Update on my son...class of '14

1,428 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lobster Twins
Jeff84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Back in January, I posted on here that my son left for OSUT in Fort Benning, Georgia, on an Option 40 contract. His goal was to be a Ranger, and this path would allow him a chance for RASP after getting his airborne training completed. He wanted to enlist and go this path, even though he had his degree and could have gone OCS.

Well, things have changed somewhat. We just got back from Family Day this weekend, and the day before that began, he was called in by his Drill Sergeant and told to go downstairs to meet a Special Forces liaison. Upon arrival, there were 7 others selected from the entire company to meet this SF sergeant. Because of their scores, testing, and overall performance thus far, they were asked if changing their contracts to 18X was something they would consider. After considerable thought and prayer with his wife and our family, he has decided this is a route that God wants him to go at this time. We know there are no guarantees that he will become a Green Beret, but we are proud nonetheless! Please keep this young Aggie in your thoughts and prayers as he goes deeper in this process!

Thanks and Gig'em!
CanyonAg77
StorminAg
AG
You should be very proud!
Lobster Twins
AG
Went that route back in 2002. I'm sure the course has changed a bit but basically as long as he decides that quitting isn't an option (and don't do anything stupid) then he should be fine. It's a marathon as opposed to a quicker suck like Ranger school. As for Ranger School, he'll have opportunities to do that down the road for that 'tower of power.'

What is his immediate future? We went straight to Airborne then to SOPC (Special Ops Prep Course) I would say of those that I started with in the 18X program (SOPC), approx 2/3 of us made it through Selection (SFAS) which was a way higher % than those coming from the regular Army. They really do set you up for success. The SOPC Land Nav was brutal and probably the only reason I made it through selection's Land Nav...which was brutal in its own right. There was talk about making or letting everyone attend SOPC but I'm not sure how they do it these days.

Anyway, wish him luck. Let me know if you have any questions.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.