Policy Update for the 2017- 2018 Corps Year

58,083 Views | 350 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
jmadison2020
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Here are the Policy Updates the Corps will be implementing next year. Some of this I can deal with, they aren't big issues. Some of the changes fundamentally alter how the Corps of Cadets functions and would do nothing to separate us from other SMCs. It is what we do differently that separates us from the other SMCs and make us better. Given that we are still a few months out, it is my hope that the policy changes can be adjusted before next year starts. Cadets as it stands have no feedback mechanism outside the MUC team who defend these positions and are unwilling to risk their own. I am writing here for the sole purpose of trying to create a reaction from people who won't be silenced and can help bring a change. It is what we do differently that separates us from the other SMCs and the Academies. You can see for yourself the validity of my claim. ALL of these details come from a brief that the Key Leaders received yesterday. I am willing to provide screenshots of the PowerPoint to support my claim.

FOW Updates
Introduction of Standard Corps Day into FOW schedule
Academic Day and EST into the daily schedule
No training during EST
Personal Time nightly
No inventory fish PFT (total of 3 to 4 PT sessions)
No Shopping Trips (no req for standardized room items)
More Team Building and Leadership Dev exercises
No Water Fight (MU Field Meet instead)
Corps Run on Friday after Thursday night Airout
Remaining Corps members return Friday prior to classes
No Freshman Convocation on Sunday prior to classes

Changes to Uniform Bag
Drop Black Sweater / Poncho
Return to Winter Uniform (Pink Trousers & Gabardine Shirt)
Reduction in number of Midnight shirts / Boot pants

2017-2018 Updates
Weekly Schedule Changes
M/W/F Morning
Corps/ROTC/Special Unit PT Sessions
ROTC PT on Thursday if Corps Run Friday
T/TH Morning
Unit Instruction / Drill / Counseling / CR events
Afternoon Training
Alternative PT Session (total of 4 PT sessions / week)
LRC / O-Course / Stamina Course / other
Intramurals
Corps Values Training

Standardized Training at the Major Unit level.
Objective
Pass PFT and meet Weight Standards
Proudly wear uniform & Look sharp while marching
Achieve Fish-level tasks
Earn Corps Brass
Cadets trained at Major Unit level to conduct standardized training across the MU
CTOs will lead / supervise PT sessions in Aug / Sep
Max group runs < 2 miles at 8.5 to 9 min pace
MU trainers will lead / supervise PT sessions in Oct
Max group runs < 3 miles at 8.5 min pace
Unit led PT sessions in Nov (< 4 miles at 8 min pace)
No PT training sessions after Thanksgiving until the Spring Semester
Corps Brass will be conducted solely on West Campus
Wed 22 Nov (Reading Day)
Corps movement to West Campus
Designated areas for PT sessions
Brass awarded at Corps formation
Return to Quad as a Corps

The problem with these changes is that they kill outfit cultures. It removes the unique cultures our individual outfits have and make us a "unified Corps" in everything we do. In principle that is a nice plan, but the unique outfit cultures is what separates Texas A&M from the other Academies and SMCs. People tell stories from training times and Corps Brass that they did with their outfit. These changes deny the next class the ability to build relationships with their buddies that are advertised and spoken about so heavily. COs and 1SGs will be given 12 days of actual training to be able to practice their leadership skills. Corps Brass has always happened on the same day as a Corps, but now the event itself removes the idea of Commanders Intent and is planned outside the outfit. Unless the strongest bonds of friendship are built through adversity faced while rehearsing drill movements.

