Disabled Vets Liscense Plates

2,672 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 74OA
champagnepapi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I see many of these rolling around town.

Are these things easy to get? Can I claim a broken elbow and be a DV?

I assume PTSD counts as well because I know a triathetle that rolls around with dv plates. Dude is perfectly fine. But I do understand some scars don't show.
74OA
AG
You have to produce official VA disability documentation. I'm not sure what disability percentage qualifies for plates and other DMV benefits....
Trident15
AG
Disabled Veteran Plate: Disabled Veterans must have a service-connected disability rating of 50% or more, or 40% due to amputation of a lower extremity for a disabled Veteran license plate and/or parking placard. For Veterans with total disabilities and desiring an International Symbol of Access (ISA) on their plate, Form VTR-214 must accompany any application.

From http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Home/Benefit_Library/State__Territory_Benefits/Texas.html
74OA
AG
Remember, a vet's overall disability rating percentage is the cumulative total of all his/her individual service-related disabilities as certified by the VA. So a vet could have several 10% (or whatever) ratings on some comparatively minor disabilities that add up to the 50% threshold.........
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
I have one. I have a 60% rating. We get free tolls with the EZ Tag and every plate rates a handicapped parking spot, regardless of if we legitimately need one or not. I do not, but they still gave me a handicapped placard. It's a weird system.
CT'97
AG
FightnFarmerUSMC said:

I have one. I have a 60% rating. We get free tolls with the EZ Tag and every plate rates a handicapped parking spot, regardless of if we legitimately need one or not. I do not, but they still gave me a handicapped placard. It's a weird system.
There is also free parking at some airports and other benefits that go along with the plates. These are the main reason the folks I know use them.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
CT'97 said:

FightnFarmerUSMC said:

There is also free parking at some airports and other benefits that go along with the plates. These are the main reason the folks I know use them.
70% disabled vet here. You get free tolls with the EZ Tag except the North Texas Toll Road Authority in DFW. That includes Houston, Austin, even Oklahoma, but not DFW. Not sure why.

However you do get free airport parking at DFW airport.
74OA
AG
As a vet, I've always wondered why disabled vet plates should include the access symbol (wheelchair) for handicap parking unless the vet has a mobility disability in his/her list of VA certified ailments.
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
That was my thought exactly. I went to the DMV when I moved to Texas last year because I wanted the free tolls. They handed my my DV plates and a handicapped placard. I told the lady I don't get one of those because I'm 100% ambulatory. She said every DV gets one, put it in my folder with the plates, and moved on. I had DV plates in Alabama and didn't get a placard, so I'm still perplexed at why there is a blanket policy.
gigem70
AG
FightnFarmerUSMC said:

What is the procedure for free tolls? I couldn't find this addressed on the website.
74OA
AG
gigem70 said:

FightnFarmerUSMC said:

What is the procedure for free tolls? I couldn't find this addressed on the website.
It's all here......

What I find confusing is the first paragraph lists certain military decorations the vet must have been awarded in order to drive toll free, yet some here seem to indicate that a disabled vet plate will do, too??????
JABQ04
AG
Probably because people are ignorant and will leave passive aggressive notes in your vehicle for parking in a handicapped spot with only DV plates. Need the tag to show proof I guess.
JABQ04
AG
74OA said:

gigem70 said:

FightnFarmerUSMC said:

It's all here......

What I find confusing is the first paragraph lists certain military decorations the vet must have been awarded in order to drive toll free, yet later on it seems to indicate that any disabled vet plate will qualify. ??????

I definetley for free tolls with my EZ tag for PH plates
74OA
AG
JABQ04 said:

Probably because people are ignorant and will leave passive aggressive notes in your vehicle for parking in a handicapped spot with only DV plates. Need the tag to show proof I guess.
I thought the handicapped access wheelchair logo was on the disabled vet plate itself? I know my Dad's was.....

Just checked. Looks like I'm mistaken: Specialty Plates
JABQ04
AG
Coincidentally enough I just drove to pick up my daughter from school. In the parent pick up line were two types of DV plates. One, which I think is older, has blue lettering and the handicap sign on the far left. The other is a newer plate type with black lettering and only has DV-**** on it.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Newer ones do not have the handicapped symbol. That is why you need the placard. If you go out of state some law enforcement officers do not know that.

PS Most cities will allow you to have free parking at parking meters.

And repeating, no free tolls on North Texas Toll roads but you do in Oklahoma and the rest of Texas.

74OA
AG
74OA said:

gigem70 said:

FightnFarmerUSMC said:

It's all here......

What I find confusing is the first paragraph lists certain military decorations the vet must have been awarded in order to drive toll free, yet some here seem to indicate that a disabled vet plate will do, too??????

So what's the answer?
Hincemm
AG
pepe the dog said:

Newer ones do not have the handicapped symbol. That is why you need the placard. If you go out of state some law enforcement officers do not know that.

And repeating, no free tolls on North Texas Toll roads but you do in Oklahoma and the rest of Texas.

Are you sure about that? I thought there are two distinct plates; Dv plates and handicapped dv plates.
74OA
AG
Hincemm said:

pepe the dog said:

Are you sure about that? I thought there are two distinct plates; Dv plates and handicapped dv plates.
Plates
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.