Aggie Veteran owned social enterprise reaching out to the power of TexAgs

1,081 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by momlaw
ord04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy Ags,

Got a little story for you. Keith here, Fighting Texas Aggie Class of '04 from San Antonio. After commissioning from A&M I spent 9.5 years in the Army, most of it downrange in Iraq and Afghanistan.

After leaving the Army a few of my veteran colleagues and myself have started a social enterprise, Rumi Spice. We sell premium high quality saffron direct from farmers in Afghanistan with the aim of catalyzing economic development.

We've been operating for 2.5 years and have provided over half a million in foreign direct investment in the Afghanistan saffron industry. Our farmer network has grown from 10 farmers to nearly 100. Each farmer has doubled and tripled their saffron production since working with us. We hire nearly 300 Afghan women in our processing centers and are the leaders in the industry when it comes to saffron quality.

Here's my ask of the Aggie Network. We are looking to provide farmer training in food safety and quality control, with USDA Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) standard. We are looking for subject matter experts who could assist with developing train the material and a train the trainer curriculum. If anyone has any information please contact me at name(above)@rumispice.com

Otherwise please check us out. Would love to get the Aggie network involved in this most Aggie of ventures.

Keith '04
champagnepapi
Just entered the pipeline for civil affairs. Maybe I'll see you down range in the farming realm.
momlaw
AG
Have you found the resources you need?
Also, have you posted on Food and Spirits board?
I know a combat veteran Aggie student about to graduate with Food Science degree. He is out of pocket until after Spring Break, though is interested in helping you identify resources if still needed.

Edited to add you can put your contact information in your profile so he or others can make direct contact.
Also, saw your products on The Grommet yesterday. Good work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.