2017-2018 Updates in the Works
MU trainers conduct FOW Basic Skills training for all fish in the Major Unit
Cadre and Returning Cadets must pass an open book exam of the Standard and PPG
Hallway & Greeting Procedures being revamped
Duncan Dining Procedures being revamped
Learning Objectives for each class being developed; must demonstrate proficiency to earn / maintain cadet rank/position
Freshmen promoted to PFC / Sophomores to Sergeant for Spring semester if meet promotion criteria (in development)
White Belt privileges and excusals from EST being examined for cadets under a certain GPA (similar to Sophomore year)

The problem with these first one ends the engagement cadre have with the fish and their reason for being there. Upperclassmen on cadre spend all year working to be selected for it and this removes the ability to be the one training your fish.To expand on this, we have been informed that on 22NOV fish will be promoted from "fish" to "Private". We assume this is all in the name of retention/attrition as that is a large priority to get us to 3,000 cadets (Attrition has been a huge issue within the Corps as well as getting fish to join as we had the smallest fish class in four years.) However, with a change in title there must also be a change in responsibilities if they will truly be retained. This means that the way the Corps has operated fish year for decades is going to be fundamentally changed and truly make the Corps an easier experience.
gmess
TXAggieMom11
This makes it much easier to move cadets from unit to unit with no loyalty to any unit. Unit traditions will not exist.
jmadison2020
That is a great point. It also makes people more inclined to leave the Corps since they aren't staying in their outfits any longer. I am more concerned with the fact that it completely removes the identity of the Corps of Cadets itself. It is a fundamental change of the Corps of Cadets.
WGHarrell1943
All this is about is sanitizing outfit culture. The powers at be have decided that whatever culture the individual units have is opposing the overall agenda that they want to push. We have already seen this with I-1 on a small scale where they completely removed almost all of their upper classmen and replaced them with cadets from other outfits who agreed with what they wanted. Granted, that specific culture was not the greatest and could have used an update. However, that is not to say that ALL culture in every unit is bad. A lot of the "little t traditions" that outfits have is what make them unique and what continues to allow Texas A&M to produce quaility indiviuals of character who are mentally strong, both in the military and in the professional world. These changes fundamentally alter what it means to be in the Corps of Cadets.
Jross2019
I don't understand where the commandant is coming from with this. It is obvious that his goal is to lessen the attrition rate and recruit greater numbers to the corps, but how will that be possible with the destruction of outfit culture? There is no way for cadets to get real leadership experience when the corps is being led directly by CTOs. Outfit leadership will mean nothing by the start of next year, if it meant anything at all to begin with. There are no cadets who are interested in staying in a Corps that wants to destroy the individuality of each unit. These policy changes are stepping in the wrong direction and will lead to the smallest recruiting class that the Commandant staff has ever seen.

-Johnny Rossland
JKnight
I believe the new policies regulating morning PT will be detrimental to many outfits. The paces and distances that outfits will be required to run are not challenging enough. The training sergeants and officers in each outfit know the capabilities of their cadets more than anyone outside the outfit and should be responsible for making the training plans. Additionally, conducting PT on a major unit level will strip outfits of their culture.

Additionally, conducting Corps Brass on a Corps level instead of an outfit level will have the same effect. Many outfits have traditions in place that every fish class has participated in to earn their brass. This makes brass special to each individual on a level that could not be achieved if Corps Brass is done as a corps.

Outfit culture is what separates A&M from other senior military colleges and the service academies. No other military organization allows individuals to choose their unit. Outfit culture spurs competition within the corps and competition spurs excellence. Standardizing the corps will do nothing but lower moral.
Furgus12
AG
Outfit culture won't just diminish, it will be utterly destroyed by these policy changes (particularly in PT/Training/Corps Brass)

Not only are these PT standards detrimental to the outfit cultures, they are also so low that if you were to run at that pace you wouldn't be able to pass a corps PFT (particularly the <2 miles at a 9min). Unless the corps plans on lowering the PFT standards as well.

No wonder the ROTCs are having separate PT, their contracts won't be getting enough of a workout with the corps itself.

