Lesbian selected as Commandant at AF Academy

2,054 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TangoMike
Herknav
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
//The US Air Force in the continuous effort to social engineer military service, has opted to recommend Col Kristin Goodwin, bomber pilot, advocate of LGBT lifestyle (she has a wife and two kids) and currently is aide de camp to Sec Def 'Maddog' Maddox as the new Commandant of the US Air Force Academy pending Congressional approval. My question is, would TAMU Corps of Cadet be significantly 'progressive' enough to accept a leadership change such as this without blowback. I hear very little consternation or criticism from AF Academy alumni I know, as to the choice. President Trump has recommended her for Brig General; so are those in the service really just going to salute smartly and move on? Would contacting a congressman to voice displeasure really change this outcome?//Herknav sends

www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2017/04/roy_moores_wife_issues_stateme.htm
TangoMike
Why did you put slashes (//) at the beginning and end of your post?
armymom
Not sure what the problem is with her selection. I doubt that her sex life has anything to do with her doing a good job.
bigtruckguy3500
First of all, I doubt a lesbian would make it into the nomination process for commandant at A&M. In fact I think it'll be a while before a straight woman gets nominated (do we have any female former cadet generals?). The problem she will have, and any minority generally has, is that they are automatically considered a "diversity hire" by some people. It doesn't matter how qualified they are, these people think that surely there must have been a male who was more qualified, or a white person who was more qualified, or a straight person, or a christian, (or all of the above), etc. You get put under a microscope and everyone looks for an excuse to say "see, I told you they should've picked someone else."

I personally don't care, so long as they can do the job they're required to do, and do it well.
AggieEP
Herknav, mot sure what your problem is here.

You seem to be looking for people to confirm your own biases and prejudices.

The air force (and military in general) has really forged itself a great reputation since the repeal of don't ask don't tell. We have a welcoming environment and I've seen these seemingly radical changes come and go with overwhelming acceptance from the units I've been in.

My former commander was a lesbian, but the best part was that she was there to do her job and not force any kind of agenda. She was competent and highly respected and in no way received this command for diversity purposes.

I dream of the day when a person's race or sexual orientation isn't a topic that others or themselves bring up when discussing a person.
CT'97
AG
Herknav said:

so are those in the service really just going to salute smartly and move on?

Yes,
I worked for and with several officers who's personal decisions I did not like or fundamentally disagreed with. I didn't let that affect my professional relationship or ability to complete my tasks.
74OA
AG
As Noblemen06 commented on another board:

"FWIW, the Air Force is taking criticism for NOT making a big deal about her appointment and she had stellar command tours at two bomb wings. From my peers that worked for her, she and her wife never "wore it on their sleeves" or made any point to draw attention to their lifestyle any more than heterosexual wing commanders do in professional settings (next to nil, in other words).

The only reason this is even in the news is because some GLBT activist organization that focuses on the military publicized an internally-written article condemning the Air Force for not drawing attention to appointing a lesbian Air Force Academy Commandant. Then another activist group that focuses on religious issues in the military came out condemning the appointment, since the GLBT organization drew attention to it.

TL/DR: AF doesn't care about who she sleeps with; she's had a distinguished career; actual Airmen respected the hell out of her as a commander."

JABQ04
AG
OP,
You do realize that as long as he/she or whoever your boss is gives you a lawful order, you must execute said order regardless of their personal lifestyle or choices?

Also kudos to AF if they didn't try to make this a big deal, because well... it isn't. She got a job she deserved. Life goes on.
Say Chowdah
AG
Quote:

Col Kristin Goodwin, bomber pilot, and currently is aide de camp to Sec Def 'Maddog' Maddox
Recommended by Maddog Maddox?

What a friggin' idiot he is. He knows nothing about leadership, history or combat does he. NOTHING!

/sarcasm
Say Chowdah
AG
AggieEP said:

Herknav, mot sure what your problem is here.

You seem to be looking for people to confirm your own biases and prejudices.

The air force (and military in general) has really forged itself a great reputation since the repeal of don't ask don't tell. We have a welcoming environment and I've seen these seemingly radical changes come and go with overwhelming acceptance from the units I've been in.

My former commander was a lesbian, but the best part was that she was there to do her job and not force any kind of agenda. She was competent and highly respected and in no way received this command for diversity purposes.

I dream of the day when a person's race or sexual orientation isn't a topic that others or themselves bring up when discussing a person.
I served before DADT and then when it was implemented. The irony was that it wasn't as though we didn't already have very strong suspicions already and yet, provided they were competent, we didn't care. It was universally accepted that we'd rather serve with someone from a different walk of life, that is good at what they are supposed to do, than someone who was useless but walked the straight line.

DADT was the politically correct start as it allowed a process that has been progressively implemented over time. And, I completely agree with your post. The vast majority, in uniform, privately don't care one way or another provided that, when the rubber hits the road, the ones there are good to go. Now, some may publicly rabble to ensure that EVERYONE knows not to lump them in with the ones the policy is designed to protect, but in the end, most of them quietly understand that it is their own weaknesses showing. The stronger folks just roll their eyes at the rabble.
74OA
AG
An AF Academy grad (mechanical engineering) Goodwin was the Air Force's first female bomb wing commander, taking over the 2nd Bomb Wing at Barksdale Air Force Base, the nation's oldest bomb unit, in 2014. She brought with her a string of accolades, including 41st Electronic Combat Squadron Pilot of the Year, 41st Electronic Combat Squadron Company Grade Officer of the Year, Daedalians Pilot of the Year, Air Force Association Aviator of the Year, 325th Bomb Squadron Mission Commander of the year, and 325th Bomb Squadron Instructor Pilot of the year, according to the Shreveport Times. She had flown the B-2 Stealth Bomber, our nation's leading strategic bomber, before taking command of Barksdale's wing and later moving to Washington, D.C. to serve as the senior military assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force.

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
We just had a female Corps Cadet Colonel last year !
bigtruckguy3500
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Last year and this year.
TangoMike
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

There was a rainstorm in Idaho last week!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.