If i'm not mistaken, they have to deliver it with a C-130 or a C-17 over the ramp. Don't think it fits the B-1/B-52 bomb bays.
InnerCityAg
Rabid Cougar said:

If i'm not mistaken, they have to deliver it with a C-130 or a C-17 over the ramp. Don't think it fits the B-1/B-52 bomb bays.

Yes. I hear they kick it out the ass end of a C-130 variant.
JR69
AG
The MOAB was delivered by one of the Combat Talon MC-130 aircraft. It is drogue deployed out the aft end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_MC-130
Rabid Cougar
AG
Now we will see MC-5 Combat Megatrons cruising around the skys of Afghanistan with 5 or 6 MOABs
airplane driver
S
Adjr (A Bat '06, Maj USAF) was responsible for putting it together and shipping it overseas so it could be used.
Fly Army 97
If memory serves me right, back when OIF started, a big MOAB was sitting in a hangar and everyone used to get on it and take a picture. I think I have one somewhere. Seems odd now, but it was just right there all by itself in clamshell as I walked to my birds every day.
CT'97
AG
Looks like it did it's job.

before and after photo's.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.