This is not a progressive change that most organizations go through. This is a fundamental altering of the identity of the Corps of Cadets.
Outfit cultures are being diminished for the sake of equality.
Every small change made in the Corps is justified by GRam as "its only a little T tradition"
Example: Midnight yell has become a joke compared to previous years. As a fish I looked forward to seeing my juniors stand on the field and smoke themselves. Today only a 1/3rd of the juniors are allowed on the field during midnight yell to make room for folks to buy tickets onto the field during midnight yell. As someone who has witnessed this change midnight yells attendance has dramatically dropped to an abysmal level.
When cadets tried to organize a petition to combat this they were threatened with discipline and possible expulsion from the Corps for their actions.

The Corps is no longer a student run organization. In fact it has lost so much with regards to student leadership that other student organizations on campus now mock it. EXAMPLE: The PAID president when speaking in a class and having stated that PAID was the largest student run organization on campus...was asked "isn't the corps the largest student run organization." She responded with laughter "The corps is no longer a student run organization."

The University itself is now more concerned with building a hotel and new athletic complexes, rather than maintaining its traditions and values which have distinguished it from other Universities for the last 145 years.

If the the "Keepers of the Spirit" fail to keep the traditions and values of this University, then who can.

Paul Brown
The recent announcement to the Corps key leaders of the new policy changes is absolutely appalling. It is the final confirmation that the Commandant does not trust, nor does he care what the cadets want for their Corps, as he only hears what he's told by the cadets he himself selects. Even these cadets he selected now have no power. He has created a Corps of puppets, not of leaders.

This policy is the greatest indicator we've seen so far of the Commandant's total lack of leadership capability. Every year under this commandant the Corps has changed little by little and every year we are told that these changes are for the best and every year a growing number of us feel more and more uncomfortable at the changes. Yet when we speak up about it we're told to stop being stuck in the past and to get with the times. However That is a terrible argument, progress for the sake of progress is not only foolish, it is destructive to the organization. What has made A&M great is its commitment to tradition and to the preservation of our values. This is not the case at this university anymore though, now we're told that "little t" traditions aren't real traditions, that our values aren't worth standing up to outside pressure.

Periodically I see the articles from the Mugdown talking about the changes going on in the Corps, after this latest change those articles don't seem so much like satire as much as they do a warning

If we continue down this path A&M will no longer be the School that we all loved and love, but just another public university that churns out workers just like everywhere else.

One of the proudest days of my life was the first time I put on my Aggie ring, because of the hard work I had put in to get it and the benefit it would confer upon me after graduation. All that is being spit on now by the Commandant and President, as they work to change the Corps and university into their own personal vision of what they think our school should look like.

P Brown
jmadison2020
WGHarrell1943 said:

All this is about is sanitizing outfit culture. The powers at be have decided that whatever culture the individual units have is opposing the overall agenda that they want to push. We have already seen this with I-1 on a small scale where they completely removed almost all of their upper classmen and replaced them with cadets from other outfits who agreed with what they wanted. Granted, that specific culture was not the greatest and could have used an update. However, that is not to say that ALL culture in every unit is bad. A lot of the "little t traditions" that outfits have is what make them unique and what continues to allow Texas A&M to produce quaility indiviuals of character who are mentally strong, both in the military and in the professional world. These changes fundamentally alter what it means to be in the Corps of Cadets.
That is the problem I see with all of this. I understand the reasoning behind the Commandant's decision to make these changes and I share the concerns he does about attrition. I believe that in his decision making process the Office of the Commandant overlooked the reasoning behind why people don't quit. The policy proposed here would directly target the reasons why most cadets stay, Outfit Culture and the overall identity of the Corps of Cadets.

