A question for weapons expert

1,591 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Trinity Ag
airplane driver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I was re-watching "Hornblower" and in the climatic scene Captain Pellelew kills the bad guy with a shot of about 300 yards with a Musket. Since it takes place in the 1700s, I was wondering if that shot was possible with a weapon of that vintage. I am assuming it was a standard issue weapon for the British marine.
JABQ04
AG
Never seen the series but since it is set during Napoleonic times it could have been a Baker rifle. I'd also imagine a musket could kill at that distance, but it would have to be pure luck.
DogCo84
AG
Since officers generally purchased their own weapons, it could very well be that a Royal Marine officer of the Napoleonic era might own a Baker Rifle. Based purely on my reading of Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe" series, I generally think of the Baker's effective range as around 200 yards. That said, I saw this in the Wikipedia article re the Baker:

Quote:

The accuracy of the rifle in capable hands is most famously demonstrated at the Battle of Cacabelos (during Moore's retreat to Corunna in 1809) by the action of Rifleman Thomas Plunkett (or Plunket) of the 1st Battalion, 95th Rifles, who shot French General Colbert at an unknown but long range (as much as 600 yards (550 m) according to some sources). He then shot Colbert's aide-de-camp, Latour-Maubourg, who went to the aid of his general, suggesting that the success of the first shot was not due to luck.

That rifleman Plunkett and others were able to regularly hit targets at ranges considered to be beyond the rifle's effective range speaks for both their marksmanship and the capabilities of the rifle.
Based on all of this, my opinion is: Why not?
Rabid Cougar
AG
Not with an aimed shot from a musket. Brown Bess doesn't even have rear sites. Baker Rifle is a totally different animal. Have personally witnessed consistent hits on man size target from 200 yards with round ball. 300 yards is pushing it even to hit a target much less hit him where it kills him.

I am looking out my window at my neighbors house I know it is 556 yards to his front door (He is gun ***** and has a laser range finder). That is a long freaking shot with my 1862 Enfield with a Minnie ball. I think I could hit his house. Hum (curiosity wheels turning!!!!!!)
Trinity Ag
S
Glancing at the episode, you don't get a great look at the Gun or distance -- but I would put the range closer to 50-75 yards than 300.

Pellew's weapon is definitely not a Baker rifle. My guess is that it is some version of a Brown Bess Carbine, based on the brass at the end of the stock, the brass ramrod retainer, and the sling swivel.

A 50-75 yard shot is definitely feasible, but damn difficult (and lucky) -- especially when made offhand -- hence the observation "Exceptionally fine shot, sir...if I may say so, sir"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.