WGHarrell1943
Your point about what it means to put on you Aggie Ring for the first time was right on the nose. That outward symbol connected me to my sister and my mother. To all Aggies that came before, for that matter. It connected me to my upperclassmen that I respect and gave me another tradition that I shared with them. Its a tradition that we, as Aggies, hold dear. Its an outward symbol of not only completing 90 hours, but that you agree with and support the symbols on the Ring itself. The Texas Seal encircled by the olive oak leaves symbolizes our desire for peace, but also our willingness to fight. Just like Muster and Silver Taps, these traditions are what we hold dear, they are what we believe in.
Arrow75
The commandant making these decisions is the same one that, a few years ago, told cadets that had labs that required potential activity, sometimes outdoors, that would mess up a uniform, that they HAD to wear Class Bs, even their senior boots. Not long after you see pictures of him on an official recruiting trip to El Paso and what is he wearing? ACUs, or whatever they call their camo fatigues today. I'm sure there were some cadets taking advantage of the uniform situation, but there is an expensive investment in uniforms and boots that could get ruined in a wet lab. There's a time and place for ACUs, like labs. I'm sure there would be serious repercussions for a cadet wearing ACUs on a recruiting trip as there should be. For him? Not so much.

The fact that CTOs are now being put in charge of more and more of the day to day shows they have reached a micromanagement level that hasn't been seen in the Corps. He is gradually taking more and more away from the cadets and the Corps identity as a whole is slowly slipping away.
WGHarrell1943
Agreed. If you look at any special unit in the military today SEALs, PJs, Army SF, and Rangers, their attrition rates are insanely high. With that said, people still apply to try out for the sole fact that it is hard, there is never a shortage of people willing to try. Completing these schools is an accomplishment. I believe decreasing the standards in the Corps of Cadets will have the opposite affect on attrition. Prospects will join based on the stories they have heard from Old Ags and think this will be challenging and rewarding, but once they get here they will realize how far it has fallen and will have no desire to stay.
WGHarrell1943
We further see this in the changes to the Evening Study Time policy. No longer are the SODs who sit in the hall even from the outfit. They are juniors from other outfits. He no longer trusts the individual outfits with the responsibility to monitor their own hallways. This furthers the argument that the Corps does not produce leaders, it producers puppets and people who will blindly pass down controversial policies simply because they were told to.
Arrow75
With these policies you lose the engagement of the whitebelts other than the CO/1SG because no one wants to deal with CTOs or yes-man cadets. It becomes more and more difficult for the cadet leadership to be successful when they are constantly undermined/micromanaged by overzealous CTOs.
jd.sully5221
The bottom line is no other SMC has the same kind of outfit culture we do. Other SMCs PT only with their ROTC units, are forced into certain outfits, and can easily be tossed between them. While from an administrative standpoint this might sound great, we Cadets chose A&M over those other SMCs because we are different. Nobody has the same culture as we do, and it shows out in the real world. Former Cadets have risen to do fantastic things, and they all point back to the experiences they had in their outfit as a Cadet. We create great leaders not because of the leadership of a few up on the major unit level, but because everybody has the opportunity to make things happen from the outfit level to the Corps level.
jmadison2020
jd.sully5221 said:

The bottom line is no other SMC has the same kind of outfit culture we do. Other SMCs PT only with their ROTC units, are forced into certain outfits, and can easily be tossed between them. While from an administrative standpoint this might sound great, we Cadets chose A&M over those other SMCs because we are different. Nobody has the same culture as we do, and it shows out in the real world. Former Cadets have risen to do fantastic things, and they all point back to the experiences they had in their outfit as a Cadet. We create great leaders not because of the leadership of a few up on the major unit level, but because everybody has the opportunity to make things happen from the outfit level to the Corps level.
This is the exact point we are trying to bring up. We have to look at WHY people stay and use that to shape Corps policy. All of us can look at attrition issues, over 20% of freshmen across the Quad have punched this year, and recognize that as an issue. We as Cadets can recognize the issue and we are trying to push our answer as a better solution.
John Goodman 17
From a very reliable and several times over verified source, during the brief yesterday Col. Starnes said "Cadets do not run the Corps." He claimed that we get to lead it, but not run it, as well as that the myth that cadets run the Corps is harmful to the Corps. I think that highlights everything these changes are about. It is their own stated agenda to control the Corps instead of providing Cadets (who are adults by the way, not children) the opportunity to lead their organization and decide what matters. These changes are detrimental, and a large leap being taken after the waters were tested and showed that Cadets will not stick up for their freedom on a unified front. But that can change if we decide it can, and get momentum. This is not the Corps that has been hailed for the great men, women, and officers it has produced. This is a sad shadow pretending to be a great organization, while stealing every day the one thing it claims to teach: leadership. It's time cadets care enough to stand up, and speak so that we are heard.
jmadison2020
John Goodman 17 said:

From a very reliable and several times over verified source, during the brief yesterday Col. Starnes said "Cadets do not run the Corps." He claimed that we get to lead it, but not run it, as well as that the myth that cadets run the Corps is harmful to the Corps. I think that highlights everything these changes are about. It is their own stated agenda to control the Corps instead of providing Cadets (who are adults by the way, not children) the opportunity to lead their organization and decide what matters. These changes are detrimental, and a large leap being taken after the waters were tested and showed that Cadets will not stick up for their freedom on a unified front. But that can change if we decide it can, and get momentum. This is not the Corps that has been hailed for the great men, women, and officers it has produced. This is a sad shadow pretending to be a great organization, while stealing every day the one thing it claims to teach: leadership. It's time cadets care enough to stand up, and speak so that we are heard.
If only we had the ability to speak up without having both ourselves and our outfit targeted as a result.
Knox1789
I have said this since the beginning, every attempt to improve corps retention has only served to breed dissent and ill feelings towards the commandant. If he continues along this path I firmly believe that corps retention will worsen exponentially as we have already seen evidence of (below 800 in class of 2020 compared to almost 900 in class of 2019).
oldarmybthob
When I came to A&M in my freshman year, I had no idea what this school was. I learned that the Corps could be a place that would test my mettle. It challenged me as a freshman, with 9 mile runs and working out harder than I ever had before. I remember actually having to eat square meals with unrelenting criticism. No slack was given, no excuses were taken, and I was not allowed to give anything less than what my upperclassmen deemed was my best.

It has fallen to be only a shadow of it's former self. As an upperclassman, I hear stories of MUCs abusing their power, backdoor deals with upper leadership and Commandant's Staff. I hear about injustices occurring on what seems like an almost daily basis. The Corps is becoming an organization that I have rapidly lost interest in being a part of.

"Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men." The Corps is quickly becoming a joke. It's a laughingstock. And yet it's not, it's not even funny how pathetic it is becoming. I can't tell you how many overweight cadets I see every day, how many uniforms are treated with a lack of respect and pride, and how the attitude of the Corps as a whole is not a positive one. The Corps forces it's version of "leadership" down your throat. They have Military Science classes that talk about how negative reinforcement is not effective, and then immediately turn around and do that themselves. The Corps now actively encourages Cadets to turn one another in, to claim they were hazed when they weren't, and is quickly pussifying the boys joining it. The Corps used to make men. Now it just pretends to. Retention is the only goal of the Corps nowadays, and limiting attrition at any cost. That cost is the quality of the members of the Corps, the caliber of the Cadets. Standards are quickly falling. Our grades may be getting better, but what does it matter if we allow members to become overweight, lazy, unmotivated, and a blight on the image of the Corps? I have witnessed a transformation in the short few years that I've been here that is unlike any other. I have discovered injustices that occur on an almost daily basis. I have found flaws with both the Corps of Cadets and Texas A&M that no one seems to want to address, for fear of reprisal, and for fear of being ostracized by their own fellow Aggies and Cadets. It is a shame when you look at what our organization is becoming, and I hope this will change soon. It is time to bring the focus back around to creating a Cadet that is strong, both physically and mentally. The coddling needs to stop, and the men need to step forward to lead. That includes women who are able to meet that standard as well. If not - then this is not the place for you. We should not drop our standards to accommodate you, you should rise to the occasion.

Not to get off topic, but these latest policy changes are just another nail in the coffin for the Corps of Cadets. The only reason I received such a stellar experience my freshman year is due to the outfit I joined. If that outfit did not value it's history, take pride in it's predecessors, and uphold our traditions, it would have been an unremarkable experience like the ones I'm hearing about now.
oldarmybthob
Another large problem is the very real, and very legitimate fear of retribution if a Cadet speaks out. It's easy to say "Step forward and say something if you don't agree with it", but the current cadets are the ones who stand the most to lose. From their contracts, to their in-state tuition, to hard earned positions in their outfits, Cadets will think twice before opening their mouth because they don't want to be marked by General Ramirez and his staff. The fear of losing their future before it has begun is too great, and it's a shame that this is the environment that the Commandant of the Corps has instilled.
rilloaggie
AG
HOLY ROOKIES, BATMAN!!!
JKnight
The standardization of the corps and lowering of standards is obviously creating resentment toward the corps and the commandant. If outfits are given more leadership and ability to run themselves it will promote competition and competition breeds excellence as I mentioned before. This will create a better and stronger corps than any that has ever existed. Instead we are being put on very short leashes and not being given the chance to show what we are really made of. A strong corps will attract strong freshmen and retention will be irrelevant.
JABQ04
AG
NM.
When I have time I'll post a better rebuttal to rook fest. FWIW, the sky is not falling. Take a breath and you'll be fine.

Also in before the commandant gets on here (which he does for you rookies) and tells you to talk to him like an adult instead of liking each other's post on an anonymous forum. Like any good military organization if you have a legit concern or complainant you can bring it up with the appropriate amount of tact. No one wants a yes man, but no one wants someone to try to call them out on something in an attempt to undermine them. That never ends well
WGHarrell1943
It boils down to the cadets having no legitimate way to Request Mast and are not protected when voicing concerns. From past experience, I have been shot down more than I have been heard when voicing a dissenting opinion. I have a real fear I will be kicked out instead of listened to.
Comeby!
AG
These concerns from within need to get out and the commandant needs to address this. These rookie accounts are Corps of cadet high ranking leaders needing an anonymous voice to prevent repercussions.

One person is not above the corps. It's a student run organization, like it's always been.
ordRV80
AG
Current cadets can not do anything about this. They have no power and will be persecuted by Ramirez and his minions. That is fact.

It is former cadets that have to take action. Stop contributing to the Corps Assoc. Make sure they know why.
As much as it hurts to say, stop having our kids join the Corps.

This has been an agenda by Ramirez since arrived. Death by 1000 cuts. All he cares about is a legacy of a bigger Corp with high retention and nothing is sacred in establishing that legacy.

Former Cadets need a leader to galvanize opposition to Ramirez and take back the Corps.
Soldier, Statesman, Knightly Gentleman
Swing Your Saber
Not comenting on anything else but those run times are absurdly slow. As in Bush Middle School 7th Grade Girls Cross Country runs faster than that. Middle school girls run faster. The Corps standard (for adults) will literally be slower than 7th grade girls.
RossLawrence1876
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Churchill
RBuffett24
They say that the most dangerous thing for a fish is Old Army stories because they can get the fish into trouble. There is a lot of truth to that in today's Corps. However, it may be the only thing to save the Corps. Even though it is dangerous for fish to try to make memories based on stories from Old Army, the memories shared from Ol' Ags could be one of the only things giving hope to us. Knowing what we can revert back to gives meaning to fighting for what we believe in. All of the newly proposed changes are a step in the wrong direction however, if we all stand up together and prove that we will not be discourage and we will not conform to what has been imposed on us, we can create and leave a movement to grind back to what the Corps is really about.
Knox1789
Not only that but the juniors from other outfits don't know who is a trouble maker and who is not, who is allowed to leave and who is not, they don't know the rules of other outfits, there is a lack of order during SOD now because of this.
Knox1789
oldarmybthob said:

When I came to A&M in my freshman year, I had no idea what this school was. I learned that the Corps could be a place that would test my mettle. It challenged me as a freshman, with 9 mile runs and working out harder than I ever had before. I remember actually having to eat square meals with unrelenting criticism. No slack was given, no excuses were taken, and I was not allowed to give anything less than what my upperclassmen deemed was my best.

It has fallen to be only a shadow of it's former self. As an upperclassman, I hear stories of MUCs abusing their power, backdoor deals with upper leadership and Commandant's Staff. I hear about injustices occurring on what seems like an almost daily basis. The Corps is becoming an organization that I have rapidly lost interest in being a part of.

"Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men." The Corps is quickly becoming a joke. It's a laughingstock. And yet it's not, it's not even funny how pathetic it is becoming. I can't tell you how many overweight cadets I see every day, how many uniforms are treated with a lack of respect and pride, and how the attitude of the Corps as a whole is not a positive one. The Corps forces it's version of "leadership" down your throat. They have Military Science classes that talk about how negative reinforcement is not effective, and then immediately turn around and do that themselves. The Corps now actively encourages Cadets to turn one another in, to claim they were hazed when they weren't, and is quickly pussifying the boys joining it. The Corps used to make men. Now it just pretends to. Retention is the only goal of the Corps nowadays, and limiting attrition at any cost. That cost is the quality of the members of the Corps, the caliber of the Cadets. Standards are quickly falling. Our grades may be getting better, but what does it matter if we allow members to become overweight, lazy, unmotivated, and a blight on the image of the Corps? I have witnessed a transformation in the short few years that I've been here that is unlike any other. I have discovered injustices that occur on an almost daily basis. I have found flaws with both the Corps of Cadets and Texas A&M that no one seems to want to address, for fear of reprisal, and for fear of being ostracized by their own fellow Aggies and Cadets. It is a shame when you look at what our organization is becoming, and I hope this will change soon. It is time to bring the focus back around to creating a Cadet that is strong, both physically and mentally. The coddling needs to stop, and the men need to step forward to lead. That includes women who are able to meet that standard as well. If not - then this is not the place for you. We should not drop our standards to accommodate you, you should rise to the occasion.

Not to get off topic, but these latest policy changes are just another nail in the coffin for the Corps of Cadets. The only reason I received such a stellar experience my freshman year is due to the outfit I joined. If that outfit did not value it's history, take pride in it's predecessors, and uphold our traditions, it would have been an unremarkable experience like the ones I'm hearing about now.
I now firmly believe that any good man that comes out of the corps it is either by accident or by the influence of another student organization. The corps does not create leaders, not anymore.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Major sockage on this thread
HollywoodBQ
AG
Furgus12 said:

Example: Midnight yell has become a joke compared to previous years. As a fish I looked forward to seeing my juniors stand on the field and smoke themselves. Today only a 1/3rd of the juniors are allowed on the field during midnight yell to make room for folks to buy tickets onto the field during midnight yell. As someone who has witnessed this change midnight yells attendance has dramatically dropped to an abysmal level.
What? You can buy tickets to get on the field at Midnight Yell? Link/Details please.

I've been to Midnight Yell each of the past 4 years that my non-reg daughter has been attending A&M and I'd say the attendance is up or at least average. But, that might have to do with which games I attended. None of them were against "big league" programs. It was all NM St., Western Carolina or UTEP and one more I can't recall off-hand. It's not like our Football program is on a playoff run or anything. You want to fill up Kyle for Midnight Yell, play somebody stronger than Prairie View or Texas State in the non-conference schedule and run the table on Alabama, LSU and Auburn in the same season.

My only beef with Midnight Yell was last year watching two Bugle Rank members dressed as Minnie and Mickey Mouse make out. I guess in this era, I should just be greatful that it wasn't Mickey Mouse and Daffy Duck.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.